Sign in to follow this  
Validus

Battlestar Galactica Season Three!

The original BSG was not a failed show - it was a popular show - often in the top ten - at least the top twenty. But it was simply too expensive to produce (this was pre CGI and the special effects were prohibitive for a tv series).

Off topic but do you remember the days before PC's and cell phones?

As for getting in an insulting match over BSG - I can understand dissent over politics or religious views but this is a tv show - good grief people have different tastes.

Like many I too loved the original series then I watched a few years ago and it was a bit hokey. It was obvious from the original series what religious denonimation Larson adhered to - but it is not so clear from the remake.

In fact - like Kor and MJ I find the new BSG boring - I certainly don't find a compelling plot; the story isn't about the destruction of mankind - the destruction of mankind if merely a backdrop or afterthought to the pathetic, personal-demon haunted lives of the characters. These people are so miserable that they would be just as miserable on the Love Boat as they are on the last battlestar. Ultimately BSG is soap opera with high class special effects and a couple of high quality actors - I don't watch it for pretty much the same reasons I don't watch ER or other soap type series - I don't like them.

The only tv series that IMO consistently delivers thought provoking, socially relevant plots is Law & Order - I dont' always watch it but I do consider it one of the best shows on tv. But Stargate doesn't need to be the best show on tv in other people's minds - it's not even the "best show on tv" in my mind - it's just my favorite.

Actually, the original script (not the final version but when pen was first set to paper) was done 10 years before the series was produced. This would have been a full 7 years before the original Star Wars.

Actually...Glen Larson said that...and you decided to believe him. I recommend that you adapt a healthy scepticism, especially when it is so ridiculously obvious that Larson pillaged Lucas and then later tried to claim otherwise. Larson even hired John Dykstra (who worked for Lucas) to do the effects work on both Galactica and his later failed show, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. :blink:

The original BSG was not a failed show - it was a popular show - often in the top ten - at least the top twenty. But it was simply too expensive to produce (this was pre CGI and the special effects were prohibitive for a tv series).

Off topic but do you remember the days before PC's and cell phones?

As for getting in an insulting match over BSG - I can understand dissent over politics or religious views but this is a tv show - good grief people have different tastes.

Like many I too loved the original series then I watched a few years ago and it was a bit hokey. It was obvious from the original series what religious denonimation Larson adhered to - but it is not so clear from the remake.

In fact - like Kor and MJ I find the new BSG boring - I certainly don't find a compelling plot; the story isn't about the destruction of mankind - the destruction of mankind if merely a backdrop or afterthought to the pathetic, personal-demon haunted lives of the characters. These people are so miserable that they would be just as miserable on the Love Boat as they are on the last battlestar. Ultimately BSG is soap opera with high class special effects and a couple of high quality actors - I don't watch it for pretty much the same reasons I don't watch ER or other soap type series - I don't like them.

The only tv series that IMO consistently delivers thought provoking, socially relevant plots is Law & Order - I dont' always watch it but I do consider it one of the best shows on tv. But Stargate doesn't need to be the best show on tv in other people's minds - it's not even the "best show on tv" in my mind - it's just my favorite.

Why do I bother?

1. Galactica was cancelled after its first season...therefore it failed. End of debate on that point, thank you.

2. Taste only matters insofar as it is informed. Who would grant any credence to a person who said Beethoven sucked or that Hamlet is boring? Such opinions show a basic lack within the person to be able to see quality even when it is placed right there in front of them. If people talking in actual conversations isn't as interesting as plastic models being blown up...then I can only conclude that what we have here is a deep rooted cultural deficit.

3. Law and Order strikes me as little more then another version of every other cop show that's ever been done with slicker production values. Adam 12...Dragnet...Police Woman...Cagney and Lacey...Hill Street Blues...Law and Order...CSI....etc etc. Networks favor police procedurals because they are cheap to produce, they pretty much write themselves and therefore require an absolute minimum of innovation or imagination.

4. If by "soap opera" you mean character driven then so be it. I hope you don't think Great Expectations is a soap opera. By your criterion it would have to be...I can only imagine what you'd do to a truly great work like The Illiad or Moby Dick. :blink:

Edited by Validus

Actually, the original script (not the final version but when pen was first set to paper) was done 10 years before the series was produced. This would have been a full 7 years before the original Star Wars.
That's what I recall as well, although for me it originates from the short-lived Sci Fi Channel's Sciography (only aired two episodes, aside from BSG: Quantum Leap).

Here's an article I stumbled upon however:

BattlestarGalactica.com: The shadows lengthen

When Battlestar Galactica was launched, Larson was the subject of many interviews. Over and over he told the same story of BG's origins. His original idea, he said, was for a series called Adam's Ark. Adam's Ark, Larson said, was "sort of about the origins of mankind in the universe, taking some of the Biblical stories and moving them off into space as if by the time we get to Earth they're really not about things that happened here but things that might have happened somewhere else in space." Note this carefully: "by the time we get to Earth." Larson told this story over and over, how he had approached the networks with this idea and been rejected.

