Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

George Takei is Gay

George Takei Says He's Gay

Actor Is Best Known for Role of Mr. Sulu on Star Trek

Getty Images

George Takei said he was ashamed of his sexual orientation when he was younger.

· Talk About It: Post Thoughts 

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 27) - George Takei, best known for his role as Mr. Sulu in "Star Trek," came out as homosexual in the current issue of a magazine covering the Los Angeles gay and lesbian community.

Takei told The Associated Press on Thursday that his new onstage role as psychologist Martin Dysart in "Equus," helped inspire him to publicly discuss his sexuality.

Takei described the character as a "very contained but turbulently frustrated man." The play opened Wednesday at the David Henry Hwang Theater in Los Angeles, the same day that Frontiers magazine featured a story on Takei's coming out.

The current social and political climate also motivated Takei's disclosure, he said.

"The world has changed from when I was a young teen feeling ashamed for being gay," he said. "The issue of gay marriage is now a political issue. That would have been unthinkable when I was young."

The 68-year-old actor said he and his partner, Brad Altman, have been together for 18 years.

Takei, a Japanese-American who lived in a U.S. internment camp from age 4 to 8, said he grew up feeling ashamed of his ethnicity and sexuality. He likened prejudice against gays to racial segregation.

"It's against basic decency and what American values stand for," he said.

Takei joined the "Star Trek" cast in 1973 as Hikaru Sulu, a character he played for three seasons on television and in six subsequent films. He received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1986.

A community activist, Takei ran for the Los Angeles City Council in 1973. He serves on the advisory committee of the California Civil Liberties Public Education Program and is chairman of East West Players, the theater company producing "Equus."

10/27/05 21:57 EDT

Gee......I'm sure everyone is as shocked as I am...... B)

It was only the worst kept secret in Hollywood........

I didn't! Wow. Thats really cool. His boyfriend muxt be a lucky man... Sulu always demonstrated a certain dexterity on the bridge unlike any other hands... B)

I also had no idea but I gues it makes sense. No big deal, though. He's gay, who cares.

Wait a minute, who wrote this article? Takei joined the cast in 1973? Off by about 8 or 9 years. Heck, the only Trek on television at that time was the animated series.

I already knew.

360438[/snapback]

Well, OK, I had a feeling he was gay from the way he acted around the males.

I am a bit surprised. Not that it makes much of a difference. He's still Mr. Sulu to me, regardless of weather he preferes Checkov or Uhura in his bed.

I am a bit suprised.I still respect him as an actor and hope all is well with him

it actually was a shocker to me when I read this earlier today, but no big deal. The character Sulu isn't gay and we know that because he has a daughter on the movie Star Trek Generations

As I watched TOS in the 60's I thought either he or Sulu might be gay, but I first heard it was Takei in the early 80's. No big deal. I'm glad to hear he's in a long-term relationship, since they're so rare these days. B)

it actually was a shocker to me when I read this earlier today, but no big deal. The character Sulu isn't gay and we know that because he has a daughter on the movie Star Trek Generations

360484[/snapback]

But do we know that? Perhaps she was adopted (which is unlikely because she is of the same ethnicity as her father) or maybe they have new techniques that can create a test-tube baby from two samples from people of the same gender. Just speculation.

But lets consider what else we know about Sulu:

-from San Francisco

-enjoys gardening/botany

-enjoys fencing with no shirt on

-doesn't like being called "Tiny"

-we still have no idea how he borrowed that Huey in STIV

Okay, I apologize for dragging out stereotypes but all of that has been running through my head since I heard about Takei this morning. I'm also being selective since he also collected weapons and there is already a bunch of other stuff we know about him. I also apologize to anyone I offended. I will delete this post, if anyone has a problem with it.

Tell me those aren't eyes anyone, man or woman, wouldn't fall for...

Er...uh....no. Those eyes do nothing for me.........

It was disappointing to me to hear that Mr Takei chose to be gay.

360729[/snapback]

Interseting choice of words... "chose"...

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!

I was watching an interview last night from the third season of Voyager.

They had an Sulu on and he was talking about how he was the captain of an episode, the flash back one.

And he was saying how he really like Harry Kim's acting skills and really wanted to meet him, and that he was incredibly disapointed in that he never saw him.

Now I know why.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never knew, nor had any indications, but it does not come as a shock. I'm happy for him.

It really doesn't bother me at all, because he did a good job playing Sulu. I would have never guessed that he was gay, beause I don't think about it.

Good for him, no one should be made to feel ashamed or afraid to be true to themselves and to others about who they really are. I was surprised when I heard about this, but then I don't follow Hollywood news that much...

Obviously, this has no bearing on his character on TOS.

George is gay? Hmmm. Well I wonder how all the Christian Star Trek fans will react. I'm bisexual so of course I don't mind at all. I met him once at a convention and he was a nice guy...and funny.