Sign in to follow this  
Dana Scully

Star Trek Nemesis

I've got a movie question:

Picard's photo of his younger self has him bald and in what some claim to be an "enlisted" uniform. However, in TNG's "Tapestry", I believe, we see a young Picard with a head full of hair and in an officer's uniform.

Is it possible he enlisted with a shaved head, then joined the acadamy and grew out his hair?

Would make sense to me.

Well, I thought about that too as I saw him watching the photo.

I read that it is just one of the mistakes in the movie and it has no special meaning.

Mrs. Captain Picard

It was the first, last and only. It was never mentioned again and taht was one of the reasons that Spiner thought few of us would ahve taken notice of it, and it seems that he was correct on many counts, but a lot of us still did notice!

Definately! I think there are quite a few more of us that noticed the missing storyline of the aging program and the missing emotion chip, than he was hoping for.

As for the photo...yeah I was wondering about that. Why was he in the different uniform and bald, when he was in the officer's uniform and had hair.. Then I shrugged it off as another."We hope no one notices" situation

In Tapestry Picard and his friends had graduated from the Academy and were waiting to start their first assignments so they would be wearing officer's uniforms. The picture of Picard in Nemesis was from his Academy days so it was the uniform of the Academy he was wearing. As for the hair, many men shave their head for many reasons so the fact that he had no hair in the Nemesis picture and hair later only means that he changed his hairstyle which most people do more than a few times in their lives.

I just assumed he was younger in the photo than in "Tapestry" and left it at that.

As for Data's aging chip, what was the episode title?

As Takara stated above and I and Lessa confirmed the episode is "Inheritance"(the episode we meet Dr. Julianna (Soong)Tainer, Data's mother)

I just thought of something.  Is Admiral Janeway the first Admiral Picard got along with? :biggrin:

The first Admiral we saw Picard get along with on TNG was in season 1's Coming of Age when "the captain's old friend, Admiral Gregory Quinn" was aboard.

Oh yeah, forgot about him.  Was there anyone else? :hug:

Picard + Admiral = Conflict

(usually :wow: )

Like the equation there! That is amusing..and true. I too am trying to remember if there was anyone other than Quinn..darn, I really can't right now.

The only Admiral that I can think of that Picard had any problems with was Admiral Nechayev and they did seem to work that out in later TNG episodes.

Admiral Doherty in Insurrection was obviously a problem but they didn't have any relationship problems until Picard learned the truth about the Ba'ku mission.

I think it is a myth to say that Picard didn't get along with Admirals.

It came out yesterday in england and i bought it so i could watch it again. I don't think it is the best star trek film but it is still very good.

:laugh:

Ok here is what I have to say about this movie..

(this is from my board)

Ok well I will start off by saying it is not my favorite TNG movie..

Ramble on

I think that because of things cut from the film there were loose ends.. Like the Rikers leaving for the Titan or Beverly leaving for Starfleet medical.. Or how in the universe Wesley Crusher got there..

I hate the fact that Data got blown up and that they had a bad funeral for him..

1 toast

1 person cried and

1 person told a story..(a somewhat pathetic story if you ask me)

While I think the movie had a great plot line in terms of the Romulans and Shinzon I think they need(needed) to move past Picard and Data always being the center of the plot.. If you have the DVD you know that its Picard and Data with Shinzon on the cover and Picard and Data on the disc and on the other side of the sheet inside who else but Picard and Data.. I believe on the back there is Picard, Data, Worf, Shinzon and Shinzon's addviser dude.. I could be wrong..

Any way as I've stated many times I think TNG needs to pass the torch and leave us with good memories.. Like the wedding or the end of "All Good Things..."

Ramble off

Thats just what I think but thats because I count the seconds that Beverly is even seen on the screen.. 

I really enjoyrf the movie. I know that it is not the best ST movie but hey it was alot better than ST:V.

I saw Nemesis in the theater, and I haven't yet watched the DVD. I really didn't care for the movie because I thought the story line was very choppy-really rotten job of editing there! The battle scenes did impress me, but there were too many plot holes, many of which are mentioned in previous posts-ie, why was Wesley wearing a Starfleet uniform in the two second shot we see of him at the wedding? I thought the story line was waaaay too much like The Wrath of Khan-the captain meets a villian who is out for revenge, and a beloved character dies saving the day. But lightning doesn't strike twice, and this movie was no where near as good as The Wrath of Khan. The scene between William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy while Spock is dying still brings tears to my eyes over twenty years and multiple viewings later. The TNG crew's reaction to Data's death left alot to be desired..."Oh bummer, Data's dead, let's toast his memory, clink, boo-hoo, that's it."

