Sign in to follow this  
NordicBearskin

What's the BEST Star Trek book you have ever read?

I am looking to start reading Star Trek books. B) However, I don't know my metaphorical Sovereign class books from my Nova class books. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good (Sovereign, for those who didn't know) book? Thanks. :wacko:

I am looking to start reading Star Trek books.  :) However, I don't know my metaphorical Sovereign class books from my Nova class books. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good (Sovereign, for those who didn't know) book? Thanks.  :)

Not sure just exactly what your asking about but if your into DS9 i enjoyed "The 34th Rule".

If you're into long reads check out the Eugenic Wars part 1 and part 2, I couldn't put those down. If you're looking for something faster and with a heck of a lot of cross overs check out the two part Brave and the Bold. My personal favorite of all time right now is "In the Name of Honor." Which takes place some time between Star Trek V and Star Trek VI. It's a good read and some old faces are in this one (Korax and Koloth.)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll search 'em on Amazon...

A round of applause please Ladies and Gentlemen for Alterego. Seeing my distress over a 'Boking' accident, this stirling paladin rushed to my rescue and changed a severly embarassing 'Bok' to a wise, sophisticated 'Book' in the title.

Hip hip :grin:

Hip hip :grin:

Hip hip :biggrin:

i think you might like the series of "double helix" check out the "new frontier" series also :P

Me, I really like the novels to the TNG movies, also:Immortal Coil and Metamorphosis(Good books if you are a TNG and Data fan). I also really liked the novelization of Descent.

:unsure: If you're a Garak fan then you should get Deep Space Nine: A Stich in Time. It's about Garak's life before, during and after he was on DS9. I LOVED it! ;)

Some of my very favorites are older TOS books: My Enemy, My Ally by Diane Duane (and its sequel, The Romulan Way, but ME,MA is better, IMO), Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan, and How Much For Just the Planet by John Ford. I'm also a fan of Peter David's writing style. His Q-In-Law and Imzadi were great. :unsure:

You're welcome Sasooni! :dude:

cyphrx Posted on Jul 8 2003, 12:48 PM If you're into long reads check out the Eugenic Wars part 1 and part 2, I couldn't put those down.

Agreed!

Sasooni, if you like novels with little homage's to TOS try The Eugenics Wars by Greg Cox (I know I know, here I go again!) Here's a quick tidbit; Roberta from TOS episode Assignment Earth is working a mission with Gary 7 undercover at a bookstore, a couple of Khan's thugs enter and start a fight, Roberta...

Click for Spoiler:

... pick's up a book to throw at one of them but not just any book, it's, "The Book": Mobsters of the Twentieth Century from TOS episode A Piece of the Action.

:bow:

I can't call this book the best I've ever read (I can't possible pick a best when it comes to the Trek novels),but the TOS novel "Enterprise" was a really fun read.Obviously,the way the major TOS characters meet each other for the first times and the ship's first mission probably didn't happen the way the book presents the history(in light of facts we've been given since the book was first published).But I liked it a lot.

uh, the best star trek book ever? the TOS novel "first frontier", i can't tell you how often i've read this book... ooops, the pages are falling out! i am very interested in paleaontology and to see my favorite crew on earth with dinos is really fun! ---------------> recommendation! B)

I've got a a couple to add here,

Their both from the Lost Era series the first one is:

Star Trek: The Sundered.

It's about Captain Sulu and the Starship Excelsior. The plot has a lot of great TOS allusions and the over all story is very exciting. The book also involves the Tholians and gives us an interesting glimpse of their race.

The next one, although just I'm halfway through it, is Star Trek: Serpents Among The Ruins. It involves the Enterprise-B commanded by Captain Harriman. This is a very entertaining book! The story is about the Tomed Incident, which was mention on TNG tv show (I forgot the episode name...i think it was a first season ep.) The character development in this story is superb.

All in all I'm enjoying the Lost Era books, and plan on checking out the rest of the series as they come out.

My all time favorite Star Trek book is "Crossover" by Michael Jan Friedman, Its a TNG story with some TOS crew involved. Its about a rescue mission to save Ambassador Spock who is being held captive by the Romulins. Captain Picard is sent to the edge of the neutral zone with Admiral McCoy and Scotty,after hearing of Spock's capture steals an old Constitution Class starship (Which was an orbiting museum) and goes to join the rescue. Its a great book that I've read a couple of times now. I highly recommend it.

DARK PASSIONS, BOOK ONE

DARK PASSIONS, BOOK TWO

BY SUSAN WRIGHT

ST: DS9 "AVATAR BOOKS ONE AND TWO"BY S.D. PERRY

ST: TNG "DARK MIRROR" BY DIANE DUANE

IMZADI BY PETER DAVID

ST:DS9 "WARCHILD" BY ESTHER FRIESNER

ST:DS9 "ANTIMATTER" BY JOHN VORNHOLT

ST:VOY DARK MATTERS BY CHRISTIE GOLDEN

1.CLOAK AND DAGGER #19

2.GHOST DANCE #20

3.SHADOW OF HEAVEN #21

HERE ARE A FEW BOOKS TO START WITH.

This isn't the best book I've read, but I just finished "The Lost Era 2328-2346 The Art of the Impossible" and it was pretty good. Lots of back story about Curzon Dax, Troi's father and Worf.

Start out with some of the Original Star Trek books like Sarek for example.

Then read some from all the spin offs of the TOS.

1)Q-In-Law STAR TREK:TNG

2)Warchild STAR TREK:DS9

3)Pathways STAR TREK :VOY

4)Broken Bow STAR TREK:ENT

There are many more good STAR TREK books out there but these are my favs.

I HAVE READ ABOUT 250 STAR TREK BOOKS, AND FOR SOMEBODY STARTING TO READ STAR TREK BOOKS I WOULD recommend YOU READ THE WILLIAM SHATNER NOVELS, THE FIRST FEW BOOKS HE WROTE WHERE GOOD, THERE NOT THE BEST BUT AS THEY GO ON AND ON THEY BECOME REALLY GOOD. HIS LAST 5 NOVELS HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC. NOW I AM WAITING ON TENDER HOOKS FOR HIS NEXT BOOK, BUT THAT WON'T BE FOR A YEAR NOW (DAMN) :)

I have also read a lot of the books...I started after TNG was over...there are alot of great TNG books but my suggestion to you is Imazdi I & II. and for VOY my fav is Pathways written by Jeri Taylor ...she was a consultant for the show and a great writer. Enjoy! :)

Star Trek: Federation was pretty good. Also, I would recommend Starfleet Year One. I was actually able to find a compilation of the whole twelve chapters too.

I always liked the William Shatner books ..Like Avenger and The Return

They were pretty good

And that one written by the co-creator of Voyager about the Voyager crew(don't remember the name)

I am looking to start reading Star Trek books.  :P However, I don't know my metaphorical Sovereign class books from my Nova class books. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good (Sovereign, for those who didn't know) book? Thanks.  ;)

I just bought The Lives of Dax a few weeks ago but I haven't read it yet. I wonder if anyone on here has read that book??

Madam Captain out!!