Sign in to follow this  
APW

I may just be paranoid....

My computer has been behaving oddly.

Twice this past week it's told me that I don't have Macromedia Flash 8 installed, when in fact I do (I had to remove it and re-install it after each event).

Two to three times this week it's told me that Internet Explorer is not my default browser and asked me if I'd like to make it so. But it is my default browser, so I didn't reply to the query and just clicked the X to make the pop-up go away.

Tonight when I started-up my PC, my anti-virus was disabled. I didn't do that.

I re-enabled it.

I've run a ton of spysweeps with my Spysweeper program. All I ever catch are very low-threat tracking cookies. I've run multiple in-depth virsu scans with MacAfee AV, and it always come up clean. No infected files.

Does anyone here have any idea what may be happening with my PC?

I haven't a clue. B)

sounds like there's definitely something wrong with your computer! mine's acting up a little too... the handwriting function is MSN won't work for me, even though it worked a week or so ago. it wants me to install some program, and when i did, it still wouldn't work B)

as for what's wrong, sorry i can't help you. my instincts are that it's spyware - what else would disable your anti virus software?

Download Ad-Aware and SpyBote Search and destroy update themm then use them, there the best Spysweepers out there that are free (Just as good as the ones that cost money)

Both can be gotten from http://www.computeractive.co.uk/

Edit: put .com instead of .co.uk

Edited by Tal Shiar

Thanks for the tips.

I had a virtual tech from MacAfee scan my system and it found all kinds of problems, which are now (after chatting online with a real tech for almost 90-minutes..... B) ) resolved. B)

Problems with my privacy and antivirus programs anyway (components were missing).....

Everything still says there are no spies or virus' on my PC.

it was sooo freaky last night - i was sitting there checking my emails and my computer said to me "do it". then over the space of about 15 minutes it did it again twice. i ran out of my room and got my brother to turn off the computer B) could it be a trojan? i'm running trojan hunter right now.

it was sooo freaky last night - i was sitting there checking my emails and my computer said to me "do it". then over the space of about 15 minutes it did it again twice. i ran out of my room and got my brother to turn off the computer  B)  could it be a trojan? i'm running trojan hunter right now.

360514[/snapback]

Should have hung around and seen if it then said, "Do it 'til you're satisfied!!"

B)

i'm actually too afraid to turn on my speakers again in case it talks B) i've run a full system scan with about 5 different programs and it came up with nothing. does anybody have any ideas?

i'm actually too afraid to turn on my speakers again in case it talks  B)  i've run a full system scan with about 5 different programs and it came up with nothing. does anybody have any ideas?

360612[/snapback]

System restore, perhaps?

B) It's Satan tempting you Cassidy!

360676[/snapback]

:fear: B) B) :devil2: B) :helpsmilie:

360676[/snapback]

B) OH! That's mean AE B)

Folks always do a weekly update and scan with virus software and spyware......... B)

360676[/snapback]

B)

thankfully it hasn't talked again. i'm still kinda scared though. my computer's right next to my bed, so what happens if it talks at night???? B)

360676[/snapback]

B)

thankfully it hasn't talked again. i'm still kinda scared though. my computer's right next to my bed, so what happens if it talks at night???? B)

360718[/snapback]

I recommend you do one of the following:

1. Say, "Talk talk talk. That's all you wanna do. What's a girl gotta do to get some ACTION from you?"

2. Tape record what it says and save the tape to use as blackmail evidence later on.

3. Squeeze and hold it closer. That usually get most talkers to stop.

4. Just remind yourself that at least it doesn't snore.

5. Be an attentive listener. Obviously, your computer has issues that it needs to get off it's CPU. Be supportive, and it won't forget your kindness.

6. Turn on your TV so it can at least have some company.

7. Flash it. It'll be too awestruck to speak afterwards.

8. Dump that zero and get you a hero! *snap snap*

Seriously though, was it a pop-up ad that included audio, or did you go to a website that interjects audio? It could just be something as innocent as that.

360676[/snapback]

B)

360718[/snapback]

I recommend you do one of the following:

1. Say, "Talk talk talk. That's all you wanna do. What's a girl gotta do to get some ACTION from you?"

2. Tape record what it says and save the tape to use as blackmail evidence later on.

3. Squeeze and hold it closer. That usually get most talkers to stop.

4. Just remind yourself that at least it doesn't snore.

5. Be an attentive listener. Obviously, your computer has issues that it needs to get off it's CPU. Be supportive, and it won't forget your kindness.

6. Turn on your TV so it can at least have some company.

7. Flash it. It'll be too awestruck to speak afterwards.

8. Dump that zero and get you a hero! *snap snap*

Seriously though, was it a pop-up ad that included audio, or did you go to a website that interjects audio? It could just be something as innocent as that.

360725[/snapback]

lmao! B) i *might* have found the problem - i updated my spyware program and rescanned the computer and it found something. not sure exactly what though because my dad came in and turned it off while i was out B) s'pose i'll never know.

i was only checking my email and i had stf.net going in the background at the time.

Well, since I installed a new security program (I now have like 4 running at the same time, each protecting a different area of my PC), everything has been fine again.

I'm sure I had someone meddling around with my PC. Hackerwatch did a trace for me, concerning the disabling of my anti-virus. It traced back to Texas.... B) somewhere around Dallas.

I don't know anybody in Texas.