Sign in to follow this  
NordicBearskin

Missed oppurtunity

DS9 writers missed an incredible oppurtunity, probaly the biggest ever on a Star Trek. Instead of using this plot for the whole plot of DS9, they used the Dominion war. Don't get me wrong, I loved the war. However I think that they made a big mistake in using it...

Instead of the Dominion having centre stage in the plot, it should have had the alternate universe that was shown in season 2 in The crossover. In that show a fault in a runabout whilest entering the wormhole somehow leads Kira and Bashir to some kind of altrnate universe. There, the Klingons and the Cardassians have allied, the Federation have been destroyed with the Humans subjugated and Bajor is still under occupation. Whilest there we meet several 'alternate' characters such as Sisko who is a Pirate Captain in league with the Klingons and Cardassians and Kira, who is leader of Bajor ad also in league with the oppressors. To cut a long story short, Kira and Bashir escape but lead the Klingon and Cardassians to the wormhole, which they had not known existed and Sisko decides to lead the enslaved humans into rebelling against the Klingons and Cardassians. Before this however, we hear their Kira talk of somehow entering the 'real' universe by force...

This is a fantastic episode and sets up many questions. Is the Human emancipation succesful? Do the Cardassians and Klingons really want to invade the 'real' universe? And so forth. But then, nothing! A poor episode about them trying to steal an orb 4 seasons later and thats it. Absolutly zilch.

Instead of the Dominion being the main bad guys during the war, the alternate 'Cargons' (Klingon - Cardassian, my term :lol: ) could enter and be the main foes. The Dominion would still be there of course as they set things up and give a new perspective to the Trek universe. Don't ask me the exact plot as I only thought of this a few minutes ago. But just think how many new storylines this would open up. For example, The Cargons could ally with the Cardasians and attempt to persuade the Klingons to swap sides. Klingon ships from their side could pretend to be ships from our side and vice-versa. StarFleet could help the Humans liberation. The list goes on. Two more things, THINK OF THE UNDERCOVER MISSIONS!!! And don't forget what allies the Federation ould gain from this. Alternative Romulans anyone? Or how about two Siskos figting side-by-side. *sigh*...

*looks up* Dang. Sorry about the length. I also haven't explained it very well. Oh well. The main point is that I think they severely underused the alternative universe ploy. I beleive that DS9 would have been a better show if they HAD used it. Thanks ya'all.

Signing out

*beep*

Nicely put Sasooni. I wish I'd have seen either of those eps as they sound pretty cool..My queation is..could they made the alternate universe story as fascinating as the Dom war? "Cargons" :lol: nice.

Stardate:213499.8

I agree that it would of been very interresting.William Shatner made a series of Star Trek books where I think 4 of them were based on the mirror Universe and they were very very good.

I also have thought that the mirror universe should of played a bigger part in the star trek universe.Oh well maybe it still will.

:laugh: Well, maybe Enterprise will take the mantle for an alternate universe. That would be very cool if they didn't know what had happened, as in Crossover. They have already shown time travel after all...

As was posted above there were several episodes that covered it, there was a bit of a mini arc covering the alternate universe. We even meet Jennifer Sisko in a couple episodes.

They were good episodes but I don't think they could base a few seasons on it.

DS9 had really 2 major arcs in it. Seasons 1 and 2 were more individual episodes but tended to stear us in the arc direction. Episode 26 of season 2, The Jem'Hadar sets up the Dominion arc nicely but that doesn't really take root till season 5. Season 3 is again eposodic but continues to move us along the over all arc of the crew's ives.

Season 4 episode 1 starts the Klingon Arc and that lasts until mid way through season 5. THe final arc, the Dominion war starts with episode 26 of season 5 and takes us through the final episode in season 7.

So there were those to major, specific arcs but the over all series wasn't based on the Dominion arc. I think the entire series is a larger arc of the main characters (The station itself being a character also). Anyway, that's my take on it.

I like mirror universe and their use, don't get me wrong.

But well, I think it was exploited enough. Maybe one or 2 more episode, maybe...

Using this as a major plot would have asked to throw a big part of what we know as the Star Trek universe.. A new past, a new present... 2 sets of characters....

Some ppl consider DS9 to be already complicated enough...

Interesting point. I loved the Dominion War too but perhaps more episodes or a long mirror universe arc would have been better? I myself really liked those episodes as well. Also, with the mirror universe they could have done some interesting crossovers with mirror universe Voyager characters like Evil Janeway ;)

"Crossover"

"Through the Looking Glass"

"Shattered Mirror"

"Resurrection"

"The Emperor's New Cloak"

Those were all 5 mirror universe episodes. :P

anyone have any idea what seasons the last two 'crossover' eps were in?

:P

I hated DS9's mirror universe crossover's.I would have stopped watching altogether if a majority of the series revolved around the crew's interactions with the mirror universe.On the other hand,I wanted more of the Domionion and would've liked the war to last longer.Maybe end the series without resolving the conflict(leave that for the feature film,which I thought was only a few years away at the end of DS9).It might even have been interesting for the alpha quadrant to have lost the war,to a certain extent.