Sign in to follow this  
Odie

BUFFALO SABRES ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS

With Carolina's victory earlier tonight it looks as though one of use will definitely be right as far as the number of games this series goes as you predicted either 5 or 6 and I predicted 7.

I cannot wait for game 3 tomorrow night between the Ducks and Oilers. It is a must win from Anaheim's point of view as if they don't they are in big trouble to say the least.

On another note, the S in my username stands for Scott which is in fact my name. Just thought I would clear the air with that once and for all.

I love your response to my last question Odie. Such a diplomatic answer. Of course, what else would I expect from you? I like it, its cute! :tribble:

Edited by Sman

Wow, what a game! The Oilers almost blew a 4-0 lead with half a period to go only to hang on and win 5-4. The one thing I will say is that if they play like that against either Carolina or Buffalo they will not last very long. I am referring to the way Edmonton played the last 10 or so minutes. It should have NEVER been that close.

I originally based my pick of Oilers in 7 on the way Anaheim played against Colorado and the way Edmonton played against San Jose, who was to know the Oilers would be one win away from a sweep?

Jack Bauer and/or Odie, do you follow Junior Hockey at all and the Memorial Cup tournament?

Following hockey here in San Diego is hard enough with the major league. Following the Junior Hockey it is difficult without the internet. :tribble: Mostly I try to keep up with the Sabres and that is a lot of work along with all the teams in Buffalo.

I would love to see any other team that is not from the south to win the cup. They do not understand the importance of Lord Stanley's Cup.

It also depends on health the team can be during the finials. Even the players from Buffalo starting to slow some wear and tear when it comes to injury. But right now, two teams have to come out of the conference finials before any real talk about the finals.

Edited by Odie

Jack Bauer and/or Odie, do you follow Junior Hockey at all and the Memorial Cup tournament?

I follow Junior Hockey (mostly OHL, don't know the WHL and QMJHL as well) casually, not as much as I used to. I used to go to quite a few Kitchener Ranger games (but I dislike the Rangers, so I always cheered against them).

Cool, the only reason I was asking is I have been following this year's Memorial Cup more closely than usual because the Vancouver Giants are in it and because I know junior hockey is also quite big in Eastern Canada. I have always followed the Memorial Cup but I only really got into following the regular season during the NHL strike last year. It is good stuff.

As for the comment you made Odie, I could not agree more that NHL teams from the south do not understand the importance of the Stanley Cup. As for the junior hockey, I am not totally surprised that you do not follow it as much but just thought I would ask anyway.

Being in San Diego, CA it is hard to follow Buffalo teams, epically hockey. San Diego is baseball town. When they deal with hockey its small concern in the sports paper. It almost feels like hockey playoffs are unimportant compared to other sports. I do follow junior hockey, but I really do not look at the teams, but what direction players are going, and where hockey strengths and weakness of the youths.

Looks like the Carolina vs. Buffalo series is going to turn into a great series after Carolina convincingly beat Buffalo 4-0 earlier this evening. My prediction of Carolina in 7 still looks very possible.

On another note, Edmonton had better wrap up their series with Anaheim tomorrow or that could also turn into an interesting series. Of all the series played recently this is another one that I would not be surprised to see go 7 games. This series could easily be 2-2 at the moment. Maybe even 3-1 Anaheim but it is still 3-1 Edmonton with a chance to go to the Stanley Cup Finals tomorrow.

I misunderstood what you were saying about Junior Hockey as it sounded to me like you did not follow it but glad you do follow it Odie.

Wow, what a game! The Oilers and going to the Stanley Cup finals in what is probably one of the most improbable runs in recent history. The Oilers have shown that not only can they win the high scoring games but also the tight 2-1 games as was the case tonight. They are now just 4 wins away from glory. This run is so similar to both Anaheim's run in 2003 and of course Vancouver's run in 1994. In fact it has been even longer since the Oilers were in the Stanley Cup final than it has the Canucks. 16 long years of waiting are finally over for the fans of Edmonton.

