Sign in to follow this  
Lollypop

' Pirates Of The Caribbean '

onesheet.jpg

Daring Depp: Pirates of the Caribbean

Millions of fans have been on the classic Disney theme park ride, "The Pirates of the Caribbean". Now, mega-producer Jerry Bruckheimer is giving it a major movie overhaul. It's no kid's ride as Johnny Depp sharpens his sword to play a pirate.

Disney has gone all out for Pirates of the Caribbean. The studio even built a 170-foot ship called the "Dauntless" to sail into theatres during the summer.

The principal pirate is none other than Johnny Depp, who gets to wear braids, earrings, braided whiskers and dangling earrings for a really cool pirate's outfit. "It's layers of pirate garb. I got my compass, my baldric, and my sword, " said Depp as he pointed out his costume to our Access Hollywood cameras.

His swashbuckling co-star is Orlando Bloom of The Lord of the Rings movies. "I can't believe how lucky I've been. I've played an elf. I've been a boxer, an outlaw and now a pirate. I'm living like every boy's dream -- it's unbelievable," Bloom told Access.

And if you're going to turn a pirate theme ride into a movie, then who better to pump up the action than the king of chaotic thrills, producer Jerry Bruckheimer.

"We're going to give you big, expansive, romantic -- all the things that you know I would love to go see when I go see a movie," said Bruckheimer.

Viewers can definitely expect to see sword fights. Pirates of the Caribbean is expected to make a huge dent in the box office in July. Depp told Access that he can't wait to bring his kids.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Depp's new film a big hit at US box office

Monday, 14 July , 2003, 09:50

Washington: Johnny Depp's latest film "Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" has earned 13.5 million dollars on its opening day at the US box office, making it one of the top 10 biggest Wednesday openings ever.

And what makes this figure even more impressive is the fact that the film opened during a non-holiday weekend unlike those ahead of it on the list, like Jurassic Park III and Independence Day.

"We knew we had a pretty special film," a spokeswoman for Disney, the studio behind this high-seas epic, in which Depp plays an eccentric Captain Jack Sparrow, was quoted as saying by TeenHollywood. ANI

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Movie Review: Pirates of the Caribbean

The Curse of the Black Pearl

by Jay Mouton

posted July 12, 2003

Jay Mouton

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Walt Disney Pictures

Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley

If you have children between the ages of 12-80 you need to take them out to

see this movie! I'm not kidding! It's an order! Well, I can't order you, but I can tell you that Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is the best movie I've seen in a long, long time.

I don't know if Ebert and Roper gave this movie a "thumbs up" or not, but frankly I don't care. This movie is an all out must see!

Pirates of the Caribbean possessed all of the elements I look for in a

movie: Wonderful acting (I was convinced that each character was a real character), a story (after the husk that was The Hulk watching this movie was a breeze), fantastic scenery (I just love oceans and islands), costumes galore, ghosts, more adventure than you can slice a sword into and so much more!

I know I'm going a bit overboard on this jewel of a movie, but I simply loved it! Loved it!

When Johnny Depp and I first crossed paths I don't remember being all that

fond of him. Well, time has given Mr. Depp a number of remarkable movies

from which to show the world his grand talent and I've become a convert over the years. I've seen Mr. Depp in a few screenplays that I would have to consider duds, but he has never failed to communicate his character to me.

I believe the term best used to describe Mr. Depp would be a "natural." Yep, that's correct - a natural. Keep it up, Johnny.

Ahh, Geoffrey Rush, an actor's actor. This guy can do it all. I first caught Mr. Rush's acting talent in Shine a few years ago. Since that time I've seen him in a few other winner movies such as Les Miserables, House on Haunted Hill, and his quirky work in The Tailor of Panama.

Geoffrey Rush finds himself in good company with Mr. Depp as they both seem to be brave souls and have taken some fantastic leaps of faith when it comes to movie roles - not a jog for the timid.

Both Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are likable talents throughout the movie and Ms. Kinghtley is about a strong and brave a movie heroine I've run across. Another thing that struck me about this movie is that all of the

actors seemed to be having a terribly good time and that's always a plus in

my basic rules of movie making.

The plot is simple enough. Girl meets boy upon the seas, they grow into adulthood, fall in love, but are from different social circles. She is the daughter of an English governor and he is an orphan child found adrift near a sinking ship. Enter Captain Jack Sparrow (Mr. Depp), a whimsical, down on his luck and out of work pirate and you've got the beginnings of adventure.

Suffice to say that there is some violence (hey, it's a pirate movie,

remember?) but nary a cuss word, sex, nor a gratuitous shower scene to be

found. I'm not going to tell you anymore because it's just too much fun to find out for yourselves.

If you read my last movie review (concerning my BIG disappointment with The Hulk) you'll know that I take movies seriously - well, kind of seriously. I can say, without a doubt that Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is a precious adventure that you can safely take most of the family members to see. Treat them and treat yourself - check it out today!

I saw the trailer this morning and it looks brilliant. Johnny Depp said he based his character on Keith Richards, and he was extremely funny.

I can't wait to see this. When I visited Disneyland this was one of my favourite theme rides. And J Depp as well... :laugh: " What more can I ask for "

I saw it opening day (I was part of those wonderful opening day receipts!), and I LOVED it! I'm not a Depp fan (except for Chocolat); I went to see it for Orlando, but Johnny won me over.

Walk in with a sense of humor intact, leave your belief at the door, and you'll have a good time.

My neighbors went to see it (without me :o) and said it was really good and very funny. I really want to see it.!!! I'll probably see it this weekend with one of my friends whose seriously in love with orlando bloom and only wants to see it because of him. :bow:

i saw it in wildwood, at the boardwalk theatre, it was good, but i gotta see it again, because my other half did nothing but complain through the whole movie. but it was good, and cant wait to see it again. :D

BTW, I meant to mention this before - but if you have yet to see this movie - STAY THROUGH THE CREDITS. There's one SHORT clip for the movie after the credits that's cute, and...well...stay, eh? Besides, those people worked long and hard to get their names on that screen. :rolleyes:

Now you tell me! :rolleyes: I would have stayed if I had known but 2 1/2 hours in the theater chair had me anxious to get home, sit down and log-gon! :bow:

I loved this movie! As you may notice by my name and avatar. ;)

I didn't stay through the credits though! I didn't know about the extra scene. I'm going to see it again this Saturday, so I'll be sure to stick around this time.

And, and supposedly, PotC will be released on DVD in December. :borg2:

I've recently been watching this movie a lot

If you haven't seen it yet... go see it... :o

I will be having a different quote from the movie in my sig from time to time... B)

I saw it the other day at a friends house, it was an ok movie and definitely worth watching, but would not fall on my rewatch list.

I was actually quite disappointed. It was still a good movie, but I was let down. With all the hype I figured it had to be an amazing movie. I've learned long ago not to listen to the hype though since I have different movie tastes than the majority. But I let it slide this time... and was disappointed. Not quite as epic as I thought, thought the whole "dead pirates" storyline was a bit much (would have liked it better if it was just about pirates, not dead pirates), and the musical score was aweful. It was mostly synthesized and it sounded it.