Sign in to follow this  
Riaan

Time Travel

In light of Future Tense re-running last night, I'll pose the same question Trip and Malcolm discussed. If you could travel through time would you, and if you would, would you go into the past or the future?

After considerable thought, I finally decided I would chose to not time travel in either direction.

Regarding traveling to the future, I feel as Trip:

"Wondering about the future and knowing it are two different things...

Some things are better left a mystery...Where's the fun in exploring if you know how it all turns out?"

When it comes to traveling to the past, I would be too afraid of messing up the timelime. One wrong move, even as just an observer, and you can change history. Also the temptation to take info from the present to the past to change your future, or the world's, would be too great. (However, it is tempting to go back and be a little smarter about my own past.)

What are your thoughts?

I'd rather visit the future than the past, as without a full time-travel program set up, you'd risk changing history dramatically. So, if it were just me, I'd head to the future. However, the future, from my perspective, is uncertain. As soon as I visit that future, I now have knowledge of that future, so when I return to my own time, that future is no longer certain. I could make another future jump, and discover a different future due to my knowledge of the previous one. See what I mean? :bow:

I would go back into the past and take with me the knowledge of what football teams would win,what horses would win the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness,I would invest in Microsoft before there is a Microsoft.Then I would live comfortably the rest of my days a very rich man! :bow:

I would go back into the past and take with me the knowledge of what football teams would win,what horses would win the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness,I would invest in Microsoft before there is a Microsoft.Then I would live comfortably the rest of my days a very rich man! :bow:

This is exactly what I was talking about. You would not only change your future, but countless others by this action.

When it comes to traveling to the past, I would be too afraid of messing up the timelime. One wrong move, even as just an observer, and you can change history. Also the temptation to take info from the present to the past to change your future, or the world's, would be too great. 

I would not do a time travel. I am not always happy with the time in which I live but I think it is okay and I don't need to risk a change of historical things or future things... I will stay where I am... In the time I belong :bow:

Mrs. Captain Picard

If I changed my future by making it better and me richer then I see nothing wrong with that! :bow:

Has anyone seen the film "The Final Countdown" with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen? Its a story about the nuclear powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and it sails thru a time rift and ends up on the date December 6th,1941 and they are between Hawaii and the Japenese fleet.They go thru the pros and cons of what to do.The power they have could wipe out the entire Japenese fleet before they ever attack Pearl Harbor.

There is a great fight scene when 2 Jap Zeros shoot up a small American pleasure boat and two American F-16 fighter jets go after them and shoot them down.

Any by the end of the film the USS Nimitz encounters the time rift again before they can attack the Japanese fleet which the captain (Kirk Douglas) finally said they were going to do. The Nimitz returns to its rightful time,but one of the crew members is left back in 1941.

After the Nimitz docks Martin Sheen is walking down the gangplank contemplating the loss of his friend and a Limo pulls up and the driver invites him to sit in the back.When he gets in the limo he sees an old man that turns out to be his friend that was left behind in 1941 and his friend was the guy who designed the USS Nimitz! He used his knowledge of the future to become rich and became an engineer designing the new ships of war.

Great film!!! I recommend it highly!

The Final Countdown was a great movie, I remember trying to get into it in the movie theater but every time I went it was sold out.

As for the future or past, I'd like to see both but if I had to pick one I'd probably pick the past. Would I change something with the world or my life? I don't know but I'd want to visit historical points of history. I'd want to experience a launch of a Saturn V, maybe hook up a VCR to a 1956 TV and get a tape of Elvis on the Dorsey show. How about getting a tape of TOS in it's first run with all of it's original commercials intact so the show is exactly as it was on the night it aired?

I might warn myself about an ex-girlfriend or stop by my house in 1974 to say hello to the family but other then that I'd have to "play it by ear".

Stardate:213542.7

I would go to the past to change a few things that happened in my life.

I would not visit the future because I love the thrill of not knowing what's there and discovering it. However, I'd really be tempted to visit the past - maybe the American revolution or something.

