Sign in to follow this  
Lubak10

Sybok

I don't really see Sybok as a villan. He's just a guy with an obsession. What do you guys think? I'm I right or do you think I'm being to easy on him?

I think of him along the same lines as Jim Jones or David Koresh or that other maniac whom led those people to suicide by convincing them heaven was waiting for them in the tail of the comet Hail Bopp (SP?), all they had to do is die. Sybok tried to differentiate himself from those kinds of kooks by being against death to achieve his goals but you will notice he failed there to.

Shatner does deserve more credit for this film than he got, thanks to the studio MAKING him do the film on a shoestring budget. They are now also denying him the right to re-release the film in a Directors Edition, what a shame.

Less of a villan and more of a mad man...

What no directors cut for ST:V? Does that mean that their not going to let Shatner re-cut it or does that mean that there isn't even going to be a special edition DVD.. Even though I think that V was the worst film I still think it deserves a 2-disc version.

That's good at least. It would have been cool if they had let him re-cut it though, maybe he could have made it better the second time around. I have to say that I'm surprised that Star Trek V had such a shoe string budget after the success of Voyage Home. The movie industry makes no sense to me at all... That's why I moved to Hollywood! :lol:

I disliked more in that movie than I liked. Some good trivia facts (but which ones to accept and which to discard) and some even better notes on the Kirk Spock McCoy relation but done very badly. There are whole groups of information in that movie that my mind's image of a trek world just refuses to subscribe to. Even the existance of Sybok in the first place. What a horrid disgrace Sarak would have. He of a long noble great house of accomplishments and respect to be tainted so with an emotion embracing Sybok? eeewwww He was an older brother? Spock had enough ridicule you would think if Sybok were so he would have had that to deal with too. Son of a different mother or not: I cant see Sarak having another son after Sybok or being unhappy in anyway with Spock who was not another @%*@ like Sybok.

Yes Sybok is a bad guy. However mad or misdirected, even if he had been right he totally went about breaking every rule with utter disregard. He only seemed OK with his attempts to "help" and when he allowed Kirk back his command. He needed him for that anyway. OK he didnt kill anybody but he didnt keep his followers clean, who knows what all they might have done....

OK he didnt kill anybody but he didnt keep his followers clean, who knows what all they might have done....

Oh but he did kill someone... remember the line during the battle in the city when Chekov was distracting him, "Do you realise what you've done?!... it wasn't bloodshed that I wanted!" He may not have pulled the triggers but it was his gun, he tried to bend the law and it snapped back right in his face.

I don't know that I'd consider the deaths that happened to be Syboks "fault", you could make a case that he was responsible much the same way Charles Manson was responsible for the murders in 1969 though.

All the great villans in history never realised that what they were doing was wrong. They had an agenda which they felt was jsut and they pursued it at all costs, thinking that their erceived 'eight' ending would justify it all When Hitlor, to use an obvious example, extterminated 6 million Jews, he felt that this wasn't wrong, in his own warped mind. He felt that he was creating a Utopian existence. What is right to one man can be worng to millions. It is our collective balanced judgment that it the 'right' coures of action in a lot of caese, following well tested and equitable ethics. However, at the end of the day, it is a metter of perspecive. To some, President Bush is a visionary and to others he a misguided invasionist, tramping into other countries where he is perceived as evil.

Sybox didnt kill anyone, he gave gifts and the stealing of the Enterprise was jsut a means to obtain his goal of finding the Heaven planet. He never meant to hurt anyone, and at the ned of the day he turns control of the ship back to Kirk and saves everyone's lives. So no, he wasnt a villan in my book. Just obsessed, crazed and tortured.

Sybok may or may not have been the villian. Not all religious zealots are bad. Can't think of any good ones right now, but still.

Sybok was no Villian the Being on the planet saying he was God was the Villian of ST:V Sybok was just misguided by the Visions he had.

Exactly. Sybok was simply misguided. He wasn't a villain and had none of the classic Trek villainous tendencies.

Strange I just watched this movie last night.

I suppose, like other folks comments here-Sybok had good intentions.

Vulcan already branded him a villian, so the guy probably had no chance with StarFleet giving him a 'govt. grant' to fund his search. Kirk is no stranger to Obsessive,compulsive behavior himself.

ST:V kind of reminded me of 'The Way to eden', with the hippies.

Shatner as director shows, the movie was full of comical releif, what with all the U.S.S.Enterprise malfunctions.

A bit over the top.

I never knew his daughter was in it until I read the credits. Nice touch.

As far as shoestring budget, it wasn't too bad effects wise.

My complaint is, it seems every strange planet is a desert. I also wondered if those 3 chars: Earth Rep, Romulan lady, and the old Klingon warrior were stationed on the 'Peace Planet' because they were 'washed up'

career wise?