I don't know, though it might not be as dramatic as the death of Spock, Data's death still makes me choke up a bit.

Nemesis is by far my FAVORITE of the TNG films. It still had some of the problems that all of the TNG films have had however and that's that it spent why too much time trying to cram in the action and not enough time with the charactars. Rick Berman said that the original cut was close to 2 hrs and 45 minutes long. I kinda wish they had kept it that way because it felt like there was simply a lot missing. (and I don't just mean the small handful of deleted scenes on the DVD).

Overall however it is still an excellant movie! Picard was awesome as always, Shinzon was a great villin, the wedding of Riker and Troi was fun, and the death of Data made me cry.

Yeah, Nemesis probably would have been better if so much hadn't been cut out of it. I really think they should have kept the conversation between Picard and Data in there. It is the deleted scene where we see Picard's instument from the probe where he lived someone else's life

Haven't seen the movie yet! :)

Didn't read any of the posts above. :bow:

Do know that Data dies. B)

Plan to read the above after I rent the video of the movie.

Data's dead : ( why did they have to kill him? I just finished crying from it. I'm still really sad. I'm starting to cry again......... Why?

The music was the best part though. It was like a mixture of Star Wars, Alien Resurrection, and The Mummy music, and some of its own kind too. Poor Data.

In the special features, they say that it was a combination of Brent Spiner starting to show his age through the makeup and becuase they felt the movie was building up for "something to happen". They wanted to either kill off Picard or Data, and at the last minute, Brent Spiner decided it should be Data. Since this or the next movie was to be the final TNG movie, I didn't have a problem with it. However, to be honest, I allways figured it would be Worf to be killed off in the movies, not Data, since Klingons dream of dieing in glorrious battle.

Why couldn't Picard die? At least I would have had the satisfaction of knowing that Data had lived. I had always knew that Data died in the movie. But now that I've seen it for the first time, its different.

i really think it was a big mistake of the writeres to kill off data i mean they could have explained data's aging mabe he wanted to look older so that it appeared as if he was human i mean come on.... he was my favorite character in fact if i see a re-run and data isnt the focus i dont watch it...

Ps: when people say it was a mistake to kill data they dont mean the writers went la dee da dee da OOPS umm... guys i just killed data *sorry* they mean that it wasnt a good thing for them to do as in they shouldnt have made the desicion to kill him.....

he was my favorite character in fact if i see a re-run and data isnt the focus i dont watch it...

Oh C'Mon Now. There Are Plenty Of Great Episodes Where He Isn't The Central Character :dude:

No Offesne, But I Guess You And The Soong Sisters I Suppose Would Have Prefered The Show Be Called "Star Trek : Data" :laugh:

Again, No Offense...Just Calling It Like I See It...Even If I May Be Wrong

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

So what if they kill off Data? It's not your story to tell, but Berman, Braga, and friends to tell. I thought Data's death scene was very heroic and fitting. Personally, if I had been told a Trek character might die, I would be expecting Picard becuase of the actor is getting old, or Worf, becuase Klingons dream of dieing in glorrious battle. Brent Spiner says, in the DVD special features, that the ending was "building up to something", and that it would either be Picard or Data's death, and in the end, they chose to kill off Data.

Instead of nitpicking a story and saying what it "should" have been, why not enjoy it for what it is - a geat action movie?

Also, I'm kind'a glad we didn't get a "good-bye" type ending. It's kind'a nice knowing that everyone, except Data, is "out there" and off to new adventures. I think the only reason why the TOS cast got a "good-bye" style ending, was becuase the cast were old and it seemed fitting to conclude their story instead of just leaving them out there.

I liked Nemesis especially the end when the Romulans hailed the Enterprise and picard said those words "on screen" lol great. I dont belive they should of killed data and it would of been good if some of the schimitar was left to study. It would of been better if it had more Romulans in and less Remans.

Edit: Sorry did not relise i had already posted and i have watched it again sinse then and now i like it even more.

:assimilated:

Edited by Tal Shiar 8472