Sign in to follow this  
MANVERU

Should it have happened?

Should he have died?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should he have died?

• Yeah, he was getting a bit old, and boring.
    • Yeah, I guess
    • Meh, either way is fine for me
    • No way man!
    • I drop to my knees every time I see his departure. I loved Data!!!

Click For Spoiler
tell that to Trip :lol: not to mention all of the times Brent Spiner was asked if he was dead and every time he said that Data was dead
Edited by Gamera

I know death comes sometimes, but not to Data! I cry each time I watch the end of Nemesis movie. But, I know he died like a hero protecting his fellow officers.

*takes out a butcher knife*

*attempts to hunt down "sikkbones"*

*takes out sniper rifle... clips him in the head.. bang yer dead...*

data being gone is an excellent coda to the TNG series.. data was my favorite character but w/o his search for humanity that was a main plot of TNG the series is officially dead the way it should be.

In the end, the writers created a hackneyed solution to the death. While Spock's death was reversed by the whole Genesis device which was a major plot in the film, so too could Data's death have been reversed by the convenient inclusion of his prototype double, B4, who ended up with all of Data's memory, essentially making him a reincarnation of Data.

Nemesis was such a blatant take on TWOK -- Spock transfering his soul into McCoy/Data transfering his memory into B4. Both characters sacrificing themselves for their ships and crew, but both with the possibility of coming back from death.

Had the movie series continued, B4 could and probably would have quickly evolved into a new Data, but left wtih a few gaps in his memory, like Spock was in Star Trek IV.

All in all, Data's death was too contrived and only served to underscore his existence in New Generation as the "Spock" character for the new series -- including his eventual death. In the end, they could have done something more original instead of simply adhering to the Spock parallel all the way through to his death.

I am just wondering... why didn't Data transfer his personality matrix (or whatever its equivalent might be) to the Enterprise computer.

I am just wondering... why didn't Data transfer his personality matrix (or whatever its equivalent might be) to the Enterprise computer.

Probably because he was on a Romulan ship at the time and couldn't access the Enterprise computer.

Because they tried that in A Fistfull of Datas and it didn't work out too well.

Because they tried that in A Fistfull of Datas and it didn't work out too well.

*gets bad memory of seeing Data in drag at the end of that episode and starts shaking my head and praying nobody posts that pic again*

And we do not want to have THAT happen again :laugh:

Edited by Yillara_Skye

Takara probably still has that picture. :VBGal:

You are probably correct, Data.

*shudder* oh, please Takara please do not post that pic. :laugh:

Data is my most fav character so at the time I was bugged when he died. But I have to admit those who have made the arguments about Brent Spiner aging and about how the interest and the appeal of the character had pretty much been gone ever since he gained the emotion chip are quite strong arguments.

In fact I would say it was the emotion chip more than anything killed of the Data character!

I mean for me its hard to have seen where and how they could have taken the Data character foward. I mean if they introduced new things for Data to struggle then in my opinion it wouldnt work. The data I grew up following was a character trying to become more human, so trying to introduce new things would just essentially wipe the slate clean and we would essentially have a completely new character to deal with.

At the end of the day it probably was the sensible thing to do and as much as I love data I aint upset over it since I can easily put on a TNG DVD and see Data in all his glory. So as far as I'm concerend he aint dead to me

Data shouldn't die!

I mean, all must die , but normally they die when they are almost 90 years old or more...

I don't accept that Brent is alive and Data not!

I have sent a comment on this horrible end in his blog, which he has created only a few days ago...

and he didn't answer to me!

sob!

Data shouldn't die!

I mean, all must die , but normally they die when they are almost 90 years old or more...

I don't accept that Brent is alive and Data not!

I have sent a comment on this horrible end in his blog, which he has created only a few days ago...

and he didn't answer to me!

sob!

Why do you think that Data is dead? This is Sci-fi and we never saw a body. I believe that Data's disembodied head is still floating around space just waiting to be attached to B4's body..... <_<

it was because picard was originally supposed to die and they changed the script due to several conflicts...but thats one of 16 of my conspiracy theories on to why data died and nemesis sucked so badly

Yes. Imo he should have died and rightfully so he did :P . His death gave his character a gentle nobility that was not seen in the other TNG crewmembers...... and at least he had something Picard always lacked.... courage. :P

Yes. Imo he should have died and rightfully so he did :P . His death gave his character a gentle nobility that was not seen in the other TNG crewmembers...... and at least he had something Picard always lacked.... courage. :o

Wait just a minute ... you say Picard had no courage?!? :P He went back to save Data when he could have left him to be destroyed along with the Enterprise and the Borg Queen. He struggled while still connected with the collective and was able to give the answer that helped allow Enterprise to destroy the Bog cube ... sleep.

Picard as portrayed by Patrick Stewart has tons of nobility and courage, and you can't flip the off switch on him either ...

I don't think Data should have died. It was a pointless death, I mean, why didn't they use the shuttlecraft transporters? Why didn't they create two of those little transporter devices instead of one? Why didn't Jean-Luc just set his phaser on overload and then beam back aboard the Enterprise? Or much simpler, why didn't they just beam such a phaser set on overload aboard the Scimitar, right next to that green whateveritisIforgotthename?

There are so many possibilities which could have saved Data, and yet... this is what I mean when I say it was a pointless death. In TWOK, Spock died because he was the only one who could do the job - Data died just because it was convenient for the writers to let him die. :P

I know, he did it in order to save Jean-Luc, and I am more than just grateful, I don't know what I would have done if they had killed Jean-Luc, but still, it's just... wrong that Data died. :o

A-freakin'-men! :P They couldn't have just killed someone else? I noticed that Wesley was back in uniform....

Edited by SeeingEyeBorg

I think Data should have died somewhere in the series or at least been transferred. The character started out being enjoyable but eventually became as annoying as another character that should have died and not just sent to Starfleet Academy....... Wesley Crusher.

They couldn't have just killed someone else? I noticed that Wesley was back in uniform....

:P You know, it would actually have made me enjoy "Nemesis" if they had killed Wesley. :P