Sign in to follow this  
Odie

BUFFALO SABRES ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS

BUFFALO SABRES ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!

After 1,808 days since Sabres had seen the puck drop in HSBC Arena for a playoff game! It’s the longest drought for any major-level professional sport team not to make it to the playoffs. It came after losing its star goalie to having a former owner landing in federal prison which lead to the team to declare bankruptcy and subsequent takeover by the National Hockey League. The team has an owner that's from Western New York.

Tonights game everyone going to the game will get white T-shirt from HSBC Bank, and complimentary pompoms from New Era Cap Co. The theme for the game is "White Out"! I want to be back home and watch the game!!!

Its time for Buffalo to get the Stanley Cup!!!

Edited by Odie

Whoo Hooo! Go Sabres!

If you don't watch Meet The Press on Sunday Morning you may have missed this. Tim Russert, the host, appeared at the end of the broadcast with the Stanley Cup and holding a Sabres jersey. He had a message for his Dad that this should be the year. It was unexpected and fun!

I did watch the show. :clap: It wasn't a surprise to me after all Tim Russert is a native Buffalonian like me. During the football season he will give his predictions for any Buffalo Bills game. Of course he will pick Buffalo to win all the games.

I agree with him its time FOR BUFFALO TO WIN STANLEY CUP THIS YEAR!!! :elephant::b-day::clap:

BuffaloSabres1.jpg

Edited by Odie

BUFFALO BEAT PHILADEPHIA BY 8-2!!!

Buffalo needs to win 2 more games to win the series! GO BUFFALO!!!

buffalo_sabres_shoulder_logo.jpg

BUFFALO WINS THE SERIES AGAINST PHILADEPHIA!!!

The next series will be with Ottawa Senators. The puck will drop in Ottawa on Friday. GO BUFFALO!

sabres.jpg

I did not realise you were a hockey fan, Odie!

Anyway, it should be a great secound round of the the playoffs with four interesting series.

New Jersey vs. Carolina pick: Devils in 5

Buffalo vs. Ottawa pick: Sens in 6

San Jose vs. Edmonton pick: Sharks in 5

Anaheim vs. Colorado pick: Avs in 6 (another 'so called' upset for Colorado :laugh: )

I did not realise you were a hockey fan, Odie!

Anyway, it should be a great secound round of the the playoffs with four interesting series.

New Jersey vs. Carolina pick: Devils in 5

Buffalo vs. Ottawa pick: Sens in 6

San Jose vs. Edmonton pick: Sharks in 5

Anaheim vs. Colorado pick: Avs in 6 (another 'so called' upset for Colorado :laugh: )

Even though Buffalo might be an underdog in this series, it is not by much. This one will be exciting, but Sabres are very much focus and not letting win against Philly get to their heads. :borg2:

Right now Buffalo is winning the series by 2-0 against Ottawa. Now the series is in Buffalo.

Looks like my predictions are not going as planned. I have to admit I have a bit of a bad reputation in recent years for getting my predictions totally wrong! However, who could have predicted Anaheim shutting out Colorado for that long. That is something that I would normally expect to find when playing one of EA's NHL versions for the PC but NOT in real life.

I am still sticking to my original prediction of Sens in six because I am very stubborn not to mention foolish and I am also still sticking with New Jersey...in Six :laugh: !. As far as Colorado is concerned, if they do not win tonight I will say the will be swept!

Buffalo has an excelt record during the playoff against the Ottawa. I still remember Buffalo sweeping the series against Ottawa. I am very much looking forward tomorrow's game.

BUFFALO WON THIER THIRD GAME AGAINST OTTAWA!!!

They need one more win to sweep the series!!!

*Sigh* I have to admit it does not look good for Ottawa at this point in time! and Colorado are definitely going to be swept now in all likelihood. I still cannot believe New Jersey is down 3-0 and that they could not hold a lead for 20 seconds in game two!...they deserved to lose since that was the case actually. Patrice Brisbois is a horrible defenceman for Colorado. I have never been a big fan of his as he has always made poor plays like the one he made the other night against Anaheim throughout his career.

I like the topic you started here Odie. It is really awesome!

