Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

TNG Spotlight

A dying cybernetist working on bridging the gap between man and machine downloads his intellect in Data taking over his body.

Synopsis from startrek.com

Click for Spoiler:

Graves' young assistant, Kareen Brianon, has summoned for help against Graves' wishes.

An away team, led by Data, beams down to assist the dying Graves. Data develops a particularly strong rapport with the brilliant scientist, who is bravely enduring the final stages of a terminal disease. Shortly after Graves tells Data of his remarkable ability to transfer human knowledge into a computer, he dies.

Back on board the Enterprise, Data displays extremely uncharacteristic behavior, going so far as to accuse Picard of having lustful intentions toward Kareen. After an engineering test reveals no mechanical malfunctions with him, Troi tests Data's psychological reactions and discovers two conflicting personalities within him — Data's normal personality, along with a brilliant but irrational side which is quickly taking over his mind.

Meanwhile, Data reveals to Kareen that he is actually Graves, who transferred his dying mind and body into Data's mechanical frame. He also tells her that he intends to place her in an android body so they can be together eternally. A frightened Kareen rejects Data's plan, which triggers a violent reaction in him.

Having discerned Graves' scheme, Picard confronts Data and begs Graves to vacate Data's body and mind. In response, Data knocks the captain unconscious. But when Picard is revived, he is relieved to learn that Graves' knowledge has been transferred to the ship's computer, thus returning Data back to normal.

Data meets his "Grandfather". His grandfather than proceeds to take over his body. It was interesting to see Data with Ira's emotions but it was great to see Data back as Data. Another great acting job by Brent Spiner. :clap:

Agreed. that fact that you see "Data" acting very "Un-Data-like" as soon as Ira takes over was very well done but Brent. It was also great to see Data's friends beg for his live. You also get to learn a bit about our android friend in this one.

Ira talks about how he can hear better than a dog and Data strength is shown when Ira can't hadle it in a way that will not hurt all of those around him. A very good episode and the "To know him, was to love him" speach was a scream!!!!

I like this episode a lot. It shows a completely different Data. The speech was so great :clap: I remember the end of the episode when Wesley asks him if he remembers "To love him is to know him." Data made me laugh so much!

Mrs. Captain Picard

I really enjoyed this episode, and not just for THAT reason :clap: I thought it was very entertaining, interesting, and thought-provoking, and I know I've said that about other episodes before, but that;s what makes a good star trek episodes, and that's what this episodewas. IMO, that is.

I have always liked this episode for exactly the reasons everyone has stated above. And I agree that speech is a scream!

I haven't seen this episode in years.. but I remember it being very good. Brent Spiner is such a wonderful actor able to play so many different roles.

I like this episode a lot. It shows a completely different Data. The speech was so great  :D  I remember the end of the episode when Wesley asks him if he remembers "To love him is to know him." Data made me laugh so much!

Mrs. Captain Picard

LOl, yeah the speach was great :D

I agree with you guys...

This episode is memorable by Brent Spiner acting and by this speech...

Honestly, with all the times I saw this episode. I wonder if I stand listening to all of it without wanting to scream.. lol

I remember seeing Dr.Selar and being smitten with her immediately :dude: .I used to wonder why so many women were crazy about Spock.Now I know.Its the Vulcan ears!They drive you crazy! :laugh:

I just love the look on Picards face during the speech, hilarious.

This episode is one of the better from season 2, but not one of my fav.

Brent Spiner is a remarkeable actor...

I wasn't a huge fan of this episode. There were some good Data moments, but in my opinion it was one of the weaker episodes overall in season 2. 7/10

Yes, I thought that was a great episode myself. It was great to see Brent Spiner in another challenging role other than Data. He really did the character justice. B)

BRILLIANT! :laugh:

HILARIOUS! :huh: :laugh::dude: