Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Evans

Thinking about terrorism

Recently I have been thinking a lot about the 'War on terror' and its future and its impact on human society. Terrorism has existed for hundreds of years, not just since the wars in the Middle-East put dating back to Irish terrorism again England or Guy Fawkes attempt to blow up the houses of parliament. Terrorism affects millions of people every year not only in America but in Europe, Russia, Asia and the Middle East. The war on terror is founded on a belief that terrorism is inherently wrong.

I remember when my friend Dan Douglas told me that he thought that terrorism had its reasons. If you negotiate with someone and the negotiations get both of you nowhere because you won't back down, if that person takes something from you and won't let you have it back until you give them what you want is attacking them the best resolution?

I couldn't help but think of Major Kira in DS9. She whole-heartedly supported the use of terrorism against the Cardassians because they occupied her planet and persecuted her people. As a result she is forced to confront the 'rights and wrongs' of terrorism across a broad spectrum of examples. Is murder right? I believe that Kira would say so and if she likened her experiences to any event in human history she would compare it to the Jewish revolts in Poland against the Nazis, but perhaps not the attacks against New York and Washington by Al-Qaeda.

Then again maybe she would sympathise with Arabic culture, while not as affected as the Jews were by the Nazis, the Americans are guilty of crimes themselves. The genocide of Native Americans, the enslavement of Tribal Africans, the mistreatment of Vietnamese because of American foreign policy during the era of 'The Domino Theory' and then Modern Day wars over oil from 1990 to 2006.

Maybe I'm getting a little to wrapped up in this but I think its a shame that Kira and Sisko never discussed modern day events after they had passed. Also my comments do ignore the fact that Star Trek history is different to our history, after all I read somewhere Colin Powell was supposed to be President in the Star Trek universe on the date that George Bush got into power.

I dunno, just some things to think and talk about... and here's the quote that started this train of thought:-

Terrorism has once again shown it is prepared deliberately to stop at nothing in creating human victims. An end must be put to this. As never before, it is vital to unite forces of the entire world community against terror. - Vladimir Putin

Those are interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing them. I will give this some further thought myself! :welcome:

As a history major who adores her field of study, I can honestly say that this intrigues me.

Those are interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing them. I will give this some further thought myself! :laugh:

As a history major who adores her field of study, I can honestly say that this intrigues me.

Sounds very Vulcanish to me.