So far, the series looks better than the Philly game. Ottawa looks good in the stats and they should be leading the series, but a win is a win for Buffalo. Every game in the series Ottawa has out shot Buffalo, and they used power plays better than Sabres. I wonder how would have been for Ottawa if Dominik Hasek was healthy enough to play the series. He might be the goalie in the next game, but I am not holding my beathe on it. It would have been fun to watch him in the net in Buffalo. Oh, the last time Buffalo swept the series against Ottawa was in 1999. Guess who was the goalie for Buffalo during that series in '99? None other than Dominator.

Edited by Odie

Well, there will be not sweep for Buffalo this year. I realise the series is still in Buffalo's favour at 3-1 and only two teams have come back from 3-0 down but the one thing Ottawa has going for them is that 2 of the next 3 games potentially are in Ottawa, and if Ottawa wins Game 5 even though the they would never admit to it publicly one would have to think that a bit of doubt will be creeping into the minds of the Buffalo players. They would have had two chances to close the deal in that case and would still not have got the job done and if there happens to be a game 7...well then the Sabres are done! Guaranteed, as there is no way Ottawa would lose game 7 at home ice in that case.

On another note, I was thinking about the Buffalo Bills teams that went to four straight Super Bowls the other day and I was going through the players on that team and I could not for the life of me remember who the Fullback was for Thurman Thomas, I am totally embarrassed that I cannot remember but would you happen to know his name? I will probably remember when I hear it.

I am impressed by your knowledge. You really know your stuff...one of the few girls (no offense...I mean girls in the same way people say kids) I know of that has any knowledge of sports teams at all not to mention the history of the teams.

BUFFALO WON THEIR SERIES AGAINST OTTAWA!!!!

The series was very good.

For the life of my I can't remember the fullback for Buffalo Bills at that time. Thurman Thomas was the running back.

Growing up in Buffalo its required to know something about sports. Hockey is very big in Buffalo.

Excellent, the Senators are gone. I hate them so much.

Now I can resume cheering against the Sabres. I don't like them much either. I like some of the players on the team and I respect their talent but I don't like the Sabres.

It dates back to the Hasek days (who I hate) and the fact that Leafs have always had a hard time with the Sabres when they play in Buffalo. Even though half the crowd is Leaf fans when the Leafs play there.

BUFFALO WON THEIR SERIES AGAINST OTTAWA!!!!

The series was very good.

For the life of my I can't remember the fullback for Buffalo Bills at that time. Thurman Thomas was the running back.

Growing up in Buffalo its required to know something about sports. Hockey is very big in Buffalo.

Ok, Thank You anyway Odie. I looked it up after I asked that and they had a few but no real 'number one' fullback because of the type of offense they ran in those days. Good Old Jim Kelly etc. :laugh:. As for the Sabres, I cannot believe they won, in general. In my mind the Senators lost the series in Game 1 when they had the lead 4 or 5 times and ended up losing in overtime. That is a lot of luck though for one team to win three overtime games in a row. At least New Jersey are still alive. If they win tomorrow night in Carolina, it will be absolute bedlam for Game 6 in New Jersey. I would not count them out yet especially with Martin Brodeur and Co.

Excellent, the Senators are gone. I hate them so much.

Now I can resume cheering against the Sabres. I don't like them much either. I like some of the players on the team and I respect their talent but I don't like the Sabres.

It dates back to the Hasek days (who I hate) and the fact that Leafs have always had a hard time with the Sabres when they play in Buffalo. Even though half the crowd is Leaf fans when the Leafs play there.

Buffalo and Toronto are only 90 minutes are apart. (I mean that is if you go the speed limit on the QEW. :borg2: ) I have always wonder when the two teams play each other in their own stadium is it away game or just another home game. In each stadium the crowds pulling for each team is about 50-50.

Ok, Thank You anyway Odie. I looked it up after I asked that and they had a few but no real 'number one' fullback because of the type of offense they ran in those days. Good Old Jim Kelly etc. :laugh:. As for the Sabres, I cannot believe they won, in general. In my mind the Senators lost the series in Game 1 when they had the lead 4 or 5 times and ended up losing in overtime. That is a lot of luck though for one team to win three overtime games in a row. At least New Jersey are still alive. If they win tomorrow night in Carolina, it will be absolute bedlam for Game 6 in New Jersey. I would not count them out yet especially with Martin Brodeur and Co.

