Sign in to follow this  
poguemahone

Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?

• yes
    • maybe
    • yes only after admiting he bet on baseball
    • no way

I was watching this Mock-Trial tonight on ESPN, so I decided to pose the question to you guys. Do you think Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame, given that he bet on baseball while the Manager of the Reds, and has been lying about it for the last ten years.

I say yes, only after admiting it.

I voted Yes. How can he be kept out of the Hall of Fame with the career that he had? So, he bet on baseball games..I just don't feel that it should have any affect on his entrance into the Hall of Fame..

I think he should be allowed in to the Hall of Fame. There are people in there now or who will be in there in the future who have done worse than he has and there's no contraversy.

Stardate:213542.9

Well I think he should be admitted into the hall of fame if he admits he bet on baseball.But I think regardless he should be let in after a certain amount of time because of the numbers he has put up.

I mean come on he is the holder of many records in baseball,the most pretigeous (sp?)of these is that he is the all time hits leader in baseball.That is unbeliveable.

All he needs to do to get in is admit he bet on baseball and apologise.He says he didnt do it.Fine then if he didnt do it then all he has to do is lie.Just say you bet on baseball,aplogise then boom in 5 years you have a plaque in Cooperstown.Its not that hard.

Also my question is why are they keeping him out because of this.Rule 21D(The rule in baseball that states you will be banned from baseball if you gamble)is a good rule but there are people in the hall of fame right now that have done way worse things.Ty Cobb the first inductee in the hall of fame and the man Rose passed on the all time hit list was a womaniser and was also accused of gambling.Babe Ruth the most celebrated home run hitter of all time was a hardcore drinker and was arrested for beating his wife numerous times.

The only other players that have been banned from baseball are the 9 Black sox from 1919.They threw the 1919 world series while playing for the White Sox (thats why they are called the black sox)and were banned from baseball.Its kinda sad because Shoeless Joe Jackson(one of the 9)was IMO gonna be the greatest player of all time.If he would of finished his carreer he probably would right now have the home run,RBI,batting average,and many other records that are held by other people.

In conclusion I say Pete Rose should just say he bet on baseball,apologise then he will get into Cooperstown.

As you can see I feel very strongly about this subject.

The only other players that have been banned from baseball are the 9 Black sox from 1919.They threw the 1919 world series while playing for the White Sox (thats why they are called the black sox)and were banned from baseball.Its kinda sad because Shoeless Joe Jackson(one of the 9)was IMO gonna be the greatest player of all time.If he would of finished his carreer he probably would right now have the home run,RBI,batting average,and many other records that are held by other people.

What's even worse for Shoeless Joe Jackson is I understand there is a lot of evidence that he was NOT involved in throwing games in that World Series.

In 1919, Jackson and the White Sox found themselves back in the running for another World Series ring. Jackson batted .351 during the regular season and .375 with perfect fielding in the World Series. The heavily favored Sox found themselves in a losing battle against the Cincinnati Reds. During the next year while batting .385 and leading the American league in triples Jackson was suspended after allegations that 8 members of the White Sox threw the previous World Series. In 1921 A Chicago jury acquitted Jackson of helping to fix the 1919 World Series, but Kenesaw Mountain Landis, the first commissioner of Baseball went against the ruling and banned all eight players including Joe Jackson from baseball for life.

Betting on baseball games doesn't afect his greatness as a ball player. If his uniform is good enough to be there and any other artifacts they may have like balls or bats then why not allow the person to be there as well?

O.J. is still in the NFL hall of fame so why not let Pete in the Baseball HOF?

Betting on Baseball Games has been a sore spot in the majors since the 1919 scandal when the Chicago White Sox threw the World Series to win a bet against their own teem. That is why Pete Rose was given such a harsh punnishment. I think he should be in the Hall of Fame anyway. He broke Ty Cobb's record.

I voted "yes after telling the truth" I believe we are all human and not perfect. Admit the truth and be done with it.

VBG, Please! Don't get me started on "OJ". That there would be a 1000 poster for me. Plus, It would not stop until the next century (posting that is). :clap::clap:

Ok, why is it so important that Pete Rose admit to anything? I believe he did his best to make sure that the Reds won. It may be wrong to bet on sports but I feel that the incident back in 1919 ways heavily on the decision to ban Pete.

Betting on baseball games doesn't afect his greatness as a ball player. If his uniform is good enough to be there and any other artifacts they may have like balls or bats then why not allow the person to be there as well?

