Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Bauer

Hockey Canada announces Olympic hockey rosters

Hockey Canada announced its rosters for Men's and Women's Olympic Hockey today in Vancouver. The announcement was made without Executive Director Wayne Gretzky who is in Brantford preparing for his mother's funeral.

Both rosters look impressive, but the men's roster is not without controversy as Todd Bertuzzi was named as one of Canada's 13 forwards. There is some talk that the Canadian Olympic Committee could block Bertuzzi as well as Dany Heatley (for his charges in the U.S. stemming from the incident that claimed the life of teammate Dan Snyder) and Shane Doan (allegedly he made a slur about a francophone referee). I really hope they don't block these players as they have all represented Canada well in the past.

Its difficult for me to comment on the women's roster but with 13 players returning from 2002, they should also be a strong team. Women's hockey is typically very uneven with the U.S. and Canada dominating.

Here are the rosters:

Team Canada Men

Team Canada Women

The men's team is really a very impressive roster that should be favoured to win gold in Torino.

Comments?

The death of Dan Snyder in an automobile accident was truly sad. The Chicago Wolves are associated with the Atlanta Thrashers NHL team. Dan Snyder spoke at a Read To Succeed event at the library where I used to work while playing for the Chicago Wolves. He was a bright, well spoken athlete who had a seemingly bright future ahead of him. Very sad, yet his family seemed to forgive Dany Heatley for his actions at the time. I continue to follow this case with interest.

It will be interesting to watch how the North American Olympic teams do.

It will be interesting to watch how the North American Olympic teams do.

Well the U.S. Olympic Hockey team is somewhat unimpressive.