Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

What's with Sunday morning television

I'm guessing the younger members of this board are still basking in one of youth's benefits - being able to stay up late Saturday night and sleep til noon on Sunday. Alas, I have reached the point of waking up early no matter how much I want to sleep late.

So, what's the deal with Sunday morning television. Early morning television in general is abysmal - "paid programming" a/k/a infomercials. I can also understand why given my locale the local stations may carry religious programming but I still can't figure why the Discovery Channel is broadcasting Joel Osteen. It seems to me if people are intentionally up early on Sunday they either have small children (who somehow only like cartoons on Saturday but not Sunday), they're working in the yard, going somewhere or they are going to church - so why is every channel religious programming?

Does this happen where you live or is it a Southern thing?

Perhaps larger metropolitan areas have more choices. I've been in Chcago for 24 years (which boggles my mind!) so that is my main frame of reference. I do return to Western Illinois on a regular basis, a smaller media market and that sounds more like what you're describing, including religious programming. I also don't always get up that early on Sundays :eek: .

In Chicago, there are more choices on regular TV and there are 2 good PBS stations - one of which is showing cartoons this Sunday morning. (I agree the lack of more cartoons on Sunday morning is rather illogical!) :blink: I tend to watch the TV news shows on Sunday morning (Tim Russert, George S. etc... When you add on the cable stations there are more choices - though a lot of junk too. CNN, C-Span, Sci-Fi and History Channel often have interesting things, also Food Channel, Travel Channel and Movie Channel.

The number of infomercials is indeed mind numbing. TV Programming in general is far too bleak with limited choices imo.

Up here we get a mixture. It seems to start off with the Sunday local news followed by the national news programs (Meet The Press, et al) and then they show cartoons.

I understand this. My worship service is in the afternoon so i wake up early and there is NOTHING on the television.

So I listen to music and read.

as far back as I can remember, nothing has been on TV on Sundays, especially on the local stations. Like what was said, the networks figure that a lot of their audience is at church in the mornings, so they don't bother running regular TV and resorts to informercials. Thank goodness I have a satellite dish, at least they have CNN or cartoons on Cartoon Network if nothing else in the morning