O.J. is still in the NFL hall of fame so why not let Pete in the Baseball HOF?

Stardate:213546.6

Very good point I hadent thought of that.

The Halls of Fame are for accomplishments on the field of play in that particular sport, correct?

If that's the case then why allow behavior off the field affect who is inducted? If you allow outside actions dictate who gets in and who doesn't then how about if they disallow someone because he voted for Richard Nixon? Or disallow someone because he made an off color joke at a dinner party and offended a group of people?

The HOF is there to showcase what the player did while playing the game, not what he did in his personal life after he quit playing or became a coach. Isn't it?

Keep in mind I don't consider myself a baseball fan and if I did I would root for Baltimore. But imagine it this way (for people that know a little about Baseball):

Cal Ripkin goes to a party one night and gets really drink. He picks up a 19 or 20 year old girl (He's old enough to be her father) and cheats on his wife. While in the park a police officer shines a light into the window catching him and the girl in the act. Cal, wanting to protect his image gets out of the car and in a druken rage beats the police officer up. He then gets into his car and speeds away. After a high speed chase Cal gives himself up and the story hits all the papers and TV shows. He is convicetd of his crime of assulting the police officer and his many traffic violations, which includes DUI and he spends 2 years in jail before being freed. While he is in jail his wife divorces him and his children disown him for his actions that night.

Those actions would be horrendous, but should they keep Cal out of Cooperstown? Would those actions in any way affect the greatness he displayed on the baseball field for all those years?

If you answer no then why keep Pete Rose out? If you answer Yes then put yourself into the situation. Should you be punished by your employer for a personal matter?

Based on his performance on the field, yes, he should be there.

This is about performance in sports, not the man.

And you already all said it anyway :D

to my knowledge his betting was never against his team thus maybe throwing the game some how. so if he wasnt doing something bad in that manor, what the hecks the problem. i voeted a big 'ol HECK YEAH he should be in the hall of fame. i dont even like baseball and i know hes hall of fame calliber, so once and for all let the guy in.

I voted No, beucase I think that celebrities should have good morals, becuase they are highly looked up too by the teen/child generation.

I voted No, beucase I think that celebrities should have good morals, becuase they are highly looked up too by the teen/child generation.

Gambling is legal, it's not necessarily "Immoral". I don't remember the specifics of his case, and someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe he ever bet on his own teams or that he was ever accused of rigging games. His morals have never been called into question. Besides, what one person says is "moral" and what another may say is "moral" may (and usually are) 2 different things.

Suppose he was being disallowed from induction for being a Baptist and the HOF considers them (Baptists) to be immoral. Or suppose he was homosexual and the HOF believes that to be immoral?

The only factor that should be taken into consideration is his play on the field. Does his career merit induction in the HOF? If the answer is yes then he should be inducted.

Gambling is legal, it's not necessarily "Immoral". I don't remember the specifics of his case, and someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe he ever bet on his own teams or that he was ever accused of rigging games. His morals have never been called into question. Besides, what one person says is "moral" and what another may say is "moral" may (and usually are) 2 different things.

Suppose he was being disallowed from induction for being a Baptist and the HOF considers them (Baptists) to be immoral. Or suppose he was homosexual and the HOF believes that to be immoral?

The only factor that should be taken into consideration is his play on the field. Does his career merit induction in the HOF? If the answer is yes then he should be inducted.

Stardate:213616.9

No he didnt bet on his own team and was not accused of rigging games.As a matter of fact The commishioner that banned him(cant remember his name right this sec)said that he wasnt being accused of rigging games cuase there was alot of talk that was the reason he was being banned.He was banned for betting on other teams playing each other(for example the Phillies and the Expos).

VBG you asked if his career merits induction into the HOF.Without a doubt it does.He has more hits in his career than any player in baseball history.He is up thier in the leader board in RBI's as well.He was one of the greatest hitters to play the game(this is fact not opinion)I think that most definitly merits induction into the HOF.

Absolutely.The Gamblers Hall of Fame in Atlantic City.

Stardate:213671.9

Hardy har har<_<

Yes.The man is a living legend.Dare I say,he was the Michael Jordan of baseball in the 70's.His importance to the game cannot be denied or deminished by un-proven charges of gambling,and it is wrong to try and force an admission of guilt from Rose before allowing him the place of honor he deserves :clap:

Pete Rose is a great ball player.

As was said,nobody's been able to prove he did anything wrong.Let the man into the Hall.

Every year I see new members elected who haven't meant half as much to the game as Rose.What's happened to him is a travesty.