Sign in to follow this  
star_rose

Brent Spiner as doctor Soong: did you like it?

I love all the interpretations of Brent , but I think that in this case he was too "villain"- I think at his strange look. I don't understand why at the end he should return to his cell alone, without nobody with whom he could speak- it is horrible, in fact he wasn't a murderer, only a mad scientist.

I'm not sure of who we are talking about here?

When did Dr. Soong end up in a cell?

I'm not sure of who we are talking about here?

When did Dr. Soong end up in a cell?

On Enterprise. It was a two parter in their last season.

Probably their best season, IMO.

In the third episode of a three parter - The Augments (after Borderland and Cold Station 12), Dr. Arik Soong is put in a cell by his Augments. Interesting character - but I think Lore or Dr. Soong the "father" of Data are more intriguing characters for me.

Oh ok! I didn't know we were talking about the "Enterprise" episode since Brent also played Soong on TNG.

I loved the Augments Storyline. Spiner was once again his brilliant self and showed his versatility. The man's a tremendous actor, IMO.

What I love is how many characters Spiner acually plays I mean Soong, lore, data, and then b4... He's an amazing actor... with a big mouth... But I prefer Spiner as Data just for the simple fact that everyone can at some point relate to some struggle with me I have always struggled with emotions comes with the way I grew up so to see Data struggle to understand his emotions I could kinda feel like hey I'm not alone but thats just me Spiner is just better as Data.. Lore is to evil and Soong is a crack pot old fool and B4 is just such an innocent young character with Data you get to see him evolve and thats what good acting is thats what makes a good character

What I love is how many characters Spiner acually plays I mean Soong, lore, data, and then b4... He's an amazing actor... with a big mouth... But I prefer Spiner as Data just for the simple fact that everyone can at some point relate to some struggle with me I have always struggled with emotions comes with the way I grew up so to see Data struggle to understand his emotions I could kinda feel like hey I'm not alone but thats just me Spiner is just better as Data.. Lore is to evil and Soong is a crack pot old fool and B4 is just such an innocent young character with Data you get to see him evolve and thats what good acting is thats what makes a good character

Brent played in fact a lot of characters; one of my favourites is his performance in OUT TO SEA, a movie with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon. He is a strange director of cruise, but he is very funny!!!

i just think the last season of enterpise was a last ditch effort to copy episodes that were already done in series pasts or re-doing them. this was one of those last ditch efforts just to get rathings up again. because i see it like this:

a. you understand more what caused the war between the augments and the humans, but you don't really get to see how kahn or his people excaped.

b. the episode where they deal with the borg but in reality, doesn't happen for another 289 years in the TNG universe

c. the only good 2 part episode that was great, is when they pulled off In a Mirror Darkly. you see the begining of the Terran Empire, and not to mention it takes place right after a great TOS episode mid way.

there, im done ranting.

I loved the Augments Storyline. Spiner was once again his brilliant self and showed his versatility. The man's a tremendous actor, IMO.

I totally agree :P

all i have to say is he killed himself in neminsis.

he didn't kill himself. He sacrified his life in order to save the enterprise. It is different. But I think that he was so friend to picard that he couldn't see him die.

B4 remains, and Data put a little of himself into B4. There are always possibilities for the develpoment of that character.

I agree with those who say that Spiner is a good character actor. Each of his incarnations of the various androids and Dr. Soong's are easily separated from thhe others. In the three-part Enterprise series, I think the ending with Dr. Soong thinking about switching his scientific interests was an appropriate ending. It is clear he passed his new interests on to descendants, and hence Data and the others were 'born.'

This is also what I liked about Season 4 of Enterprise. There was a lot of what I would expect of a pre-quel...the beginnings of what was to come later. So I liked the story about the Borg, the story about Dr. Soong, and other references and connections to the later series.

I've ranted/lamented on Enterprise based threads before that because of how they messed up the programming schedule here, I could not easily watch ENT not too far into the series. They put the UPN programming after the FOX programming here, so what would be on at 8pm or 9pm was on at 11pm or midnight.

But, I happened to be awake the night that one of the three in the story arc was on. Being a fan of Brent(and have now for almost 20 years), I was thrilled that of any episode I could catch it was one of the ones he was in. I have to say that I did like his performance as Arik.

My sister is a bit of a night owl, being up with her two young children, and did get to catch the whole story arc when it was rerun. From what she told me, my sister highly enjoyed all three episodes.

i'll only say that the two episodes that brent was in i enjoyed very much, because it not only give the seeds to show the soong's family understanding of human understanding...which would be pretty understandable why the dr. soong of the 24 century gave data the buliding blocks to make him what he was before destroyed by the remans.....

Bah, Enterprise, no offense y'all but I thought the whole series was terrible. Then again, that's what they said about TOS at first *shrugs*. I never saw that episode, but I gotta say Spiner's portrayal of Dr. Soong in TNG was pretty bad. I mean, what was that lump on his head?? And the voice... ugh. Oh, and about Nemesis, I am probably one of the only people in the universe who thinks that it wasn't THAT terrible (at any rate, Data's death was pretty sad). Hey, it was a feat of engineering just to keep Data looking as young as he did in TNG!

The chief problem with it for me, is that they almost never made it clear that it was ARIK Soong, and not Noonien.

Other than that, it just wasn't well written. Well acted, but not that well written.

Actually, I thought that it was made clear that it was Arik Soong and not Noonien in the ENT Episodes.

Even I figured that much out... :biggrin:

I can't see anyone else playing any ancestor of Soong, especially since Data and Lore were supposed to look like Dr. Noonien Soong. Just makes sense.

I do agree that the character was a bit too "villinish," though. I love Brent but could there have been a tad bit of overacting? (Please, don't set your phasers to kill. Stun will do just fine. :tribble:)

Actually, I think Brent was the only bright spot in "Insurrection." Too bad that that movie is part of his resume(and the Star Trek Universe.).