Sign in to follow this  
KIMIMELA

My website layout

untitled.bmp

Do you think the layout overall looks ok?

Do you think the button looks ok?

What colour text would look best- white?: yes or no?

Please help me out with your opinions guys. I've cropped it down so it doesn't warp the screen :laugh:

Edited by xXTrekkieCaraXx

Very nicely done. I'm not sure about the commbadge in the top corner, but that may just be me.

The bottons are nice, but I don't think they match very well. There really isn't much else purple in the site. Maybe a gold or a blue (to match the TNG lettering)

What will be going in the content?

You should not use frames, even though they are supported by all modern browsers, they can be incredibly annoying.

Use full-page tables, they are a bit harder to make, but look much more professional and are not as annoying.

Thanks you guys. It was made with tables but I'll set the thickness to 0. As for the buttons, I can see where you're coming from there guys.

The content will be my multimedia art I have been doing throughout my course so Universities, Job Employers or Clients can see my work. I've done lots of work for the Performing Arts groups for backgrounds to their dancing.

As a practising Web Designer I think I should own a website, don't you think?

My illustrating lecturer

My web design lecturer

The buttons are the first thing that jump out at me. I think you should use them but just run them through an image program and adjust the color. Personally my vote would be to shift them red since that would look good and the letters would still be very easily read. Also, the background. It's gotta go. Too, generic of a star spread. As for the frames, they should be changed to tables if nothing else because they have a habit of interfering with bookmarking (learnt that the hard way). If doing the tables manually sounds like too much effort I highly recommend changing th language you use to PHP as it will make table and cell generation much simpler and also helps prevent code stealing. Other than that concept seems good.

Edited by bones88

Guys, forget that layout completely, I've signed up to Funtigo!

Check out my site. I've got no content on it so far. Please vote, I am making the scrolling across rather than down, like on my lecturer's site. First question: Do you think this navigation is right?

creativecozza

It looks good, but one thing i would do is resize the home page. Its a little wide because i have to scroll across to see the rest of the content.

hm, I think you might need to tone down on the repititious pics.

But overall, glad to see you're getting the hang of the wonderfull world of HTML!!!!!!!

It looks good, but one thing i would do is resize the home page. Its a little wide because i have to scroll across to see the rest of the content.

I was hoping to create a scroll across page. Something went wrong in the HTML there... I need some alterations somewhere...

Teh creativecozza site is nice, but the repetitive pic is a bit distracting. Maybe soemthing more simplistic...like this:

Student CS page

or the website you pointed out:

http://www.henrykszor.com/

The trick is making it visually apealling without overdoing it. Which the repeating bright blue comes close to, but there are ways of toning it down without losing the idea.

The difference is, I don't have the right software to do it and I'm not 100% sure about HTML right now. I'm saving up for a Mac and the software: Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2 and Dreamweaver MX. I use them all the time actually at college.

Yes, I do think Henryk's site is very clear. So is his artwork.

what are you using for you html? in my computer class we used microsoft notepad for our html and saved our document as a .html extension and the webpage came out pretty neat. if you need any html help let me know and i'll see what i might be able to do.

tm :laugh:

Gah!!!

That's your first mistake.

First off, do you know HTML code?

I know very little. So no, not yet. But the place I'm using, Fintigo.com, allows pagews to be designed in WYSWYG form.

There is more to setting up a website than knowing html. There is JAVA, SQL,PHP, Perl not to mention several other codes.

There is more to setting up a website than knowing html. There is JAVA, SQL,PHP, Perl not to mention several other codes.

I know. When I go to University in September I'll learn XML, HTML, PHP, JAVA and much more.

How it looks now

Cara, I was saying that to Manveru.

I know. When I go to University in September I'll learn XML, HTML, PHP, JAVA and much more.

How it looks now

The text is hard to read on the purple background. It needs more contrast.

Cara, I was saying that to Manveru.

How it looks now

The text is hard to read on the purple background. It needs more contrast.

Well how am I supposed to know?! :laugh: :lol: :) :) j/k

The black text on the purple background is an improvement. Much better.

Edited by Data

Getting better! Try bolding it, that'll make it even easier to read.

For and HTML tutorial (actually XHTML, but I'm not going to bog you down with that right now :laugh:) go here:

Getting Down With XHTML

If you pardon the cheesy name, it's actually a very good tutorial and it will give you a nice start into CSS as well (which is a must for web design!)

Edit: It's a very basic tutorial, but it explains things very well and it has several referance sites. As for the actual site, it's getting better, but my personal preferance is sites that are less busy and more streamlined. Try a solid and complimentary color and make the image the focus.

Edited by TrekkieMage

Very nice Capt. Picard! Very cleanly laid out and put together. My one critique would be that the font is very large to me, but that isn't really a bad thing. It's much better than the hundreds of sites of seen with font that is much too small to read :tear:

But yeah, It looks very professional :o