Sign in to follow this  
Matt

What You Leave Behind

I'm just after watching 'What you Leave Behind' again and I have to say that I think these two episodes are two of the best Star Trek episodes ever made and definately the best finale episodes. Asides from the storyline the direction and acting from all members was excellent. Everybody really stepped up and proved themselves in these episodes and should be proud of themselves.

These final two episodes are not only packed full of honour and courage, fantastic battle scenes and humour but they end up being quite moving as well. It's just a shame the other series couldn't match it.

Best finale?

Best DS9 episode?

Best finale for sure! (Though I haven't seen the TOS and ENT finales.)

I still prefer "Children of Time" as my favorite DS9 episode, but I'm a sucker for those time-elapsed episodes. "What You Leave Behind" is a very good episode, though.

"All Good Things" is a longtime favorite of mine, from when TNG was the only finale I'd seen. It's still a favorite overall. "Endgame" was a disappointment... It had its moments, but the ending was kind of a letdown, and it had zero closure. So many questions left unanswered. After "What You Leave Behind", I want nothing more to do with DS9 (other than to watch it all again when my girlfriend and I get done with TNG) but because it was so complete, from the start to the finish. (I almost cried when it was all over.)

Best finale for sure! (Though I haven't seen the TOS and ENT finales.)

TOS didn't have a finale, it was canceled after the third season was completed so they never wrapped it up like most series do now. The final TOS was "Turnabout Intruder", an episode where Cpt Kirk's "life-entity" is switched with a woman's and hers is switched with him. So she takes over his body in an attempt to become the Captain.

320x240.jpg

Very disappointing final episode for such a great series.

ENT's final episode, "These are the voyages..." was pretty cool, though it could be argued that it wasn't "real". It featured Riker and Troi. Pretty cool

240x320.jpg

320x240.jpg

this is one of the episodes of ds9 i haven't seen yet. i finally saw the one where jadzia dies. and this week i plan on catching this one on spike. i can't wait.

tm :bow:

DS9 was such a "serialized" show that the entire second half of season 7 was like one long finale for the series. Certainly the last six or so episodes were all tied together.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
It was an excellent finish to a stellar program ... loose ends tied up, storylines resolved (regardless of whether you liked how they were resolved or not! Kira/Odo anyone?). It was so good to see Worf joining his people at the end ... throughout TNG and DS9, Worf struggles to walk the line between the Federation and Klingon worlds. In "What You Leave Behind," he's got a family he belongs to (the House of Martok), he has a son also of that house serving in the Klingon military, he is the Federation Ambassador to the Klingon Empire and really, who better qualified for that position than Worf? Worf leaves behind his ambiguity and goes "home." (It's too bad Julian wiped Kurn's memories! Then Worf could have his brother back, too.)

Then you have Garak, who also gets to go home to Cardassia. A hero of the revolution. And he was RIGHT about his position toward Cardassia the entire series ... he must have felt so validated at the end, a bitter victory for him considering his home planet is in ruins. But at least he's back with his people.

Odo back in the soup I didn't like so much, but he too rejoined his people.

Sisko off in the Celestial Temple ... well, I hate it, but it really does make the most sense for his character.

I do wish the Bajor had joined the Federation during Season 7, but then again, why does every planet have to join the Federation? It's kind of cool that they stand alone at the end. Such a faith-based society would have a difficult time meshing with the secular Federation.

Obviously, DS9 was going to have the best finale because it was a show that really required one. They could have left Voyager in the Delta Quadrant (and probably should have .... what an obvious movie). They could have just stopped anywhere on TNG because it was so episodic in nature.

It's not the best DS9 episode, however, IMO. It's hard to pick one episode that outshines the others. They are just all part of the whole.

As I'm typing this, my eyes are starting to well-up over it all again! Maybe I'll rewatch that episode today while my son is at school.

This was definitely a great Series Finale. I have mixed feelings about how tightly it wrapped up the series. On one hand I thought it was a great episode and left us without alot of unanswered questions. On the other hand it did not leave much room for the possibility of the series being continued on the big screen.

This was definitely a great Series Finale. I have mixed feelings about how tightly it wrapped up the series. On one hand I thought it was a great episode and left us without alot of unanswered questions. On the other hand it did not leave much room for the possibility of the series being continued on the big screen.

I'm sure they knew early that there was a very slim chance of any DS9 movie. The TNG bunch was still making movies and I don't think Berman cared much for DS9, Ira Behr, Ron Moore or anyone else over there at DS9. All his attention seemed to be on Voyager and big-screen TNG.

And in that, my friends, I believe we were very lucky. If Paramount or Berman had been too interested in DS9 it would NEVER have been the show that it was. It's almost like Behr and Moore et al were working under the radar. And thank God they were.

On the other hand it did not leave much room for the possibility of the series being continued on the big screen

Sure it did. The first movie would naturally be about the return of Sisko, the return of Odo and to a lesser extent, the birth of Sisko's child. The rebuilding of Cardassia would probably be explored and perhaps even a petition for Cardassia to join the UFP. Lots of areas left for the big screen.

I think one of the reasons people rule out a DS9 movie is becuase they think that Sisko is gone for good. He did tell Cassidy that he would be back in "maybe a year, maybe yesterday".

i just saw it today. wow! that is one of the best if not the best finales of star trek ever. i actually shed a few tears. it was so powerful and full of emotion. the title defintely fit the mood of the episode. i am not going to tape over it. i am going to watch it again for sure. the way it ended wow!

tm

...I don't think Berman cared much for DS9, Ira Behr, Ron Moore or anyone else over there at DS9. All his attention seemed to be on Voyager and big-screen TNG.

And in that, my friends, I believe we were very lucky. If Paramount or Berman had been too interested in DS9 it would NEVER have been the show that it was. It's almost like Behr and Moore et al were working under the radar. And thank God they were.

I agree, they were left on their own to do pretty much what they wanted and in that we got a great series. One that many people believe was the best of any of the Trek series (Which I agree with).

On the other hand it did not leave much room for the possibility of the series being continued on the big screen

Sure it did. The first movie would naturally be about the return of Sisko, the return of Odo and to a lesser extent, the birth of Sisko's child. The rebuilding of Cardassia would probably be explored and perhaps even a petition for Cardassia to join the UFP. Lots of areas left for the big screen.

I agree here too, I think there is a lot of room for a movie but I say that as a devotee of DS9. I'm not holding my breath for a DS9 movie but I think it would be an awesome one and maybe the best Trek movie since ST II if they ever made it.

I can just see Odo shapeshifting his way across the big screen and a 20 foot tall wormhole opening up in front of us. They really do NEED to make a DS9 movie!

I love the final scenes with Kira joining Jake as they view the wormhole, the phenomenon that gave Bajor its strategic importance, but which for the pair is where those dear to them are.

Because of The Visitor, we know how intensely Jake feels the loss of his father. Because of the long relationship of Kira and Odo, first as friends and then as a couple, we know how Kira feels about Odo. I get a sense of melancholy, but also satisfaction at this ending.

I thought the ending to ds9 was great. Ended the story but left some things open.

Made me sad it was all over.

I'm actually part of an online series where we do a lot of stuff with this. It's been a lot of fun.

Anyway. I've always been partial to "All Good Things...". Sometime I need to see "What You Leave Behind" again. I was pretty young when I saw it the first time, so I might be better able to appreciate it now.

(Wow, it's been almost 7 years since DS9 ended :nono: )

i cry each time i watch the last episode...but there is a book that picks up from where Kira takes over DS9 and you'll see at least 1 character of TNG as a new DS9 character, and the same speices as the trill that tried TAKING OVER STARFLEET YEARS AGO....but like i said, pick up DS9 Unity and read it. it's great.

I guess I'm the only one who was a bit dissapointed with the DS9 finale then. It spent by faaar to much time on yet another big battle of the dominion war (Predictably looking exactly like the previous ones), which should ideally have been wrapped up two or three episodes earlier giving more time to deal with the real finale issues of Odo rejoining his people, and Sisko fulfilling his role as Emissary. Not to mention awarding a better conclusion to Dukat and Winn, two of the best long time villains. Somehting should also have been made of the pah wraiths. As it was all these things seemed mostly slapped on given a minimal time just to have them mentioned and out of the way and as a result it felt jerky and off pace.

It's shame because there was a lot of potential in the finale, and the acting as always was very good by everyone involved. I'm all for big star ship battles and grand special effects, but not when they get in the way of the core of a story arc, and that is what happened with the DS9 finale. They left too many thing unresolved until there was not enough time to finish them up properly. THey really should have finished the dominion war earlier. If that would not leave enought time they might also have considered skipping Exri Dax who with just one season to go was never going to have time to find her real place in the show, and indeed after a number of episodes ended up as little more than romantic interest for Worf, BAshir and Quark. Leaving her out of it would have freed up at least three more episodes to deal with more interesting issues.

That beeing said Season 7 was still a strong season in general with fine entries like Chimera (a tenner), It's only a paper moon, and Inter Arma Silent Leges. THere was a lot of talent involved in DS9 and they were not afraid to experiment. Sometimes it backfired on them like with the too ambitious dominion was arcs, but other time it resulted in some of the best Episodes ever made for Trek.

You are not the only disappointed with the series finale.

You are saying everything that I have said and felt over the past several years.

Ezri should never have been added to the cast. They wasted valuable time in Season 7 exploring this new character when they should have been spending that time resolving other characters storylines.

However, I do not agree with the statement regarding Dominion War arcs ... I loved the long, drawn-out arcs of this series whenever we got them. Behr and Moore just kept pushing that envelope and I enjoyed every minute of that aspect of the show.

I liked the DS9 Finale, I thought it was pretty durned good. You really got a sense of the cost of the war. You also saw that in the end, dispite two and a half years of bloody warfare, the Federation still respects the dignity of all people, regardless of the fact that these people spent the better part of the war fighting very hard against them. The scene where Sisko and Ross refuse to drink over the bodies of dead Cardassians showed what the Federation was all about. We may have conquered you, but we'll still show you the dignity you deserve. I have to wonder, though, what Garak's place in the new Cardassia would be. in the Sim I am in, we've shown Garak several times being the Leader of the new Cardassian Union. I was definately satisfied to an extent, but I still kinda want more.

Yes to both questions. The finale was everyting a fan could want- action,drama,heartbreak,and a conclusion to the Dominion War. I was just unhappy to see the show end. It could've gone on for at least another season.