Sign in to follow this  
stvoyagerfan

site design help

hey,

as some of you may or may not know i'm in a college class about web design fundamentals. well a project that we have ongoing is a website. what i'm getting at is what do you look for in a site? i'm thinking of including my interest in trek,stargate,sci if in general, convention tips,photos, and a bunch of great links stuff related to trek etc.. what do you guys think? would you check something like this out?any help would be appreciate.

tm

Basically, no-body cares

You need to have a good font and background combination, be able to align borders and frames right

But, the MOST IMPORTANT feature, is to have a domain name, adds, and to have it advertised on ALL of the big search engines, other wise you have to manually advertise it...... And that suck!

I am delighted to offer help. I create websites at college myself and I often help with development of freelance websites. One tip my website design lecturer says on his website:

" If users suffer, the design has failed. "

Here's some good tips:

Design Tips

Design Tips

I think it would be very good to include Science Fiction on your website, but don't go too far into it. Science Fiction backgrounds can get too busy and the content, I find, gets lost. Unless you do what VaBeachGuy has done here and use black behind the text.

I would definately go for it. I'm not really sure what to say but if you ever need help I'm pleased to be of assistance.

My website's offline, my web hoster has gone bankrupt :dude: .

thanks trekkiecara. i'm thinking of going with a page on some basic sci fi stuff, a page on convention stuff like the tips i wrote the what to do and what not. i had so many ideas it's hard to narrow it down. it's great to get help from a fellow web design student.

i don't need to worry about a server right now it's going to be hosted on the college server at this point. if all goes well it will expand into the "big leagues"

:dude: I'm excited to see your ideas. I could help you narrow it down if you like, if you have any sketches

Here are my suggestions:

For actual content:

Sci-fi sounds good, but you should have something tying it together. Is it going to be humor? Is it going to be your convention photos and personal experiences? Is it going to be blog-like? Is it going to be a referance, if so is it aimed at hard-core fans or newbie? I like a web site to be well pulled together in terms of what it's aiming for.

For coding:

Don't do frames. Use HTML (preferably XHTML. HTML and XHTML are almost identical, XHTML is just stricter and thus tends to be cleaner and easier to use and is more likely to work properly.) and CSS. When using CSS define everything in different div's, this allows you to layer them and position them so that the page works on ALL browsers without major complications. Here's some great references:

XHTML tutorial (basic, but good)

Blue Robot (has a great layout resevoir for basic CSS set-ups, I STRONGLY recommend this one)

CSS Zen Garden (This stuff is much more advanced, but it really shows the potential of CSS)

w3schools.com (Lots of tutorials, these people put together the web standards, kind of the ultimate resource for the internet

If you want more I can give them to you :dude:

Edited by TrekkieMage

Decide on the target audience and the content before you even start to think of the layouts or HTML

Decide on the target audience and the content before you even start to think of the layouts or HTML

That's so very true. That is by far the best place to begin.

that was part of the project deciding on the audience. my teacher was impressed with my site. the topic i choose was how to prepare for a sci fi convention. i've got my what to do tips, and what not to do tips, i'm going to have a section on my personal experiences, and resources/links. i did a search and didn't find much on the topic. so i thought it was a good idea. it's pretty basic right now because we havent' learned a ton of stuff yet. but i'm pretty happy so far. right now it's linked through a site we work on in class. we also had to include our proposal.

tm

hey no stealing my ideas. especially my tips that are posted elsewhere here. i spent many hours thinking of it. :borg2: at least i could say mine was the first that i know of.

tm B)

I wont steal your ideas! Promise! I was thinking in terms of the layout. Using CSS it would be really neat to have a background kind of like This, this, this, or this, except with Trek stuff and the kinds of things one might need or see at a convention (id/makeup/merchendise/ect)

:borg2: