Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VaBeachGuy

Outside your window...

I was just starting the grill to cook some hotdogs and cheeseburgers and noticed that the Navy was flying so I snapped a couple of pics and thought I'd share them.They do this all the time and I hardly ever notice unless I'm outside, there's an airstrip about a mile down the road that they use to practise their carrier landings on so they fly back and forth for hours doing "touch and go's".You can see in this one that it's a single F-18:

F-18-2%20copy.jpg

This one must be a trainer (2 seats) unless there's F-18's with 2 seats that I wasn't aware of.

F-18.jpg

This pic wasn't taken outside my home but it was outside my window... my car window anyway. I took this last week on my way to Maryland as I was crossing over the Monitor-Marrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel. I'm not sure if the carrier was on it's way in or out. It's just a shame that I chose to go over the MMBT rather then going to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, I'd have been able to see the crew on the deck then.

Carrier.jpg

My whole county is just one big navy base. After a few years you really don't notice the ships.

I've been here for 15 years, I still notice them but only because I love the military (Go Army!) I hardly notice the planes flying though, they make A LOT of noise (I'm in the 75 and greater DB range for the airstrip) but I only notice if the windows are open or if I'm outside.

Wow. very cool pictures VaBeachGuy. Thanks for sharing them.

Reminds me of my time living on base at NAS Miramar. Yet actually during the 20+ years I've lived in Chicago I have always lived along or near one flight path or another for O'Hare International Airport. Was walking home tonight after dusk and could see lights of four planes in the same flight path coming in to land. You do get used to them, though on ocassion these can be quite loud with windows open or if you are outside.

Yeah you do get used to it for sure. Before I lived here I was in the Army and was always around their helicoptors and before that I lived in Maryland and was in the flight path of Airforce One, so I've always been in some kind of flight path.

Thinking about it I've had Presidents Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and Bush the first fly over my home while I was in it (I'm just assuming Bush the first did at some point while I was on leave at some point).

VBG, According to the resident Naval Officer, and his brother, the Pilot Wanna be, that 2-seater was an F/A-18 Foxtrot. It's the two seat version of the Echo model, Appearently it does alot of Electrontic Warfare stuff, and can also (and this is really cool, I think) refuel other fighters! Both the F/A-18 and F-16 have variants for 1 and 2 seaters. The F-15 does, but those are normally the Stike Eagles, the newer models. Apperantly, with the F-16s and F-18s, A, C, and E models are the 1 seaters, and B, D, and F are the 2 seaters.

VBG, According to the resident Naval Officer, and his brother, the Pilot Wanna be, that 2-seater was an F/A-18 Foxtrot. It's the two seat version of the Echo model, Appearently it does alot of Electrontic Warfare stuff, and can also (and this is really cool, I think) refuel other fighters! Both the F/A-18 and F-16 have variants for 1 and 2 seaters. The F-15 does, but those are normally the Stike Eagles, the newer models. Apperantly, with the F-16s and F-18s, A, C, and E models are the 1 seaters, and B, D, and F are the 2 seaters.

358621[/snapback]

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the 2 seaters so I just assumed it was a trainer but knew I could be wrong on that.

Those F-18's cause quite a stir around here, the neighborhoods around me are suing the Navy over noise pollution, I think it's stupid to sue them though. What happens if they close NAS Oceana? The neighboring cities take a BIG hit in the wallet.

I can live with the noise.

Seeing fighters in real life is an experience you will never forget!

Just sneek into your local Military Air Strip....

And try and not get shot.

:P

the RCAF uses the same planes, LOTB. the CF-18. I've lived within 20 miles of a major Military Base my entire life, being in Lake County, Illinois, the last remaining US Naval Training Center is quite litterally just down the road about 20 miles (Take Sheridan Road South from Zion to North Chicago, you won't be able to miss it).

the RCAF uses the same planes, LOTB. the CF-18. I've lived within 20 miles of a major Military Base my entire life, being in Lake County, Illinois, the last remaining US Naval Training Center is quite litterally just down the road about 20 miles (Take Sheridan Road South from Zion to North Chicago, you won't be able to miss it).

358808[/snapback]

It's not a matter of the same planes or not. It's a matter of distance. We just don't have that many military bases.

basesmap2.gif

That's a map, I found of Canadian military bases, not sure if its up to date but according to the wikipedia there are 32 bases in Canada for all branchs of service (no Marines) combined. The closest to LOTB is in Cold Lake, Alberta which is basically all the way across Alberta, quite a drive. The closest to me is probably a couple of hours away.

It's not a matter of the same planes or not. It's a matter of distance. We just don't have that many military bases.

basesmap2.gif

That's a map, I found of Canadian military bases, not sure if its up to date but according to the wikipedia there are 32 bases in Canada for all branchs of service (no Marines) combined. The closest to LOTB is in Cold Lake, Alberta which is basically all the way across Alberta, quite a drive. The closest to me is probably a couple of hours away.

Wow the west coast is left wide open for an invasion

Who wants to invade canada? We don't got anything that people want B)

358907[/snapback]

You guys have better herbs than what we get from Mexico. :lol:

I figured I'd upload all of the pics I took that day as wells a a short (low quality) video of a few of them since I started this thread. The video, if anyone watches it is low quality because it was taken with my digital camera as opposed to an actual video camera.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

F-18 flyovers

Something else was in the sky, above and to the right.

003.JPG

Do you remember seeing that when you took the pic? Was anything odd about the way the aircraft you were shooting were acting?

Looks like a B2 or, something, perhaps one of these...

ufo0218d.jpg

basesmap2.gif

Wow the west coast is left wide open for an invasion

That's why the US Military has several bases in the Seattle Area, to keep Canada's west coast safe...

Who wants to invade canada? We don't got anything that people want :lol:

I won't argue...

Something else was in the sky, above and to the right.

Click For Spoiler

Do you remember seeing that when you took the pic? Was anything odd about the way the aircraft you were shooting were acting?

359067[/snapback]

Yeah, that was a bird

I figured I'd upload all of the pics I took that day as wells a a short (low quality) video of a few of them since I started this thread. The video, if anyone watches it is low quality because it was taken with my digital camera as opposed to an actual video camera.

Click For Spoiler
001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

F-18 flyovers

359004[/snapback]

B) :lol: Sure it wasn't VBG?

I had to go to the post office the last 2 days and decided to take some pics with my phone while I was out so these are them.

As some of you may have heard on the news there was a bad tornado in Suffolk, Va yesterday which is part of Hampton Roads (my community). It's about 45 minutes away from me but these first few pics were taken at about the time the tornado was hitting (I didn't know it at the time).

Click for Spoiler:

009.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

These next several pics were all taken this afternoon.

Leaving Chesapeake:

Click for Spoiler:

017.jpg

Entering Virginia Beach:

Click for Spoiler:

018.jpg

A small "Mom and Pop's" BBQ restaurant about 5 minutes from my house.

Click for Spoiler:

019.jpg

Driving up to the post office (about 10 minutes from my home)

Click for Spoiler:

020.jpg

021.jpg

The Virginia Beach courthouse (where one of the DC Sniper trials was held):

Click for Spoiler:

022.jpg

Lunch time, I'll have a #3 please...

Click for Spoiler:

023.jpg

024.jpg

A little bit more of Virginia Beach farmland

Click for Spoiler:

029.jpg

"Mom and Pop's" again from the other direction.

030.jpg

Back into Chesapeake headed for home.

Click for Spoiler:

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

I found this on YouTube and thought it was cool. It's real close to where I live, in fact this air field is where all those F-18's are going when they fly over my house.

With fires in North Carolina and at the Great Dismal Swamp and the wind blowing this way we're getting a lot of smoke which makes it hard to breathe outside right now. I was out there for less than a minute taking these pics and video and my eyes and throat were already burning.

Picture_025.jpg

Picture_028.jpg

That is bad babe, stay inside. I love seeing pics of your neighborhood though, such a pretty area.