Sign in to follow this  
MANVERU

Should it have happened?

Should he have died?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should he have died?

• Yeah, he was getting a bit old, and boring.
    • Yeah, I guess
    • Meh, either way is fine for me
    • No way man!
    • I drop to my knees every time I see his departure. I loved Data!!!

Data went from not being able to whistle in Encounter at Farpoint to being able to laugh in All Good Things... (albeit in an "alternate" future) to being granted sentient rights by Starfleet in Measure of a Man creating Lal to having a brother of sorts in Lore to not only having emotions in Generations but having a mastery of them (eventually) to swearing to actually have human skin in First Contact to defying Starfleet in Insurrection.

If he had lived, what else could the character have really done? Be given a permenant command, that's about it. Maybe it could have been worked in somehow where in Picard's battle with Shinzon we see another ship swoop in with Captain Data, but then they would have had to explain how he passed up Riker. Plotwise it wasn't fesible.

I drop to my knees every time I see his departure. I loved Data!!!

Picard should have died instead! (sorry Mrs. Picard :lol:)

I ahree with Lt. Van Roy.

The Data character had pretty much been played out of storylines.

That, and Brent Spiner didn't want to keep playing the part anyway.

^ that's true in the movie world, but Tasha Yar is dead. But then there's Kirk, he's official dead as well, except for the excellent novels by Shatner. :inlove:

I'd say that if anyone had to die, it was better if it was Data. The Enterprise needs her captain and Riker was moving to the Titan (another great book series :lol: :P ) so no one else better than Picard to remain captain

*THWACK* @ sea trooper :lol: :P (j/k :inlove: )

I don't think Data should have died. It was a pointless death, I mean, why didn't they use the shuttlecraft transporters? Why didn't they create two of those little transporter devices instead of one? Why didn't Jean-Luc just set his phaser on overload and then beam back aboard the Enterprise? Or much simpler, why didn't they just beam such a phaser set on overload aboard the Scimitar, right next to that green whateveritisIforgotthename?

There are so many possibilities which could have saved Data, and yet... this is what I mean when I say it was a pointless death. In TWOK, Spock died because he was the only one who could do the job - Data died just because it was convenient for the writers to let him die. :P

I know, he did it in order to save Jean-Luc, and I am more than just grateful, I don't know what I would have done if they had killed Jean-Luc, but still, it's just... wrong that Data died. :P

No way man! Next to Picard he's my fav TNG character..I'm still upset that TNG went out that way..There were other better ways for them to go out..It's bad enough that Data died but afterwards I wasn't impressed with the memorial they had for him..Pitiful.. :inlove:

No way! There were other ways to take Data out of the "regular series" of movies, like a transfer to another branch of Starfleet. Although it made for some very moving drama, I'm not happy with it.

I also didn't care for the memorial at first (but like the way it started), but then I thought "maybe that's how it's done then". :inlove: Still a letdown.

It really didn't matter for a number of reasons:

1- The character would never have appeared again anyway, since it was going to be the last TNG movie.

2- The character had gone as far as it could. The "Pinnochio" schtick had run its course.

3- The movie was so poor, the death lost any meaning anyway.

If he had lived, what else could the character have really done?  Be given a permenant command, that's about it.  Maybe it could have been worked in somehow where in Picard's battle with Shinzon we see another ship swoop in with Captain Data, but then they would have had to explain how he passed up Riker.  Plotwise it wasn't fesible.

353639[/snapback]

Riker had passed himself up many times in getting command of a starship. It's feasible Data would have the qualifications of command and taken a ship if offered. I remember in Parallels where one of the Worf's had become first oficer instead of Data. What combinations led up to that is unclear, however, there are many things that could have occurred that would lead to Data becoming a Captain. Actually, this is one of the best ideas I've heard for an alternate scene.

Data was one of my favorite characters and I'm really sorry the script called for what it did. I really wish it could have been different.

^ that's true in the movie world, but Tasha Yar is dead.

353676[/snapback]

But even Tasha Yar came back (Yesterday's Enterprise).

Until I see a body, he ain't dead. :inlove: Excuse me but I must return to my fantasy world now. :lol:

Until I see a body, he ain't dead

I agree. I believe that Data''s disembodied head is still floating around somewhere just waiting to be attached to B4's body.

I still cry every time I see Data get blown away.

Was it a good idea?

I don't think so.

I hated the idea

353625[/snapback]

I really don't mind anyone getting killed if it serves the story. The problem is that Data's death invites obvious comparisons to Spock in Star Trek II, and clearly the way Data's death was handled didn't really work in my opinion.

once again I agree, the look Picard had when he saw that B4 knew the song Blue Skies was incredible.

It was the face of knowing things weren't as bad as he thought since at least the memory of Data is still alive and some piece remains. Excellent scene

Edited by Gamera

I wonder if B4's copacity could ever match data's?

I do know that all of Data'a memories and stuff are on file on the Enterprise-E.

Maybe they could hook it up to a computer, and run Data from there!!!!

You forgot an option:  "This is Trek - if Spock wasn't dead, neither is Data"

That's how I would vote. :(

353653[/snapback]

I agree with this option, and would have definately voted it.

Now that it has been almost three years since Nemesis, I voted "No way man!".

However......

Though I do not hysterically cry when watching that scene in the film anymore(it took me almost half an hour to regain my composure after watching the film in the theater. And since I had a long drive home, I did not want to be driving while violently upset and rather late at night as well).. I still tear up pretty bad, and sometimes still break out crying. He was and always will be my favorite Trek character of all time. He was the one I could relate to the most.

Until I see a body, he ain't dead

I agree. I believe that Data''s disembodied head is still floating around somewhere just waiting to be attached to B4's body.

353860[/snapback]

I like that idea although I can't imagine Spiner playing Data again. Spiner looks old now compared to the E @ Fpoint. If Trek were to have Data again in another series or movie, I think a new "head" would be better. I'm sure they could come up with an excellent excuse to have a new actor play Data.

Yeah, I see your point.

I don't think it would be too hard to mimic data.

Just apply the same old gold face paint, contact lenses.

And bob's your uncle!!!!

Sigh.

Death has to occur some time to some characters. It would be realistic not to. And who better to kill off than Data, especially after he downloaded his neurall net into a carbon copy

Click For Spoiler
(who started to sing Data's song at the very end - HINT HINT).
Fo those reasons, the material of Data was blown up, for me. And the actual Data was copied and reproduced.

And besides...

NO ONE DIES IN STAR TREK!!!!!