Sign in to follow this  
Vic

Star Trek XI News and Gossip Begins

Berman will not be involved; Shatner, Nimoy have not yet been asked; Takei is excited about reported prequel film.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/240406_01.shtml

By Michelle

April 24, 2006 - 8:31 PM

As fans reacted with optimism to the announcement of an eleventh Star Trek feature film to be helmed by J.J. Abrams (story), some facts about the movie have become clearer.

StarTrek.com has confirmed that longtime Star Trek executive producer Rick Berman, who was personally brought into the franchise by creator Gene Roddenberry and worked on all of the second-generation shows and movies, is not involved. "This project is separate from the previously rumored script developed by Eric Jendresen and overseen by Rick Berman," stated the official site. "The former Star Trek producer is not involved in this project."

An Associated Press article on Abrams, who will co-write the Star Trek XI script with his Mission Impossible III collaborators Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, quoted Paramount spokeswoman Nancy Kirkpatrick as saying that original series stars William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy have not yet been approached about appearing in the prequel film, which will reportedly focus on Kirk and Spock's first meeting and their first adventures together.

George Takei, who played Sulu in the original series, six films and on Star Trek: Voyager, noted on his web site that he was "very excited" about the news. "I wonder what Sulu would have been up to in those early days at Starfleet Academy?" he said. "We've lived much longer than we ever thought, and will continue to prosper in so many unimagined ways in the future."

Some people, however, refused to take the news seriously. Dateline Hollywood published a satirical article claiming that Abrams had taken out a restraining order against Shatner and that Star Trek actors from Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) to Wil Wheaton (Wesley Crusher) had been spotted stalking Abrams, the only exception being Patrick Stewart, who has recently declared his frustration at being so closely associated with Captain Picard.

I can't see how any of those people could possibly be in it unless its a cameo playing another character.

I can't see how any of those people could possibly be in it unless its a cameo playing another character.

I can see the surviving members of the original cast being involved if they frame the whole thing in sort of a flashback. I've been thinking that if they focus on a memorial service after Kirk was lost on the maiden voyage of the Enterprise-B, they could work in Nimoy, Takei, Nichols, and Koenig. Then have Spock remember when he first met Kirk at the academy. Corny but I think it could work out nicely, I can already see a very cool ending:

Have Spock be the last one to leave the service. He places his hand on the casket (standing in for Kirk's body) and he says: "You have been, and always will be, my friend". It's been used before but it brings in a nice symmetry.

I think the concept behind this film is workable (especially with such a talented production and writing staff)but they need to stick to established canon and I think these guys are smart enough to do that (as they do come across as Star Trek fans).

There was a great book about Kirk's father who had contact with a Romulan. It was also about NCC1701's maiden voyage.