Sign in to follow this  
Tina

Spelling

Do you care about Spelling on a Messege board  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is spelling Important?

• Yes-Spelling on the internet as well as a messege board is important to me
    • No-Its the overall argument that interests me
    • Actually I care about both
    • Neither are important to me

I have always worried about my spelling. Even with a college eductaion I have horrible spelling and sme times my arguments are incoherant. I have noticed many people refuse to look past bad spelling and ignore the persons argument/post/thread entirely. Even though some people's first language may not be English.

What are your guys opnions on this?

Spelling has always been important to me, even on the internet. People have gotten annoyed at me for IMing in full words before. However, I recognize that it is necessary at times, in chat rooms or (although this is not internet) text messages, where one must only have a certain number of characters. The only place it really bothers me is in serious, long stories. I enjoy fanfiction and the like, but I will not read it if it is full of spelling errors. Other than that, while it annoys me, I can generally look past it in an informal context.

Spelling is important to me also. The whole English language in the USA has been slowly degrading for decades. If you looked at how people talked and wrote just 30 years ago and compared it to today, the results are shocking. Back in the late 1800s, many people didn't get much schooling because they had to help their family by working. Yet these cowboys spoke better English than most people today. I also get very annoyed when I read an article or a book and find misspelled words. Don't they even proof-read them anymore?

An argument of style vs. substance. Why compromise either? Who says you can't have both? Having the right ideas is paramount. No one would deny that. However, in order to be taken seriously, yes, spelling is important. Whatever your feelings toward President Bush, you have to admit that his poor ability to express himself in clear and proper English, complete with phrasing that eliminates the kind of ambiguity that continues to feed jokesmiths worldwide, inhibits his ability to draw support and command respect. Sophistry is something that truly cannot be underestimated. The allure of wonderfully woven paragraphs can make rebuttal difficult.

Myself, I'm fairly anal retentive about spelling, and I often find myself being the same way about grammar, but to a lesser extent. In casual conversation, I do use abbreviations and internet acronyms, and those who are notoriously atrocious spellers will usually have their continuous blunders overlooked in favor of the argument, but even then, it's hard to take them seriously.

My answer as usual is - it depends. If you mean posting a reply to a thread and make a typo - as long as people can determine your meaning I don't see that it makes a difference. But some grammatical errors such as missing words can radically change the meaning of your post (like the differnce between agree "do agree" and "do not agree") and some misspells are undeterminable; so simple proofreading is important if you want your idea to get across. I find that grammar is usually more relevant than simple misspellings.

Also some people think everyone knows or uses the same acronyms they do - they don't.

I agree that in formal publications - print or internet that spelling and grammar are equally important.

I am a horrible speller, and I am very embarrassed by it, so I understand simples errors, but they still bother me. It also bothers me when people use internet shorthand, instead of just writing out the word. But it's more improper capitalization that bothers me. I hate seeing "i" and sentences ending without a period.

I prefer proper spelling/grammar/punctuation/etc, but if the discussion is interresting enough and the person/people I am debating with are capable of expressing themselves well enough, despite errors, then I will overlook them. God knows, I screw up plenty of times myself.

I care about myself messing up, but I don't care if anyone else does because I know I do. I don't really think it is important, what is important is if they understand what I am trying to say. Sometimes, I type so fast, that I will accidentally misspell a word, not complete the word or forget to add a word.

Yes Spelling on the internet is as important to me as on the Message Boards on all those that I subscribe to ("my favorite websites")as well as instant messaging ("ICQ") and I try to make few spelling mistakes in the chatrooms I go to as well if thats at all possible.

I have always worried about my spelling. Even with a college eductaion I have horrible spelling and sme times my arguments are incoherant. I have noticed many people refuse to look past bad spelling and ignore the persons argument/post/thread entirely. Even though some people's first language may not be English.

I usually spell pretty well, and I often hope others could too. But, I know that there are a lot of people on the internet do not commonly use English in their daily life. So, for the most part, I try not to be hypercritical of it. Unless it is so mangled that I cannot understand a word of it, that is a bit of a headache.

Edited by Yillara_Skye

I usually spell pretty well, and I often hope others could too. But, I know that there are a lot of people on the internet do not commonly use English in their daily life. So, for the most part, I try not to be hypercritical of it. Unless it is so mangled that I cannot understand a word of it, that is a bit of a headache.

If you're concerned that people here will be critical of you if your spelling isn't perfect, I would say please post and don't be overly worried. This is a pretty friendly board, and almost everybody makes some mistakes sometimes. I prefer good spelling, but am an imperefect speller. I do try to proofread what I type before hitting send and of course, everyone can always edit after a post if they choose. I want to hear what other say and so I say, post your views, and post often! :)

On a messageboard, I am not really bothered, I blame it on typing errors, but it winds me up on websites. All website code should be validated, and the content should always be spell checked.

I used to spell check on here, but I find it long-winded, I just post the message.

If you're concerned that people here will be critical of you if your spelling isn't perfect, I would say please post and don't be overly worried. This is a pretty friendly board, and almost everybody makes some mistakes sometimes. I prefer good spelling, but am an imperefect speller. I do try to proofread what I type before hitting send and of course, everyone can always edit after a post if they choose. I want to hear what other say and so I say, post your views, and post often! :)

I am not worried about this board. I happen to know for a fact that the mods are really doing thier job (HI AE - HI DIL) I just have had some experiences where when I have posted (other boards ofcourse) instead of taking my whole post into context it would be how stupid I was. Which annoyed me to no end. This was also the board where the Mods would instigate fights through trolling. Lovely huh.

In your response to proofreading- I am sure most of us do that to beging with. Its just sometimes in the heat of a discussion people tend to forget to