Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Messenger Service Problem

I keep getting pop ups from something called 'Messenger Service'. Does anyone know what this is and how to disable it? At the moment I think it is related to the MSN Explorer on my computer but wanted to see if anyone else knows anything about this first.

Many Thanks

This is entirely different from MSN Messenger.

Windows Messenger can be used to send spam popups to people.

Go....Control Panel....Administrative Tools......Services....and scroll down until you find Messenger.......double click on it and Stop the service.

Go....Control Panel....Administrative Tools......Services....and scroll down until you find Messenger.......double click on it and Stop the service.

Thank You

I hate Windows Messenger, I have tried everything to stop it from loading when I start my computer (Including the above) and it still starts up. I've disabled it in the past but forget how, I need to play around with it again and figure it out.

We haven't had any problems for 8 months now by doing this. :)

I hate Windows Messenger, I have tried everything to stop it from loading when I start my computer (Including the above) and it still starts up. I've disabled it in the past but forget how, I need to play around with it again and figure it out.

The best thing to do would be to run a GOOD firewall like Sygate Pro or ZoneAlarm PRO which would make your system a lot more secure - and better yet they would both block PORT 135 UDP which is the port those Windows Messenger spam messages come through.

Or if you don't want to run a firewall (you really should though) check out this site Stop Messenger Spam