Sign in to follow this  
Dana Scully

Star Trek Nemesis

The One Problem I Do Have With Data's Death Is Data's Files Being Uploaded Into B4.

Now We Have A Character With Data's Files Played By The Same Actor As The Now Destroyed Data :assimilated:

Since childhood, I have really really really wanted a movie that featured the Romulans (I am so NOT a Klingon person). I hate the Picard-Data centric flavor the TNG movies take, hate the lack of character moments, and without the fun of seeing things from Shinzon's perspective, it would have been a total disappointment. Seeing him and the Romulans made it a fun movie. But even the first time I saw it I knew it wouldn't do well B) . It just didn't have the sense of fun you got from, say ST4.

And I hated that stupid dune buggy scene. Thank god for the DVD so I can just skip to the arrival on Romulus. Worf's presence is the only good thing about the dune buggy scene. B)

And I hated that stupid dune buggy scene.  Thank god for the DVD so I can just skip to the arrival on Romulus.  Worf's presence is the only good thing about the dune buggy scene. :)

: Yeah, I thought it was all a little 'off'. Worf was great in that scene :) "Very Estute!"

It was interesting how they essentially say 'Oh hell with prime directive. We'll just blow the crap out of those jeeps with a partical weapon."

Another thing about that scene was the digital grading for the scene. It looked like a bad Clint Eastwood movie.

I actually loved the Dune Buggie scene. First time we got to see a car-like vehicle in Trek besides Earth history. As for the lighting, I loved it! It made the world feel "alien". The prime directive, as I recall, Geordi said their were "pockets" of civilization in an industrial perriod of development. Maybe Picard and team thought they wouldn't run into the aliens?

Bonjour ma petite croutons. How are we all these days! Nemesis was ok, I felt. The dune buggy was grand but unbelievable tat the baddies had them too. Given them a shuttle and Picard would have been screwed! There just wasnt enough 'plot' for me. Nothing overly shocking. Bit trite. But overall ok.

I know Nemesis got alot of bad press but i liked it. I saw it at the cinema the action scenes were cool. I went out and got the DVD as soon as it came out but i still haven't watched it 3 months later because i can't stand to watch Data die again :blink:

well he didn't deserve to die....

but here's a good hint, in the wedding scene next to Dr. Crusher, Wes is back but is not played by Wil Weaton. Wes had a very small part in Nemises.

well he didn't deserve to die....

but here's a good hint, in the wedding scene next to Dr. Crusher, Wes is back but is not played by Wil Weaton. Wes had a very small part in Nemises.

Actually, it is Wesley Crusher played by Will Wheaton. Everyone wonders why he returned to Starfleet.

2370 - Final season of TNG, including "Journey's End" where Wesley leaves Starfleet to join the Traveler.

2379 - NEMESIS takes place, Wesley is back in Starfleet. I see three possinilities. 1. Wesley learned what he needed from the Traveler and then rejoined Starfleer. 2. Wesley decided he wanted to use what he learned from the Traveler and return to Starfleet to apply his new found knowledge. 3. Use your imagination. :grin:

I reeeaally liked Nemesis even though I am a Data fan.The story is awsome and so was every thing else.I have to admit I did want to cry at the end,especialy when they all made the toast to ½apsent friends.To family½That really got to me :grin:;) :lol:

I actually loved the Dune Buggie scene.  First time we got to see a car-like vehicle in Trek besides Earth history.  As for the lighting, I loved it!  It made the world feel "alien".

Ditto. I also liked the Romulan thread in the movie. "Nemesis" ranks as one of my fav Trek movies.

:lol:

The only problem I had with Nemesis was that the Romulans didn't seem very...well,ROMULAN!

I wanted mystery and cloak & dagger,I wanted the alliance between them and Picard to be a marriage of convienence,and that as soon as Shinzon was taken care of,the truce would be off and Picard and company would be chased back across the Neutral Zone.

I don't want the Romulans to be the Federation's new allies.The Dominion War is over.The Roms need to go back to being the villains they always were. :huh:

And,just for the record....I like Romulans,waayyy better than Klingons.I wanted to see a movie featuring the Romulans for the longest time.

The only problem I had with Nemesis was that the Romulans didn't seem very...well,ROMULAN!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. When I got my first good look at a Romulan, my first thought was -

What?!? Nosferatu??? Where's the Romulans? :huh:

They just look, (and act) too much like vampires to be Romulan, IMO.

I almost expected them to bite someone on the neck!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. When I got my first good look at a Romulan, my first thought was -

Do you mean the Remans?

Do you mean the Remans?

The Nosferatu Refrence Would Make It Seem So.

But...The Romulans Themselves Did Look Alittle Creepier Than Usual

Do you mean the Remans?

Oops - yeah, I was thinking of Romulans, but visualizing the Remans.

Well, I had a long day at work, and my brain was frazzled!

I'll see what I can do to put this thread back on topic:

I saw Nemesis and absolutely HATED it. Washed up TWOK retread. SuperVillain, SuperWeapon, crew member dies, ship gets the crap beat out of it.

My wife has commented that Trek movies are better when they don't invent a villain specifically for the movie.

Shortly afterwards, I decided to perform a test. I rented ST 5 to see which film was the worst of the two.

After viewing ST 5 again, it actually moved up TWO places on my mental list of best Trek movies. And even though the movie has obvious flaws, much of it works and is true to TOS. I think that if Paramount hadn't halved the budget they gave Shatner to work with and had gone with ILM for the special effects work, ST 5 would have been an absolute hit movie, rather than "one for the diehards" as it seems to be now.