Edited by Sman

Even thought I did not get a chance to watch the Buffalo vs. Carolina game tonight, I still heard the result and the Carolina Hurricanes are also now just one win away from the Stanley Cup Finals. I still think the series is going to go seven games as Buffalo will win on Tuesday evening, at home I might add, but Carolina will take the series 4-3 on Thursday.

Odie, are you going to be following the World Cup tournament in two weeks time? or are you not interested in Soccer?

The Carolina Hurricanes have finally finished of the Sabres in 7 games just as I predicted setting the stage for what should be a great series between the Edmonton Oilers and the Carolina Hurricanes

So with my final pick of the year, I am picking the Edmonton Oilers in 6 games over the Carolina Hurricanes although I hope it goes 7 games just for the sake of drama!. Therefore the Edmonton Oilers are your 2006 Stanley Cup Champions!

Like I said Odie, not this year! B)

Edited by Sman

There is always next year. When key players went down for Buffalo it would have taken a lot for team to recover. They have well this season. Better than what other would have thought. Next might be there year or year after that, but I will be hopeful for the Stanley Cup.

Thank you, Sabres

By JESSICA BAGLEY

NeXt Correspondent

6/7/2006

What words come to mind when you hear the Buffalo Sabres mentioned? For me, it's words like magic, belief, tenacity and determination. Even before the playoffs began, this year was one I knew I would never forget. That's why one morning, while arguing about who would be going to what home games in the Carolina series, my family decided that we would take a road trip to Carolina to see the Sabres battle it out in Game Five.

We departed on the Saturday morning of Memorial Day weekend, our van decorated with "Let's Go, Buffalo," "Welcome to Pominville," and Jeanneret quotes such as "These guys are good - scary good!"

After about an 11-hour drive, we arrived in Raleigh, N.C. The next morning, my family and I were eating breakfast in the hotel lobby, eagerly looking forward to that evening, when we would cheer for our team in the Hurricanes' arena. As I looked up through the levels of the hotel, I spotted three men who looked strangely familiar. I quickly turned to look back at them and recognized J.P. Dumont by his beard. At that moment, I'm pretty sure my heart stopped. My brother and I were soon giddy with excitement. We were staying in the same hotel as the Sabres. Before we knew it, most of the team was in the lobby, waiting for their bus to take them to the morning skate.

Although I was a little nervous about approaching them, I knew this would probably be my one chance to meet the team and get my Miller jersey autographed without thousands of fans swarming around them. I was pleasantly surprised that all the players really were a nice bunch of guys. All were glad to say hi and give an autograph.

I had been trying to find a way to meet Ryan Miller all year - so I was simply starstruck when the opportunity came to meet almost all the team.

That night, after parking near the RBC Center, my family and I were surprised to be greeted by Sabres fans surrounding the arena. We found an incredible number of Buffalo fans tailgating and cheering whenever a fellow Sabres fan walked by. Once in our seats, it was soon evident that there were more Buffalo than Carolina fans in the 300 section. Throughout the game, "Let's Go Buffalo" chants rivaled the "Let's Go Canes" cheers. As we roamed around between periods, I received more high-fives for being a Sabres fan than I could count. My family and I even saw people we knew from back home. It was hard to believe we were 700 miles from Buffalo, in what was supposed to be the "Caniacs'" building.

Although the game ended in disappointment (the Hurricanes won the game 4-3 to lead the series 3-2), it was a trip that will stay in my memory forever - much like this astonishing 2005-2006 season. Written off at the start of this year as one of the worst teams in the league, the Buffalo Sabres proved themselves to be the best. The team is truly an inspiration to all of us, for the Sabres fought adversity throughout the year as player after player was injured. Their character shone through in each difficulty, and they never gave up - not even in the final seconds of Game Seven. And if my brother and I could come face to face with this astonishing team once again, I'm sure all we could possibly muster is "Thank you."

And hey, Sabres fans - four months, three days and counting.