I would travel to the past to mideval Europe and be a knight or fight along side William Wallace. Then again I kind of like it where I am here in the now and not in the past or the future.

Stardate:213542.7

I would go to the past to change a few things that happened in my life.

What happens if you return to the future and discover "another you" who has a better life, thus never travelled back in time to change his past? That you would have your life... and you'd be this "you" from a previous timeline. That's one big pickle you'd be in! :rolleyes: Ah, the paradoxes of time travel... :bow:

If I was to do time travle I would like to do the port hole like in The City on the Edge of Forever. Am I nuts of doseit look like the Gate in Star Gate SG1??

http://www.scifi.com/startrek/episodes/images/28.jpg

You're not nuts. I was just saying the same thing to someone the other day.

I think it may be possible to go into the past and observe - sort of how we see the light from stars that originated billions of years ago - without actually being able to interact. All of these SciFi time travel stories involve one person with a time machine. Imagine hundreds of people going back. Everytime you changed something - someone else would turn around and undo it. The world would be in utter chaos.

And I would like to be able to observe history - it would clear up a lot of mysteries.

I would like to travel into the past.. But not to change anything for myself..It would be as an observer..For one thing there are musical events that would have been great to witness..How about a Beatles, Led Zeppelin or a Jimi Hendrix Concert?..How about the Doors? I am a RED Sox fan and I would love to have seen Ted Williams play..Yes and how about the Original Star Trek series when it first aired?..Wouldn't it have been fantastic to see that?

.. and how about the Original Star Trek series when it first aired?..Wouldn't it have been fantastic to see that?

Your idea of going back in time is to visit events I was there to watch. Okay I feel old now.

id be too afraid, with me knowing what awful things were to happen, I'd try to change things, only to make them worse.

I was already there to watch the first Star Trek episode air so now I too feel old :wow:

I would like to go back and see historical events take place.Find out things like who really assasinated President Kennedy or sit on the shore in Hawaii and watch the attack of Pearl Harbor,or maybe even watch as the confederate rebels fire the first shots at Fort Sumter starting the Civil War.As a history buff it would be great just to be an observer

Hi you oldies :P I was there too

In Germany TOS was aired the same time as soccer, and I tell you I remember the fights with my farther vey well.

But back to topic. As an observer I'd be more than happy to watch ancient times, like the Romans, the Egypts. The JFK/Monroe thing would also be very interesting

I would go back into the past and take with me the knowledge of what football teams would win,what horses would win the Kentucky Derby or the Preakness,I would invest in Microsoft before there is a Microsoft.Then I would live comfortably the rest of my days a very rich man! :P

This is exactly what I was talking about. You would not only change your future, but countless others by this action.

When it comes to traveling to the past, I would be too afraid of messing up the timelime. One wrong move, even as just an observer, and you can change history. Also the temptation to take info from the present to the past to change your future, or the world's, would be too great. 

What if u went back in time and offered to make a small time talentless nerd called Bill Gtaes the richest man in the world by giving him all the plans to Microsoft. On the condition that u would be the real power behind the face...

I'd rather visit the future than the past, as without a full time-travel program set up, you'd risk changing history dramatically.  So, if it were just me, I'd head to the future.  However, the future, from my perspective, is uncertain.  As soon as I visit that future, I now have knowledge of that future, so when I return to my own time, that future is no longer certain.  I could make another future jump, and discover a different future due to my knowledge of the previous one.  See what I mean? :unsure:

I really believe that I would like to visit the future instead of the past as well. Why risk messing up your own life when you can see the outcome of your life. I would like to know how the future is, if it a hellish doom, or a glorious paradise, or a barren waistland. Therefore I can go back in the past and somehow try to save it. If its all good then, I do not have to worry and just live my life. Just going in one time in the future, would not ruin it for me becuase you do not know the decisions that brought you there. I also believe that if you know the future outcome, and no matter how hard you try you would not be able to make any alterations if you travel back in the past.

;) Bel Ami :bow: