Sign in to follow this  
master_q

More Negative Publicity for Trek

More Negative Publicity for Trek

TV Guide's July 26 issue features a Stargate SG-1 cover with the heading: "Forget Trek! Stargate SG-1 is now sci-fi's biggest hit!"

The July 25 issue of Entertainment Weekly has a two page article on the Star Trek franchise entitled "Fallen Star", with a teaser on the magazine's cover asking, "Can Star Trek Be Saved?". The story, which suggests ways to improve Star Trek, is accompanied by a drawing of Kirk, Picard, Janeway, and Archer carrying an Enterprise with the lower section shaped like a coffin.

--TrekToday http://www.trektoday.com/news/180703_02.shtml

What do you think about all of this negative publicity the Star Trek franchise is facing?

Do you think Star Trek is going downhill?

(If it is) How do you think Star Trek should be revived?

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I hate it that Star Trek is getting negative pubicity,Enterprise is a good show that is every bit as good as the other series. I guess we'll see what happens after next season since they are suppose to go in a new direction maybe the Enterprise haters will change their minds.But for me I love it the way it is already!

Stardate:213545.6

Yeh Star Trek is going downhill.It has been for years(at least as far as ratings go)I agree I think Enterprise is a wonderful show.But my thoery is this:History will repeat itself.After TOS was cancelled people figured "Well thats it Star Trek is done"Then all of a sudden a movie,then two movies,the TNG,then more movies and all of a sudden Star Trek was thriving again.I have faith in Star Trek.History will repeat itself.

As far as that cartoon goes I saw it.Ha ha ha very funny.Now where is that cartoonist so I can slap him.

I don't trust the ratings or critics. I haven't believed a critic since they said Charriots of Fire was the greatest thing since sliced bread. (It was about the most boring movie I have ever sat through.)

Star Trek will be fine, and as far as this series compared to the othere goes I believe Enterprise is stronger in content then the others. It has had a better first 2 years then any of the series with the exception of TOS.

i don't think star trek is going downhill. i find a lot of people watch it. you can also tell by the amount of people on these message boards

Stardate:213545.6

As far as that cartoon goes I saw it.Ha ha ha very funny.Now where is that cartoonist so I can slap him.

:clap:You hold him and I'll claw him. How's that?

There is always some one out there to put what ever they hate down. I guess now we are getting to see who they are. I don't like that kind of pubicity. :clap: Of course, I'm from the old school, where if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all. But there are those that have to force their opinions on all.

I’m probably going to sound like a broken record (LOL) because I have talked about things to this nature several times.

In one of my replies I talked about the fact that ST is in danger. Now someone might like ENT or the tenth ST movie, but you can’t dispute numbers.

The numbers are bad and that’s why it is getting so much negative publicity. Like I said someone might like ENT or Nemesis, but the main point is that it is not doing that well in the charts.

Before the first episode of ENT was on air I basically told everyone I knew to watch it. Several of those people like ST a lot, but are not as a big of fan as I. So the show aired on TV and it got very high ratings. Paramount in fact advertised this fact a lot. So it had a lot of people to start off with. I talked to some of the people that I told “watch the show” and I asked then what they thought of it and the consensus was that they did not like it. After that first episode the ratings went down hill from that point. This just shows that ENT had the numbers to start off with, but the show just lost a majority of those viewers.

For Nemesis I just think that it was not that great and that’s why it did badly in the theaters. One of the big factors in this was the terrible director. Maybe he could direct other things, but he did not come through on this movie. The movie had a great concept it just was not executed correctly and much of that blame falls to the director.

Another area where ST in general has been shot is in computer games. The company that use to make games for ST has decided not to anymore (at least for now). That’s just another wound that the franchise has, but I think that is just a minor thing.

Someone might like ENT or the latest movie, but the majority of people seem not to like it and the numbers show that. You can’t ignore the numbers. I’ll say it again if ENT does not improve and it continues in do badly, then ST is in real danger and the only way that ST can be brought back to life is if it takes a break. You can never really argue numbers. ST is going down hill and it shows. If someone does not see that, then they are blinded by the facts. Mabye I do think that ST can be brought back up.

ST went downhill once Berman stretched it out too thin. To quote a popular phrase “Berman has to go.” But like I have stated I do think that ST can be brought back up.

Another note - this I don’t think is about people wanting to bring down ST. In fact, the British magazine is talking to the fans to see what they want to change or what they want to see improved. Yes, some of this negative publicity is not good. But people like Berman have to wake up.

People that read what I have stated probably will take what I said wrong. For one I don’t think all this publicity is correct or is a good thing, but ST is in danger and that really is a fact. ST costs money to make and it is not making that much. That’s a big issue.

I’m going to quote someone

After five months of second-guessing from TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly, it’s a little late in the game to gang up on UPN’s beleaguered Enterprise. But the word coming out of Paramount that the Star Trek people are still mystified as to why Star Trek Nemesis bombed and Enterprise languishes at the bottom of the ratings indicates that the message hasn’t gotten through. 

And that seems to be the truth.

Master Q

Is Star Trek in trouble? Can you say UPN? As another thread mentioned the ratings are irrelevant because some of us don't get ENT at any regular time. (plus it's a know fact that Nielsen's are non-representative).

So ENT is being judged as a network show when it is in reality more a network - syndication hybrid. The UPN PTB's have also contributed to the decline in quality by their over-emphasis on juvenile sex themes - but that's another broken record.

