Sign in to follow this  
Itchygomba69

Food From your region that you would like 2 Share

Ok I was wondering what type of food is your region of the World known for (or not Known for) that you recomend everyone try

Being From Pittsburgh area you need a Primanti's Bros Style Sandwithch, its a Sandwitch with Italian Bread, with cooked Lunch Meat, with French Fries, Cheese, Tomatoes, and Cole Slaw, all on the Sandwitch, they are awsome!!

here is there Website, http://www.primantibros.com/

His Royal Highness The King's Recommended Menu

An Good Strong Royal Breakfast

One pork sausage, baked beans, crispy hash browns, scrambled eggs or an omelette, crispy smoked bacon, with fried bread or toast and orange juice or ice cold water.

A Refreshingly Healthy Royal Lunch

Pasta salad, five boiled eggs, sliced cucumber and carrots with shredded iceberg lettuce all covered with lemon juice. Plus a corned beef and cheese sandwich with some lovely lemonade and ice cold water with some delicious Haagan Daas Belgian Chocolate. The greatest chocolate in the world.

A Powerful Royal Dinner

Boneless grilled porkchops, roast potatoes (crispy on the outside, soft on the inside) or mashed potatoes, sage and onion stuffing, boiled sliced carrots with Coca Cola or ice cold water. Now you may opt to replace the porkchops with a chicken pie, roast beef, roast chicken or turkey, or perhaps a steak or beefburger. Your choice of course as you so desire.

Now don't eat this stuff all in one day, because if you do, you'll be dead.

Enjoy!!!

Edited by HRH The KING

Being from Baltimore, Maryland, we are known for our steamed crabs. Chesapeake Bay crabs steamed in vinegar and beer and covered in hot crab seasoning. Its a summer staple here.

OH and now from the South some awsome Cajun cooking ohhh cher I garonteee LOL Red Beans and rice some shrimp Gumbo and for desert some benyas lol go to love the south.

Brian

Well here in my area of northeastern Florida, we have our Great Chowder Debate, Rhythm & Ribs festival, Fire & Ice festival(which has a hot wings and chili cookoff), Arts, Crafts and Seafood festival, Cabbage & Potato festival(this is actually held in a neighboring town, though I have heard somepeople count it as a suburb of this city :P I always considered it another town that happens to neighbor where I live) , a whole festival devoted to the datil pepper, Native American Pow-Wow, and a celebration of our city's founder Pedro Menendez(and like pretty much every fest here, it has food involved)..

So one could say that we have a hodgepdge of foods that people can try.

Not to mention the tours that go on daily at the chocolate factory here(no Not Willy Wonka...lol) and the Winery.

Being from Buffalo, New York I would say chicken wings from the Anchor Bar.

There are several other festivals in Northeast Florida including the Blue Crab, Catfish and shrimp. Btw, the Potato & Cabbage festival has been on hiatus for a few years for "road construction". I think about MJFox's "Doc Hollywood" every time I see the sign for the Potato & Cabbage festival.

However, aside from festivals that specialize in a certain food - I find that many people outside the South have never experienced the delightful "boiled peanut", or fried squash. Apparently, outside the South - they don't drink "iced tea" at every meal. I myself have never - and probably never will - tried Gator tail.

And, IMO, there is nothing so wonderful as "easy over" eggs on top of hot buttered grits. (cheese grits are pretty awesome too) and sadly, homemade biscuits seem to be becoming a lost art.

And another thing I haven't seen in years is a stalk of sugar cane. My dad used to buy them - you'd cut off a small chunk and chew on the sweet inside. I remember as a child visiting someone with my dad who was making sugar can syrup -

And while the Keys are in my state if not my region - nothing can beat "Key Lime Pie"

I am one of the few north of the Mason Dixie Line that Loves Grits, I cant wait to head down south and have some mmmmm

am i the only one who loves Denny's Chicken Strips with Ranch Dressing here, I know its not a regional food, but Damn those are good!

I'm from a part of Michigan that has many Cousin Jacks and Jenny's, which are people who imigrated to America from Cornwall.

You go to that area of the state and you'll get the best sirloin pasties anywhere. :drools:

And doesn't everyone like Mackinac Island Fudge??? :lol:

If not, try Ryba's if you get the chance. My favorite is their chocolate peanut butter. :P :P

As a kid, spending the day or week on the island meant at some time during the day you "drooled" as you watched them make the fudge through the shop window and then they walked out to give free samples.

The smell of fudge clung about you the rest of the day.

http://www.ryba.com/magic.html

Edited by Madame Butterfly

Tacos, Tostadas, Enchiladas, Chile Rellenos, Burritos etc, all the flavors from South of the Border in Mexico. Oh, and Taco Bell does not qualify as authentic as real Mexican cuisine. :P Most Mexican food right across the border tends to be somewhat "Americanized" (similar to Taco bell for "tourist' recognition) so the deeper you go into the Country the better.

we have a Mexiacan resturant that is run from Immigrants from mexico called Cozumel's its great, but dont knock Taco Bell, I like them for a quick cheap mean :P

I eat Taco Bell (and Del Taco) as well but not when I want Authentic Mexican, closest thing to that this side of the border is Julios. :P Is it dinner time yet? :lol:

There are several other festivals in Northeast Florida including the Blue Crab, Catfish and shrimp.  Btw, the Potato & Cabbage festival has been on hiatus for a few years for "road construction".  I think about MJFox's "Doc Hollywood" every time I see the sign for the Potato & Cabbage festival.
I had not realized that :blush 2:

However, aside from festivals that specialize in a certain food - I find that many people outside the South have never experienced the delightful "boiled peanut", or fried squash.  Apparently, outside the South - they don't drink "iced tea" at every meal.  I myself have never - and probably never will - tried Gator tail.

