Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Sherlock Holmes

aholmesavi6fu.jpg

I'm a fan of Sherlock Holmes and the movies of him, especially the movies made in the 1930's and 40's. What is your favorite Sherlock Holmes movie? I was just watching my DVD copy of the 1933 film "A Study In Scarlet". It's a good film, even though it's not really anything like the book. But the plot of the film has been used in other things recently like on the Simpsons when Abe and Mr. Burns fight over the paintings of the Flying Hellfish.

What's your favorite Holmes film?

I've only watched one of the old Holmes movies with Basil Rathbone. They take too many liberties with the character for my taste. The old movies are what caused the misconception that Holmes had a catch phrase of "Elementary, my dear Watson" when, in fact, he never uttered those words together in the books. He said "elementary" and "my dear Watson" but never together.

For me, the late Jeremy Brett will always be the greatest Sherlock Holmes. His performances were absolutely brilliant and, together with the tremendous adaptations of the books, will never come close to being equalled. The Holmes series that he starred in followed Conan Doyle's books so well you can actually find dialogue that was lifted word for word to the television scripts. Other actors played Holmes but Jeremy Brett was Holmes.

Edited by Takara_Soong

While I haven't seen them for years, I always enjoyed the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies.

Sherlock_Holmes.jpg

Hmmm..I would have figured he would be your favourite Sherlock Holmes, Takara.

Data is a close second but even he can't do Holmes like Jeremy Brett. :laugh:

Wasn't Basil Rathbone in the original Star Wars movie?

Not unless you saw his ghost. He died in 1967.

that was Peter Cushing

Peter Cushing also played Sherlock Holmes a few times. Most recently a television movie from 1984 called The Masks of Death. In 1968 he played Holmes in a British series. In 1959 he played Holmes in The Hound of the Baskervilles which was the first Holmes movies filmed in colour.

anyone remeber a movie show about the young sherlock holmes?

Yes, I've seen it a couple times. Young Sherlock Holmes was made in 1965 starring Nicholas Rowe as Holmes. The plot was that Holmes and Watson met in a boarding school and solved a mystery involving a plot to murder a series of British businessmen by an Egyptian cult.

As far as favorite Sherlock Holmes performances, I liked Basil Rathbone, but agree that the Jeremy Brett performances were great and they did seem to be very faithful to Doyles stories and dialogue.

I've never seen any Holmes movies, but I have played several Holmes based PC games and I did read the book "Hound of the Baskerville" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

My favorite has always been Jeremy Brett but Basil was my all time second fave Holmes

Did anyone see the Holmes movie with Alan Arkin as Freud? The Seven Percent Solution?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075194/

One of the weirdest Holmes movie besides

Sherlock Holmes in NY(where Roger Moore is Holmes and Patrick macnee is Steed i mean as Watson)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075208/

Edited by Ambassador tinadoll