Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Shatner Happy About Idea Of Matt Damon As Kirk

William Shatner is happy with the idea of Matt Damon playing the new young Captain Kirk in J.J. Abrams' upcoming Star Trek film. "I think its great. The tragedy is that when somebody else is playing you younger, you're really old." he told USA Today

Its a great idea. Damon certainly has the look. I'm glad that Shatner is very gracious about it.

Does anyone really expect Matt Damon to go the Ben Affleck route and agree to do science fiction? Bourne was one thing ... Star Trek is something else.

I don't think he'll do it.

Shatner Refutes Damon Casting Rumor

The recent rumors suggesting that Matt Damon is to play a young James T. Kirk may be true, but sources close to William Shatner say that this is news to him. Shatner, the man responsible for the iconic character, has yet to speak to the producers of the announced "Star Trek XI," nor has his opinion been solicited as to who should play the young future captain of the Enterprise.

To recap: Since the announcement of "Star Trek XI" back in April of this year, rumors have been flying, most of which have been refuted. The original story in Variety suggested that the movie would be a sort of prequel to the Original Series, with Kirk, Spock and others in their Starfleet Academy days. This idea was quickly shot down by producer and long-time Star Trek fan J.J. Abrams. And now, according to Shatner, he has yet to be contacted about the possible choices of actor to play his younger screen character or even give his blessing to the project.

One thing we do know about "Star Trek XI" is that no major details — movie title, stars, setting, release date — have been confirmed. And, until you read it here, please treat it as a rumor!

StarTrek.com