Sign in to follow this  
Guest Garzo

Khan Noonien Singh vs. Dr. Noonian Soong

Guest Garzo

So here we have an old TOS villain, Khan Noonien Singh, and a TNG android inventor, Dr. Noonian Soong. Is the similarity in their names just a wild coincidence, or do writeres just pick things out from the Trek encyclopedia? What's really going on?

Oh my God! I can't believe I've never even noticed that! That would be like naming your kid Napolian.

I believe it was in the season 5 special features of the TNG DVDs where they explained this. Gene Roddenberry had a friend named Noonien Singh when he was in the military. They lost touch and Mr. Roddenberry had hoped that his old friend would contact him when he named characters after him. They don't say whether Mr. Singh did or not but I would assume he hadn't by the time TNG started since they named Dr. Soong after him too.

Guest Garzo

Hmm. Well, that certainly sounds like an interesting reason. I'm just glad the movie wasn't called "The Wrath of Khan Noonien Singh." It just would have sounded too Bollywood.

Yes. I am ignorant...what is Bollywood? (or was it a typo?)

I know there was a movie that was out recently called Bollywood. It is a term used for the movie industry in India I believe.

Guest Garzo

Just that Khan Noonian Singh sounds very Indian (I think Khan actually was a super-powered Indian dictator or something before they shoved him off in the Botany Bay), and yes, Bollywood is the nickname for India's flourishing movie industry.

So it's not the real name, it's a joke...right? Also, I'm sure there was some movie that just came out called Bety in Bollywood or something (there was alliteration in the title, I remember that...)

Yes I think somewhere it was mentioned that Roddenberry's friend NEVER contacted him, even after the introduction of Dr. Soong in TNG.

Awww, poor guy. That's pretty sad that he went to all that effort for nothing... maybe the guy never watched the show...?

must have lived in a cave...

Lessa!!! That was funny, but true...Trek is everywhere, and you pretty much can't go anywhere without finding something related to trek! And would you go and completely ignore something that your friend has done????

Well, poor guy, he didn't know what he was missing (but b4 I started watching voyager and then TNG, I never had any idea anyone's name was Soong anything, so...)

True.

Too bad that the Khan books waited until now to come out, that may have gotten his attention.

I read the first one, it was very good. Had a little of everyone in it! Even the Equalizer! I loved that!

I loved the way, in the Kahn books, that they would add little conections the trekkers would get. Like in Volume two Robertia Lincoln hits one of Kahn's supermen with a copy of that mobster book that was in TOS. And Kooloth(sp?) was in it!

I loved the way, in the Kahn books, that they would add little conections the trekkers would get. Like in Volume two Robertia Lincoln hits one of Kahn's supermen with a copy of that mobster book that was in TOS. And Kooloth(sp?) was in it!

I just finished volume 1! I hope to star volume 2 as soon as I make it to the book store. What a great book!