Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Chef

Is it better that they never showed "Chef" on ENT so they could use Riker to play him in an episode later in the series or would you have liked to have seen the real Chef?

I like the fact that they never showed Chef. It was humorous and mysterious all at the same time.

Riker could have played Chef even if they had shown Chef. Imitating 'famous' people was often a part of holodeck fantasy.

I think they did not show Chef because they did not think about him as a recrring character until after the cast was set.

I like the idea of keeping him hidden. I mean if they were to show him, you'd either have to have a over-the-top cameo appearance from a famous TV chef (or Dom DeLuise, since he looks like a TV chef...he just does) or some no-name that would be a scribble in the annals of Trek canon.

I mean, would you really like to have a fantastic meal aboard Enterprise, only to find out it was prepared by this guy?

SwedishChefSmall.jpg

It didn't bother me one way or the other whether or not they ever showed who Chef was. Or even gave him a name. Other than "Chef".

kinda like wilson (home improvement)or morty (the nanny) or the stig (top gear) or last but not least the way that morn chats so much is kinda the same set up. So i like it

Riker could have played Chef even if they had shown Chef. Imitating 'famous' people was often a part of holodeck fantasy.

I think they did not show Chef because they did not think about him as a recrring character until after the cast was set.

well the only way they could of made him a come back for a few more episodes is to would probably just salvage the series in general and not to mention you would have to have a episode persoanlly for frakes. i mean bascally he'd be what Doc on voyager was, an listener, and an joker.

Ooh, we did see Chef in one episode though... at least most of Chef. In "The Catwalk," Chef walks by and hands crew members their dinners. Though we never see his face, this is the (what I believe is) lone appearance of Chef.

Ooh, we did see Chef in one episode though... at least most of Chef. In "The Catwalk," Chef walks by and hands crew members their dinners. Though we never see his face, this is the (what I believe is) lone appearance of Chef.

And we did see someone serving meals in the Cpatain's Mess from time to time. But all we saw was a hand with a platter in it, and a uniform. Never saw the face. I wonder if that might have been Chef too? We may never know.....

How great would it have been if they had actually shown chef and he was played by Isaac Hayes?.... :biggrin:

How great would it have been if they had actually shown chef and he was played by Isaac Hayes?.... :biggrin:

Now that would have been funny. :dude:

And we did see someone serving meals in the Cpatain's Mess from time to time. But all we saw was a hand with a platter in it, and a uniform. Never saw the face. I wonder if that might have been Chef too? We may never know.....

We do know, though. In the episode where we first meet Daniels, he mentions that he switched shifts with someone for the duties to serve the captain his meals. So from that, we can assume that Archer had a crewman bring him his meals, and that Chef never left the kitchen, except in "Catwalk" where one of them actually says, "Thanks Chef."

We do know, though. In the episode where we first meet Daniels, he mentions that he switched shifts with someone for the duties to serve the captain his meals. So from that, we can assume that Archer had a crewman bring him his meals, and that Chef never left the kitchen, except in "Catwalk" where one of them actually says, "Thanks Chef."

Which is probably the case.

kinda like wilson (home improvement)or morty (the nanny) or the stig (top gear) or last but not least the way that morn chats so much is kinda the same set up. So i like it

It's the same thing. We never saw Chef, and we never heard Morn talk, and I like both :)

i probably would of liked to see chef, just like if he was a member of the crew doing something besides as ships chef...like i don't know...assistant chief engineer or comms officer.