Mofo's List of Trek Movies, in order of preference:

TWOK (It's Khan, 'nuff said)

TUC (A great send-off, plus Kirk vs Kirk is great!)

FC (The absolute best of Next Gen movies)

TVH (Part hokey, rest is great, cheers in the theater when 1701-A was shown)

TSFS ("You said you'd kill me!" "I lied.")

STTMP (Much improved with the director's cut, and the best soundtrack)

TFF (The best pure "Kirk" line of all the films. You should know which one I mean)

Generations (Basic premise just did not work for me, too many plot holes)

Insurrection (Good puns, felt like a drawn out episode, Anij is a hottie)

Nemesis (Made my point above *shudder*)

Comments? Suggestions? Phasers set to "kill" :lol:

TFF (The best pure "Kirk" line of all the films. You should know which one I mean)

Dammit Bones you're a doctor. You know pain and guilt can't be taken away with the wave of a magic wand, they're the things we carry with us, the things which make us who we are. I don't want my pain taken away! I NEEED my pain!

I saw Nemesis and absolutely HATED it.  Washed up TWOK retread.  SuperVillain, SuperWeapon, crew member dies, ship gets the crap beat out of it. 

My wife has commented that Trek movies are better when they don't invent a villain specifically for the movie. 

Shortly afterwards, I decided to perform a test.  I rented ST 5 to see which film was the worst of the two.

After viewing ST 5 again, it actually moved up TWO places on my mental list of best Trek movies. And even though the movie has obvious flaws, much of it works and is true to TOS.  I think that if Paramount hadn't halved the budget they gave Shatner to work with and had gone with ILM for the special effects work, ST 5 would have been an absolute hit movie, rather than "one for the diehards" as it seems to be now.

Supervillian, superweaon, crew member dies, ship gets the crap beat out of it.

Star Trek II - Kahn, Genesis Torpedoe, Spock dies, Enterprise heavilly damaged

Star Trek III - Kruge, Genesis Planet, David dies, Enterprise destroyed

Star Trek VI - General Chang, Cloakable Klingon BOP, Enterprise heavilly damaged

Star Trek VII - Soran, Trilithium Weapon, Kirk dies, Enterprise destroyed

Star Trek VIII - Borg Queen, Time Travel to the past, Hawk dies, Enterprise assimilated

Star Trek IX - Ru'afo, Injector Collector, (no one dies this time), Enteprrise heavilly damaged

Star Trek X - Shinzon, Schimitar & Thaelaron Weapon, Data dies, Enterprise nearly destroyed.

Galaxy Quest - General Sarris, General Sarris's ship, Thermian Crewman dies, Galaxy Quest heavilly damaged

Lost in Space - Spider-Smith, Future-Will's time machine (rips planets apart and stuff), Jupiter 2 heavilly damagted

As you can see, these "4 movie elements" aren't a rip off of ST-2, but rather common in lots of sci-fi movies.

What's wrong with having some movies pick up a story from the series while other movies feature original plots?

Personally, I think "worst and best" is a matter of opinion. Some people will like it, some won't.

Personally, I have enjoyed all 10 movies greatly, as each has a unique story to offer. I just don't see why fans feel the need to "rank the movies". Either its good or it isn't. :lol: ST-5 had it's budget halved? I didn't notice. They didn't use ILM for special effects? The effects looked fine to me. Personally, I think ST-5 was the closest to TOS in terms of the characters. I don't think this movie was "one for the fans", as it felt like it was done for the general audience.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Dammit Bones you're a doctor. You know pain and guilt can't be taken away with the wave of a magic wand, they're the things we carry with us, the things which make us who we are. I don't want my pain taken away! I NEEED my pain!

Actually I was referring to "What does God need with a starship?" but your quote may be more correct.

Mofo Jones, What does God need with a starship is a good one too. Another one is So you Klingon bastards, it's me you want! What are you waiting for?!

Star Trek 5 is much better than everybody seems to think. It certainly is better than Nemesis in my opinion...But I rate a lot of the Trek movies ahead of Nemesis. Should I list my order?..

Sure..Why not? :lol:

Star Trek 2 (Khan)

Star Trek 6 (Great TOS sendoff)

Star Trek 4 (Wonderful Light hearted TOS Movie)

Star Trek FC (The best TNG Movie)

Star Trek 1 ( Great movie IMO, Fantastic Soundtrack)

Star Trek 5 (Better than most fans think)

Star Trek 3 (Good movie to bring Spock back)

Star Trek Insurrection (Could have been better)

Star Trek Nemesis (Good, but a disappointment)

Star Trek Generations (Hated how Kirk died)

I have finally watched the movie. I have not read all the comments above, but I had read enough of the comments in other threads about Nemesis to know that Data would die. So I was already prepared and not shocked by that.

I felt for Picard. His family was breaking up, and even with one last plea, Will and Deanna were committed to going to the Titan. He would still have Data as first officer, however. Then the unexpected shock of and struggle with Schinzon ensued, which had to touch this stoic man deeply, in light of the fact that both his brother and nephew were dead. And Schinzon is unreachable and incorrigible.

After the death of both Schinzon and Data, and after the separation of Will Riker and Picard after Riker disembarked, Picard tries to communicate with B4, looking for what was left of Data. It reminded me of how Data handled is daughter Lau's death, in a way.

But I think that in spite of his stoic, business as usual attitude, at the end of the movie Picard was carrying that gut-wrenching, hollow stomach type of pain that one bears after the loss or death of loved ones, and not just for the Data, but for separated Will and Deanna, and for what might have been with Schinzon.

I really liked this movie. It felt real because of what was going on with Picard.