Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Would You Like it?

New CGI  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Like It If They Remade The Ships In CGI?

• Yes
    • No
    • other

What would you think if they released TOS on DVD with the updated look of the Enterprise?

I personally wouldn't mind it, in fact, I think it would make me want to get it! The story and music are the same, even the ship is the same, it's just better looking and up to today's standards. I would like the idea, it makes it as modern as the other series. They've done this already on episodes like "In a Mirror Darkly"

I wouldn't mind it at all. In fact, I think they should redo every episode of TOS using modern day F/X like they did with the first Trek movie. Now THAT.....I would buy!... :biggrin:

Would be amazing if they were to use CGI on all the Star Ships.

DS9 eps ("Trials And Tribbleations"-(Enterprise-"In a Mirror Darkly I-II") for examples

:P :) :) :biggrin:

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

I would have liked it a lot better if they had done all this updating prior to selling me the three season package on DVD last Christmas.

Now, I guess I will have to buy the updated version.

How much more money are they going to wring out of me, I wonder?

Would be amazing if they were to use CGI on all the Star Ships.

DS9 eps ("Trials And Tribbleations"-(Enterprise-"In a Mirror Darkly I-II") for examples

Would greatly enhance TOS while still keeping the original stories intact great being up to today's standards

:P :P B) B)

CGI blows. Keep the ships as they are.
Yeah, it looks more fake to me than before.. Quite frankly, the original models and planets seem more realistic to me (although I remember the Orion ship from "Journey to Babel" was just a spinning light..).

I thought the scenes with the original Defiant in "In a Mirror Darkly" was pretty cool, although the Star Trek Enhanced stuff looks sub-par.

If they use the very best technology available and it really looks realistic, then yes. Star Trek the original series is a show from the 1960's and the F/X of that time were not of today's standards. Frankly for me, I never watched Star Trek just for the way it looks (although the look was always intesting, especially on DS9) , but for the stories, with the consistent positive vision of the future and the whole science fiction world of infinite possibilities, new races, new cultures, etc. A really great "look" isn't enough for me. There has to be the substance of the story with interesting characters interacting in an interesting futuristic setting.

Edited by trekz

I'm indifferent. I love TOS. It can't be made beter or worse to me for what it was to me during the pre-teen/early teen years of my life, the role models it gave me, and the hopeful future.

If they did it so it looked more like the movie ships than sure. If they try to keep the ships looking the way they did in the 1960s just with sharper details then forget it.

:lol: :flex:

I loved how they updated the ships on G4 Trek 2.o

TOS era is really the only one that needs that, the TNG era and beyond look fine IMO

My point is it has to at least look realistic. Those old-style TOS ships didn't look realistic, especially by today's standards - and we would be watching the enhanced episodes today, not 30 years ago, so the ship designs would have to look realistic by today's standards - so there isn't any point to enhancing the episodes unless you enhance the ships themselves.

If you added things like windows to the saucer section, for example, that would be an improvement. NX-01 had them and 1701-A had them so why not 1701?

As to my preference for new / fake things, it depends on what context you are thinking of.

I'm not a fan of CGI so I voted No. However if they can make the effects look better then by all means but most fans especially TOS fans especially may not care either way.

Well, since this has already been done, I suppose that the questions should now be: Now that you have seen the remastered TOS, what do you think of it?

Definatly not with TOS I like how it looks aged and like models it makes me appreciate it more knowing how little a budget they had back then.

Other...

If they can make them look vastly superior yes.

If not leave them as is.

Further, I would mind seeing them shot again with models. Much as they did in the DS9 Tribble episode.

Now, that would be great.

Edited by DaboGirl

After seeing several Remastered episodes, I think they could've done a better job, made it more consistent with the rest of the Trek universe. Like having the stars streak by at warp. And, if I recall, they kept the fade-away version of the cloaking device, instead of having it shimmer as it fades. I also think they could've updated some of the consoles and displays. Not the ones that are crew stations, but, for example, those banks of flashing lights to either side of the main viewer, or the occasional section of corridor wall. And that big circular thing between the Helm and Conn stations.

I have both Season 1 & 2 of the remastered episodes. Overall, I really like it. Some of the episodes have a lot of stuff added in and some have hardly any. Usually the episodes that take place in space benefit the most from the remastering.

I didn't, and I don't, like the TOS ships in CGI.

Don't get me wrong, they are doing a decent job given what they have to work with while not changing the dimensions and attributes of the ships themselves, but the NCC-1701 form just doesn't lend itself to that format.

I voted other. I like the new look, but once I am into the show I probably will not notice that much.

Depending on how many times you've seen the episodes you may not notice. If I hadn't seen them all so many times I don't believe I'd notice, but having seen them all so very many times over the past 35 years I can pretty much spot any little difference. That said, the differences are subtle and done in the 'style' of the effects from the 60's. Just enhanced.

As stated elsewhere, I like the fx. I don't at all see them as 'messing up' what was done....Gene would have loved to have had this level of technology at his fingertips in the sixties-and certainly Jim Rugg, and his people. And the added shots are icing on the cake. Like VGB, I have seen the TOS eps countless times as they've come my way in syndication 'bursts' over the years,but this change is not a problem for me...especially when you compare what was done...not that Matt's Enterprise wouldn't have remained a classic design, even if none of this had been taken on.