Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Abrams Slams Star Trek Rumours

From the imdb:

Mission: Impossible III director J.J. Abrams is hitting back at unauthorized reports he is directing the next Star Trek movie. The Alias creator is furious the news was released prematurely and is also upset that key details regarding the storyline were incorrectly reported. He explains to Empire online, "The whole thing was reported entirely without our cooperation. People learned that I was producing a Star Trek film, that I had an option to direct it, they hear rumors of what the thing was going to be and ran with a story that is not entirely accurate." Last week, Hollywood trade paper Variety, reported Abrams was on board and that the film would center on the early days of Captain James T. Kirk and Spock and that Philip Seymour Hoffman was in talks to play the ship's doctor. Abrams won't reveal the true storyline, but hints that it won't feature characters Captain James T. Kirk or Mr. Spock at all, but doesn't rule out bringing some of the original characters back for the new film, adding, "Those characters are so spectacular. I just think that..you know, they could live again."

I'm sure Vic will report this soon but I thought I'd get a jump on it.

So, Abrams is involved but is not necessarily the director and the young Kirk and Spock thing isn't the storyline.

Overall, good news, frankly I don't care if Abrams directs or not, but the Kirk/Spock academy thing was something I could live with, not that I necessarily wanted. So as long as he adheres to Star Trek canon, which if he's doing a new story won't be too big of a deal, I'm happy. No reboots!

And the fact that he says 'our permission' suggests that the other people (Lindelof, Burk, Orci and Kurtzman) who were mentioned are still involved which is good.

The Hoffman thing seems to be just a rumour but it would be pretty cool if it did occur.

Oh, and Startrek.com is confirming this story, except for the Hoffman thing.

Let's not judge or jump to conclusions again about Star Trek XI until it is actually written..I for one will not offer an opinion about it until I actually see the movie.. :elephant:

Well, if this is true - I'm glad - I didn't care for Kirk Spock academy days either - not that they were at the academy together anyway.

Actually, they probably were, but they wouldn't be in the same year as Spock is only three years older than Kirk.

But I agree with ST, too early to rush to any conclusions, good or bad.

Let's not judge or jump to conclusions again about Star Trek XI until it is actually written..I for one will not offer an opinion about it until I actually see the movie.. :biggrin:

Yes, but if we don't voice our concerns about what they do with the next movie and the movie is a flop because of it, they will have spent whatever credibility they have remaining on something less than good and we'll never see any new Trek again.

I hope they take a good long time developing this and that they involve quality folks who really care about the series and are actually FANS of the franchise. All of it, not just TNG, not just TOS.

Let's not judge or jump to conclusions again about Star Trek XI until it is actually written..I for one will not offer an opinion about it until I actually see the movie.. :superhappy:

Yes, but if we don't voice our concerns about what they do with the next movie and the movie is a flop because of it, they will have spent whatever credibility they have remaining on something less than good and we'll never see any new Trek again.

I hope they take a good long time developing this and that they involve quality folks who really care about the series and are actually FANS of the franchise. All of it, not just TNG, not just TOS.

Working on Star Trek XI was a big responsibility. "The fact that somehow we've inherited that mantle is insane," said Kurtzman. "It's such a responsibility. We take it so seriously and between all of us, Bob and me and Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk and J.J. [Abrams], there are different degrees of fandom and different degrees of knowledge and different perspectives on what Trek is. It's a really good mix of people because I think it will ultimately allow us to stay very true to canon and also bring something new."

http://www.trektoday.com/news/200908_03.shtml