Is Star Trek in trouble?  Can you say UPN?  As another thread mentioned the ratings are irrelevant because some of us don't get ENT at any regular time. (plus it's a know fact that Nielsen's are non-representative).

So ENT is being judged as a network show when it is in reality more a network - syndication hybrid.  The UPN PTB's have also contributed to the decline in quality by their over-emphasis on juvenile sex themes - but that's another broken record.

That is another big factor. However, I don’t think that alone is making ENT get bad ratings. When ENT first aired it had about 12 million viewers, but now it has about 3 to 4.

But I do fully agree that UPN is hurting the show a lot

Master Q

why not go back to the past? as in NBC. if enough trek fans write berman, he could probably pull some strings and get it on a GOOD network that once showed Star Trek.

TV Guide's July 26 issue features a Stargate SG-1 cover with the heading: "Forget Trek! Stargate SG-1 is now sci-fi's biggest hit!"

I remember when the film Stargate was at the theater at the same time as a Trek film and they ran a commercial saying "forget Trek, see SG again", I have been boycotting SG ever since.

The July 25 issue of Entertainment Weekly has a two page article on the Star Trek franchise entitled "Fallen Star", with a teaser on the magazine's cover asking, "Can Star Trek Be Saved?". The story, which suggests ways to improve Star Trek, is accompanied by a drawing of Kirk, Picard, Janeway, and Archer carrying an Enterprise with the lower section shaped like a coffin.

EW is now on my boycott list.

What do you think about all of this negative publicity the Star Trek franchise is facing?

Do you think Star Trek is going downhill?

(If it is) How do you think Star Trek should be revived?

Trek has had negative publicity from day one so nothing new there. The critics did shut-up for a while during the heyday of TNG but now they are back to their old slamming ways is all. I am a Trekker, always have been and always will be, I love Trek warts and all.

Alterego, why boycott STARGATE SG-1? The show rocks and the star, Ricard Dean-Anderson, has expressed an interrest in seeing the cast of ENTERPRISE show up for an episode or two. They've also had numerous guest stars from the varrious STAR TREK shows.

Just becuase the advertises and a magazine thinks Trek is dead and SG-1 is the "new Trek", doesn't mean the cast & crew feel the same. :rolleyes:

why not go back to the past? as in NBC. if enough trek fans write berman, he could probably pull some strings and get it on a GOOD network that once showed Star Trek.

If it only were that easy, but I fully agree that ENT would be better off on NBC (or some other station)

Master Q

Alterego, why boycott STARGATE SG-1?

It was the producers of SG which created the commercial saying "forget Trek, see Stargate again" back when the original film had been released. Trek has never resorted to this kind of campaigning, slamming something else to attract viewers.

Just becuase the advertises and a magazine thinks Trek is dead and SG-1 is the "new Trek", doesn't mean the cast & crew feel the same. :(

I am glad the cast members of SG have shown respect for Trek, my boycott is not against them but the producers that allowed an ad saying "forget Trek".

Saw another slam last night on the 200 Greatest Pop Icons on VH-1. They made an icon out of William Shatner and proceeded to slam Trek fans after that - only live in a corner of their mother's basement, etc. I was too tired to be angry last night, but I DO NOT APPRECIATE THE "HUMOR." I know, we've been receiving it since day one, but what's the sense of ticking off the largest fan base in the world? Now THAT I don't understand. Name me something that, in all, has a bigger fan following!!

OK, That headline on that magazine irked me,I am so tired of that question being repeatedly asked by magazines. How do we save Trek? Enterprise gets a better network, some stronger storylines, and magazines stop running this subject(the life of Trek) into the dirt.

And the cartoon?hmmm another reason I will NOT be reading that article.

As for SG-1...OMG! That is a show I cannot stand! Loved the movie, severely dislike the series.

Ricard Dean-Anderson, has expressed an interrest in seeing the cast of Enterprise show up for an episode or two.

Mmmm I wonder how they'd handle that ? ST & SG in different dimensions..I guess Dean and Co would find a gate and end up on a planet and somehow attract Bakula and Co.

Maybe the cast of Enterprise could show up on SG-1 as different characters? I could see it now...

Archer - Dunno, got any ideas?

T'Pol - The female Jaffa from a recent episode.

Trip - Annoying engineer, competition for Carter. :(

Reed - Trigger-happy soldier, makes friends with Teal'c fast.

Hoshi - Archeologist, makes friends with Daniel.

Maywether - Random SGC guy.

Phlox - Return of the Trekkie-scientist.

I saw the article in TV Guide. POOOOOOOO Stargate. The show is not as good as it once was either. It was far better back when it was on Showtime.

Keep in mind that it's not SG-1's fault that TV Guide is saying "Forget Trek". :(

It was the producers of SG which created the commercial saying "forget Trek, see Stargate again" back when the original film had been released.

What TV Guide has said recently has NOTHING to do with it, they are quoting something originally said by the producers of SG back when the SG was playing at the theaters at the same time as a Trek film was!

If Star Trek is dying the blame can be lain squarely on the shoulders of Berman and Braga.Their arrogance in believing that they and they alone could reshape Trek in their own image and cast off the history of the franchise has caused thousands of fans to turn their backs on Enterprise.Some have never even bothered to watch the show.Myself,I watch very little of it.Usually,I only watch if I'm bored to tears and nothing else is on.Enterprise should have never happened.After Voyager Trek should have left the airwaves for a while so the Trek writers could have concentrated on producing a few great movie scripts for TNG and DS9 casts.Its too late now.After Enterprise,I'd be surprised if we get another tv series by 2020.

Sign in to follow this