Really, the series could have gone either way for each team. Senators could have won. Each team played their best. Well, I will exclude Dominik Hasek. If he is not 100%, he will not play. He has done that a lot when he played in Buffalo. Do not get me wrong, this guy is the best goalie of all time, but he is just in it for himself. One of the reasons why he left the Sabres so he has a chance to win the Stanley Cup. If he played this series, I still wonder if he would have made the difference. Even with Hasek not 100% he is a force that is difficult to beat. IMO if I was in the front office for Ottawa I would start looking for a goalie. I can see him retiring very soon.

Lord Stanley Hall?

Off Main Street

Buffalo News

5/13/2006

StanleyHall.jpg

It's pretty clear that the region has a bad case of Stanley Cup fever. How many times in the past three weeks have you thought, "If it's like this now, what's going to happen if the Sabres actually win the thing?"

Local architect Paul L. Battaglia has the answer: We turn City Hall into the world's largest replica of the sports world's most famous trophy.

"The top of this monument matches in profile that of the base of the treasured Cup," Battaglia said. "By wrapping it in cheap wire cloth, like chain-link fence material, and building a lightweight frame of metal straps clad in the same fabric, placed on top by helicopter during a frantic ceremony, we can really show the world how we can celebrate."

Battaglia has been kicking around this idea since the last serious Cup run in 1999. His colleague, Jeffrey A. Coutch, took the idea and with an assist from PhotoShop, created this rendering.

Cup crazy? Nine more wins and we'll see.

If anyone seen Bruce Almighty, which everyone should IMO :borg2: . In the movie Sabres won the Stanley Cup and city went nuts. I know wonder if that was just prediction for the city. :laugh:

Buffalo and Toronto are only 90 minutes are apart. (I mean that is if you go the speed limit on the QEW. :laugh: ) I have always wonder when the two teams play each other in their own stadium is it away game or just another home game. In each stadium the crowds pulling for each team is about 50-50.

Games in Buffalo are always at least 50-50, maybe leaning towards Toronto. However, it doesn't work the other way around. Crowds at the ACC are always predominently Leaf fans. Of course, no matter where the Leafs play there's always a fair contingent of Leaf fans.

Games in Buffalo are always at least 50-50, maybe leaning towards Toronto. However, it doesn't work the other way around. Crowds at the ACC are always predominently Leaf fans. Of course, no matter where the Leafs play there's always a fair contingent of Leaf fans.

True enough, In fact there are not only a large contingency of Leaf fans where ever they play but also a large contingency of Montreal fans as well.

Evey time the Leafs and Canadiens come here to Vancouver there tends to be more than 50% Toronto and Montreal fans at GM Place.

Well, the Carolina Hurricanes are in the Conference Finals. I still cannot believe they beat New Jersey. I just hope we do not end up with a Anaheim vs. Carolina Stanley Cup finals because if that happened the fans would never hear the end of it from Mr. Bettman bragging to everyone about what a great idea of his it was to expand. It makes me sick just thinking about that possibiliy. The worst thing is there may come a day when Nashville and Atlanta play each other in the finals. Now, that would be SICK! I wonder if the people in either of those cities even know they have a hockey team.

I will be back with my picks for the finals in a few days. After the Oilers/Sharks series.

The Conference Finals are set with only four teams remaining and two interesting series.

Western Conference Finals;

Edmonton vs. Anaheim pick: Oilers in 7

Eastern Conference Finals;

Buffalo vs. Carolina pick: 'Canes in 7

That means it will be Edmonton vs. Carolina for the Stanley Cup final! I will admit, the pick I made for the Eastern Conference Final really is a toss-up in reality, but I have to pick somebody and on this occasion I am going with Carolina, sorry Odie not this year! :laugh:.

We will see at end of the series. So far you where off for the last series. I do believe Buffalo will go all the way!

I'm rooting for the Sabres in the playoffs. I do hope it's Buffalo vs Edmonton in the Stanley Cup finals, traditional teams instead of some Mighty Duck kid team...

Wow, after the Oilers win earlier tonight it may not go seven games :tribble: . At least I have probably picked the right team to win one of the series!

Do you think after Buffalo's win in Game 1 that the Sabres are going to sweep, Odie? and if not how many games do you think it will take the Sabres?

I just take one game at a time. For me they have to win today's game. They may win it in game 5 or 6.