Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Chakotay

Was Chakotay a dynamic, inspirational member of the Voyager crew, or was he 'just average'?

He had his moments, but he wasn't a Riker or a Spock. I'd rate him 3rd on the list. You can't really add Kira to the list since it's so totally different being on a station vs. on a ship. I don't think we can rank T'Pol yet either.

:lol: I agree with Va. Beach Guy. Chakotay had his moments of greatness. And he certainly could take over and run the ship if he had to. But he had a sort of "Low Key" personality, definitely not the commanding personality of a Rikker or a Spock. Also there were times when I personally felt he allowed his emotions to get in the way of his better judgement.

He did kind of have a quiet personality, like Gotabite said. The producers said that he suffered from 'First Officer syndrome' as they called it. What was he supposed to do? The Captain made all the big decisions and he wasn't the head of a department, he just sat next to her. They tried to fix it, and he did have his moments, but it was hard to find something for him to do.

He did kind of have a quiet personality, like Gotabite said. The producers said that he suffered from 'First Officer syndrome' as they called it. What was he supposed to do? The Captain made all the big decisions and he wasn't the head of a department, he just sat next to her. They tried to fix it, and he did have his moments, but it was hard to find something for him to do.

Yes, Captain Janewayin my opinion was the only "real" leader on Voyager . Her consulting with Chakotay was usually limmited to letting him know what she had decided to do, and to see if he was supportive of her decision. It wasn't often that she would seek his thoughts before she would make up her mind. Now I'm not necessarily being critical of her leadership style. For I did like how she would gather all of her senior officers together to discuss issues and situations on the ship. But Chakotay never stood out as a member of that team. He presented as just another member of that group of senior officers. He never was a dynamic, energetic leader in those meetings. You never would have known he was second in command. :lol:

I hate to say this but, Gotabite and TrekkieMage are right on this. But what was the bad part was that the writers made it that way. Why ,I don't know but this was how his part was written. I think it stinks when they do this to a character. IMO, if they write a part in that level ( of 2nd in command ) they should follow though with the script.

I hate to say this but, Gotabite and TrekkieMage are right on this. But what was the bad part was that the writers made it that way. Why ,I don't know but this was how his part was written. I think it stinks when they do this to a character. IMO, if they write a part in that level ( of 2nd in command ) they should follow though with the script.

You are absolutely correct.....the writers wrote his character this way. I hated the way he was portrayed as the second in comand. To me it was almost like the writers were afraid to have a strong male image in this role for fear of Captain Janeway as the Captain not being respected in her role. But in my opinion whoever the Captain is, male or female, they have to be respected..........and they need someone by their side who is strong, sharp, dynamic....someone they can consult with and who can assist them, and feel confident about them being able to take over at any minute should it be necessary.........I guess to give Chakotay his due, I must remember that he came into being second in comand only because of what happened when Voyager ran into the Caretaker....after Janeway's second in command was killed.......When the MaQuis crew was integrated with Voyager's crew, this was an appointment made by Janeway.........So Chakotay being second in command on Voyager, never really meant he was or could be the leader type we saw on the other Star Trek series. I think the appointment was done out of respect for the fact that Chakotay commanded the MaQuis ship........I guess I've written too much here so I'll stop now :laugh::laugh: :lol:

they have to be respected..........and they need someone by their side who is strong, sharp, dynamic....someone they can consult with and who can assist them, and feel confident about them being able to take over at any minute should it be necessary.........I guess to give Chakotay his due, I must remember that he came into being second in comand only because of what happened when Voyager ran into the Caretaker....after Janeway's second in command was killed.......When the MaQuis crew was integrated with Voyager's crew, this was an appointment made by Janeway.........So Chakotay being second in command on Voyager, never really meant he was or could be the leader type we saw on the other Star Trek series.  I think the appointment was done out of respect for the fact that Chakotay commanded the MaQuis ship.......