Until a few years ago, I had never really liked boiled peanuts much. Liked peanut butter and honey roasted peanuts, but not boiled. But I gave them another try and do like them now. And sweet iced tea :lol: . Gator tail is not too bad. I had it as part of a meal, that also contained buffalo, pheasant, elk,duck and shrimp. :P Sadly that resteraunt has been gone for a few years, being a good deal Scandinavian it was so nice to be able to go to a resteraunt that had the cuisine. True, gator tail is not part of that, but the platter contained it. Not only that but it was a meal that was brought out raw and you had to cook it at your table on a cooking stone. I loved that, especially with the fresh asparagus that they would add with it. And the fried squash you mentioned... :P with ranch dressing, or just as is.

Hmmm... talking about the squash makes me think of the stuffed zucchini that my mom makes occasionally. Along with the stuffed artichokes.

And while the Keys are in my state if not my region - nothing can beat "Key Lime Pie"

343177[/snapback]

It depends on who made it, on whether or not I like Key Lime. I have had some good key lime pie, and some really bad key lime pie. Key lime cake is actually good too.

Though I was Miami born, and raised for the most part in Northern Florida... I cannot say I like grits much at all.

Ok, people with the Taco Bell talk... as well as the suggestion of going to an authentic Mexican resteraunt. Not Fair!! It is nearly time for me to go to dinner, and I am hungry!! LOL Kidding guys, I am not really upset just hungry is all and that food suggestion sounds really good right now. Actually I am getting ready to head out with my family to one of our favorite places to go in town International Buffet (predominantly Chinese food, but they have a large selection of other items too). I love their Mongolian Barbeque, stuffed mushrooms, crawfish, green beans, sugared peanuts and a bunch of other foods there. Though I am not quite brave enough to eat the sushi (though I love eating pickled herring, go figure)

Edited by Yillara_Soong

The food I was raised on was typical southern,basic food....

Fried chicken,biscuits and gravy,mashed potatos,red beans,okra,fried catfish,grits,beef stew,about a million versions of soups,fried bread,fried green tomatos (which I don't like,but my mom did)....

I only eat at burger stands or pizza about once a month,maybe twice.

When I do,though I like Popeye's Chicken,and Dairy Queen.

Being located about halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago, I'd have to say 1. The Pizza (Chicago Style is awesome, dude!), 2. the Johnsonville Brats, and 3. Miller Beer.

Mmmmm....I recommend Oatcakes. North Staffordshire oatcakes are Britains longest surviving food industry proper. Most oatcake bakers recipes and methods are virtually unchanged from the turn of the century. The switch from coal to gas fired hotplates, known as bakestones, has been the only major technological advance since the industrial revolution. Oatcakes of one form or another were once widespread throughout Britains upland areas following the successful cultivation of wild oats imported by the Romans. The rural tradition of oatcake baking became an urban industry in North Staffordshire when the industrial revolution kick-started the pottery industry. When trade in ceramics grew, good oatcakes found a ready made market. People began baking oatcakes in front-room kitchens for sale through open windows. Successful bakers in good locations turned their front rooms into bakeries.

Oatcakes are delicious with Cheese, Bacon, Tomato, Mushrooms, Ham, Sausages, and not forgeting the brown sauce :)

Long Live Staffordshire! :)

We have Mexican food. Real special, there. :) As if everyone doesn't already know about it...

We eat more foreign foods than english. English food is steak and mustard, or chip shop junk. I like Chinese foods and Mexican :) and some Thai foods are nice.

We coming from the Western Wisconsin area we are famously known for our chesse from Westby *Green Bay Packers former chesse sponser* Also we have one of the largest october fests in the world and the worlds largest six pack so brats and beer are popular.

Montreal I'd have to say "Poutine"fries-cheese-gravy/ French Meat Pies but more importantly "Bifteque"where they have the Best Steak and fish dishes as well.

:P :) :) :)

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

Beer and Brats and a Packers' Game, sounds like a party to me, RK

344205[/snapback]

its ashame that my 2nd Favorite NFL team will Loose to my Favorite (Steelers) I will watch that game eating A Primanti Sandwithch, and Brats, with my Steelers Jersey on with a Greenbay Visor

What is a NFL fan to do!

The food I was raised on was typical southern,basic food....

Fried chicken,biscuits and gravy,mashed potatos,red beans,okra,fried catfish,grits,beef stew,about a million versions of soups,fried bread,fried green tomatos (which I don't like,but my mom did)....

I only eat at burger stands or pizza about once a month,maybe twice.

When I do,though I like Popeye's Chicken,and Dairy Queen.

343333[/snapback]

OMG, fried chicken, mashed potatoes and home-made biscuits. People just don't cook like that anymore. :)

Fried green tomatoes, fried squash, yum... I just remembered my mom used to fry boloney.

I think big dinners are a Southern thing in general. When I lived in other states I never had big church dinners on the grounds, but let me tell you - if you're ever driving through a small Southern town that is having dinner on the church grounds oh my - potato salad, green beans with bacon, ham, fried chicken, biscuits, cornbread, "greens", scalloped potatoes, corn pudding, deviled eggs, pea salad, watergate salad, banana pudding, peach cobbler, all sorts of cakes including red velvet...