That doesn't surprise me. This was, remember, the 70's. That was when books like Chariots of the Gods were actually taken seriously (along with "Big Foot" who even made an appearance in The Six Million Dollar Man). :blink:

The whole "mankind from space" premise might have worked in a time when evolution wasn't a well-known fact, now it just smacks of bad writing. I would be so pissed if the new BSG ended with the Galactica actually finding the Earth. Remember Galactica 1980??? :yawn: <_<

Edited by Validus

The whole "mankind from space" premise might have worked in a time when evolution wasn't a well-known fact, now it just smacks of bad writing. I would be so pissed if the new BSG ended with the Galactica actually finding the Earth. Remember Galactica 1980??? <_< :blink:

Again I must disagree. True we know more about evolution today than the 1970s but the general concept was better accepted back then. Besides, the viewing audience understands that this is a fictional work so even if one believes in Creationism or Intelligent Design it doesn't mean it is heresy to watch the show.

Galactica 1980 failed because the concept itself was thrown together at the last minute. They tried to apply the same basic formula as the original series to 1980 and it didn't work out. I think the new BSG will eventually find Earth but it will be better orchestrated and will probably mark the *approach* of the end of the series. (What I think will happen is that the legend of Earth will turn out to be a prophecy rather than an historical event and that the rag-tag fleet themselves will be the 13th tribe.)

What I think will happen is that the legend of Earth will turn out to be a prophecy rather than an historical event and that the rag-tag fleet themselves will be the 13th tribe.

That's an interesting concept!

Anyone still keeping up? Last episode was good, but not quite what I expected...

What I think will happen is that the legend of Earth will turn out to be a prophecy rather than an historical event and that the rag-tag fleet themselves will be the 13th tribe.

That's an interesting concept!

Anyone still keeping up? Last episode was good, but not quite what I expected...

I just want them to hurry up and start Baltar's trial. Of course they are probably saving it for an end-of-season cliffhanger.

I keep thinking that Baltar's trial has certain parallels with the recent trial of Saddam Hussein. True, Baltar isn't the same as Saddam but still...there will be controversy about how Baltar's trial is conducted both within the show and with the fans-

-it should be interesting. I was also facinated recently by the revelations regarding Kara's (Starbuck's) relationship with her mother and how that shaped her character. I can relate- my mother treated me pretty badly too.

That's why I'm so enamored of this series. Real life is like Candid Camera.....when you least expect it, etc. etc. etc. ^_~

The essential, overall plot keeps unfolding.....and we, like the gods, have eyes to see. At the same time, the subplots that are singularly explored and seem to be a diversion will become the big bang in the BSG universe.

Kind of like those neighbors of yours across the street, that when interviewed can honestly say "He was such a nice, quiet man. We had no idea what was going on behind those closed doors."

In real life, everyone's microcosm is a mirror of the macrocosm. The fact that this show explores the interconnection between all of us 'starstuff' deems it a deliberate descendant of Straczynski's legendary Babylon 5.

I'm disappointed that they killed off Starbuck. :P

Other than that, I love the show and never miss it.

I knew that I had TiVO for a reason. :)

They killed off Starbuck?!! Now I know this show sucks!

This Starbuck is (or rather WAS) a hot babe!

I watched both shows, the original and re-tooled versions, and I like the latest incarnation better.

Eddie Olmos is outstanding as Admiral Adama.

Lets be honest, if she was really dead, then that was a lame death. She'll be back in season 4 in some fashion.

She had her hand on the ejector lever. I think that heavy raider was real and it picked her up.

Lets be honest, if she was really dead, then that was a lame death. She'll be back in season 4 in some fashion.

She had her hand on the ejector lever. I think that heavy raider was real and it picked her up.

She'll be back.

As a Cylon! :P

I'm disappointed that they killed off Starbuck. :mad1:

I've requested the broken spoiler tags be addressed but in the meantime, could we at least give warning when spoilers are pending please...

She'll be back.

As a Cylon! :mad1:

No, I'm sure she'll be something new. But I could be wrong all togther.

I'm disappointed that they killed off Starbuck. :mad1:

I've requested the broken spoiler tags be addressed but in the meantime, could we at least give warning when spoilers are pending please...

My apologies.

I don't think that Starbuck is really dead...if she was then her death would have been utterly dumb. I'm currently more interested in the fate of Balter and Lee defending him in the trial. If they execute Baltar, I'm wondering if it'll get botched like when they hung Saddam. Lee's relationship with his Father and his wife is now in the can- perhaps for good...and the cylons are still closing in inch-by-inch. :dude:

Some of you will be shocked to hear this given my prior comments on this series. I usually watch ECW wrestling on Tuesday nights on Sci-Fi. For the past several weeks they have been showing BG right after it. I've watched the last 4 episodes and I must admit, they didn't suck that bad. I STILL like the original series better but I'm going to try to keep watching and see if it holds my interest.

Some of you will be shocked to hear this given my prior comments on this series. I usually watch ECW wrestling on Tuesday nights on Sci-Fi. For the past several weeks they have been showing BG right after it. I've watched the last 4 episodes and I must admit, they didn't suck that bad. I STILL like the original series better but I'm going to try to keep watching and see if it holds my interest.

I too, watched the Original BSG. And I liked it (at the time), but this one really captivates me. Keep watching and see if it doesn't win you over too.

Don't miss tonight...the Season 3 Finale!!!!

Will Baltar be executed?

Will Lee ever rebuild his relationship with his near facist Father?

Is Starbuck dead or alive?

-Hmmm...

My TiVo's all set up to record it. It will be on too late for me to watch it.

I've got to be up at 3:30am.;(