This is true, but even so, they could have left him add a little more strenght to the character. This is what RB wanted to do. The writer hindered the character and RB. IMO, if they had just left him add to the character of Chakotay alittle more strenght, it would have made the show more interesting. But, I'm not one of the writers. Nor, if I where, would I have lasted long in that position. I would have fought with them like a cat to get more for his part. Possibly, even some of the others, too. (not Seven,for sure). :lol:

I think Chakotay had a boring personality. He was very bland. Seven and Tuvok had more of a personality than Chakotay. Even the Doctor, a hologram, was a more dynamic character. It's too bad, too, because Chakotay has such a rich history and everything. He could have been a really cool character, but as it was, I think he was boring. Most episodes that centered around him weren't that interesting. He almost puts me to sleep when he's talking... almost.

I also think Janeway was the only real leader on Voyager. She'd ask for her first officer's advice, but she'd ignore it if it went against what she'd already planned.

But he's got some good things about him. For one, he's loyal. He is very loyal to Captain Janeway. Even when his crew is first integrated with Voyager's. He was a Maquis. He could have easily not cooperated with Janeway, or he could have betrayed her once he had gained Janeway's trust. But he didn't. And he never left her side. That sort of thing is what's needed in a second officer, and for that, I think he was a good one. He also had very strong morals and he always stood up for them. He wouldn't break his moral code for anything, even if things were tough. And I admire that.

And that tattoo was really neat.

So, taking all that into consideration, I think he was an average character. Not super bad, not super cool. He was just sort of "there."

Janeway was such a strong character... A real leader, that made her decision and stick to them.

That never help a second in command to look... good in post.

I like the spirituality about Chakotay character. However, looking at the way he was portrayed, why did he was a captain on a Marquis Starship?

The "hero" part of the character is missing.. What makes Riker, Spock and Kira good second. He seems more like a silent leader.

But well, I really feel something is missing in his personality the way they showed him in the serie

Was Chakotay a dynamic, inspirational member of the Voyager crew, or was he 'just average'?

He had his moments, but he wasn't a Riker or a Spock. I'd rate him 3rd on the list. You can't really add Kira to the list since it's so totally different being on a station vs. on a ship. I don't think we can rank T'Pol yet either.

I concur. You could picture Riker being a captain from day one but not Chakotay, though he made a good first officer.

I thought he was an excellent first officer, if I had to make a dream crew he would be one of my first pick. It wasn't until that voyager episode, nemesis where I offically made him my pick as fav 1st officer.

Chakotay was an excellent first officer.in fact,when he and Janeway butted heads i would usually agree with him on whatever point was being argued.If not for the Maquis situation,Chakotay would have been a starship captain himself.He had all the tools necessary for command.Too bad his character wasn't given more depth and featured in more episodes.Like Riker,on TNG,Chakotay(after a while)just kind of got shuffled aside for more dynamic characters like the Doctor and Seven.He deserved better.It'd be great if he was commanding a starship now.

I have to agree I rember reading that robert beltran was complaing that they were not giving him any lines and I will have to agree he was never developed he was just ignored after seven came on board there are alot of good shows that he is in before seven that proves it I guess they decied that he was not that important anymore but I always liked him I would watch a show with him as captain

Chakotay, who is that? He was never around, and when he did he didn't feel quite like a first officer, except for when he "butted heads" with Janeway. The only time that I felf Chakotay was important was when the maquis were still getting used to being on Voyager becuase he was their former leader and it was his job to intergrate them. Anyways, he is my least favorite main character in Star Trek.

I liked Chakotay. But I agree that his character stopped being explored that much later on the show. There was some good episode early on the show that developed his character quite a bit.

Well, in my opinion, Chakotay acted more like a ship's counselor than a first officer. He never made any command decisions, and Janeway basically used him as a "shoulder to cry on." She made a tough decision, and then she would call Chakotay in to her ready room just to ask him how he felt about her decision. Her mind was made up, regardless of how Chakotay felt.

Chakotay an average first officer?In my opinion,yes.He was.

First of all,let me say that no man or woman manages to get promoted to the rank of executive officer of a Starfleet vessel or facility without first being highly intelligent and competent.That said,Chakotay did not show me anything more remarkable than this.

Edited by Sirius