Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

How do you treat a bad cough

Just wondering, I got one its mostly in my Chest, i want to avoid the Doctor at all costs, any home cures you guys know?

Hot showers to make a lot of steam to help clear you out. I also drink hot tea with a cough drop in my mouth, it tastes great, plus the tea melts the cough drop faster and helps it coat your throat.

I know, but it may make you puke.

Gargle salt and water in your muth for 30 seconds, rinse around and spit. Then drink lots and lots of water constantly. That's what my doctor told me, I still have a bit on tonsilitus

Just lots of orange juice. I haven't been or needed to go to the doctor in years.

If you have anyone that can go to bath and body works near you, get a eucolyptis oil that you can put in your bath, the fumes are very healing.

Add honey to your tea, as it's a natural "coat" for you.

Coughing is good to get out the phlegm.

When you sleep, sleep on an angle. Use a humidifier in the room to make it nice and moist.

Steam bath/shower is a good idea, as well as the hot tea with honey (which is easy for me to say, because that is usually how I drink it anyways.. LOL).

Cough or throat drops help, but try to space out the time you use them.

THe gargling with salt water is used for Strep throat and toncilitis (neither of which are nice to deal with at all.. used to get both a lot when I was a kid). However, it is actually pretty good for any throat irritation. If you can relieve your throat a bit, it may make it easier to get whatever is in your chest out.

Also, try finding a over the counter (either natural or medical whichever you prefer) sinus/chest syrup or pill. If you can get rid of the drainage then that will help with the coughing.

I avoid NyQuil or the likes as much as possible because of the alcohol in it. First off, the alcohol makes me sick and gives me a headache. And secondly, the alcohol is merely masking the problem instead of helping it.

I have a long history of being susceptible to cough.

1. Yillara is correct sinus drainage is an issue - I take an antihistamine the first time I notice a runny nose or I will develop a bad cough. (obviously read warnings, drug interactions etc). This is the thing that works best for me.

2. Hot steamy showers offer relief.

3. I don't advise orange juice which can cause phlegm; but drink lots of water & warm not hot liquids.

4. I hate cough drops but use hard candies instead

5. The vapor rub is good.

6. If you've already made it to the coughing up your intestines stage then the antihistamine might be a little late. Lots of steamy showers; however, the pharmacist recommended cool air humidifiers rather than steam humidifiers.

7. I have actually reached the point where I would sleep on my stomach with my head lower than my chest to avoid the drip that causes the cough. B)

Warm Milk with Honey -and drink plenty of Orange Juice/apple Juice and get lots of rest and also take Neocitran for the cold cough and some form of cough candy drops to chew on.

Actually any warm liquid will do. I drink coffee instead of tea. The caffeine in the coffee will help loosen the phlegm and make cough more productive. Also cold medicines work great, but follow the directions.

I always thaought that was for Strep throat

360463[/snapback]

Hhhmm B) well that is what I've been told about my cough. *Shrugs*