Sign in to follow this  
HRH The KING

James Doohan Has Died

:yahoo::clap: Thats the worse thing i have heard in a long time...when i first joined up i had scotty avatars and a few of his quotes in my siggy,he was one of my all time fav in the shows,today is a sad day for the family friends and fans of James Doohan.

*raises glass*...R.I.P

"She is gerry rigged like a christmas tree" :roflmao:

James Doohan, 'Star Trek's' Scotty, dead

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- James Doohan, the burly chief engineer of the Starship Enterprise in the original "Star Trek" TV series and motion pictures who responded to the command "Beam me up, Scotty," died early Wednesday. He was 85.

Doohan died at 5:30 a.m. (1330 GMT) at his Redmond, Washington, home with his wife of 28 years, Wende, at his side, Los Angeles agent and longtime friend Steve Stevens said. The cause of death was pneumonia and Alzheimer's disease, he said.

The Canadian-born Doohan was enjoying a busy career as a character actor when he auditioned for a role as an engineer in a new space adventure on NBC in 1966. A master of dialects from his early years in radio, he tried seven different accents.

"The producers asked me which one I preferred," Doohan recalled 30 years later. "I believed the Scot voice was the most commanding. So I told them, 'If this character is going to be an engineer, you'd better make him a Scotsman.' "

The series, which starred William Shatner as Capt. James T. Kirk and Leonard Nimoy as the enigmatic Mr. Spock, attracted an enthusiastic following of science fiction fans, especially among teenagers and children, but not enough ratings power. NBC canceled it after three seasons.

When the series ended in 1969, Doohan found himself typecast as Montgomery Scott, the canny engineer with a burr in his voice. In 1973, he complained to his dentist, who advised him: "Jimmy, you're going to be Scotty long after you're dead. If I were you, I'd go with the flow."

"I took his advice," said Doohan, "and since then everything's been just lovely."

Edited by MrPsychic

:yahoo::roflmao: A very sad day in Trek Nation..Scotty will always be one of my all time favorite characters..

Thanks for all the wonderful memories Jimmy..Rest in Peace..

A sad day indeed. My sympathies to his friends and family.

Rest in peace, Mr. Scott.

Hey all

Today James Doohan passed away a great man indeed let us all remember how he lived and what he gave to us, his kindness and wisdom. I'm sad that I didn't get to meet him but he will be with me in my heart always. Thank you James for all that you did.

Brian Everhart-Has a tear in his eye

Edited by zipkirk1966

I too heard this, his lived his life like it was his last day and that's how I will live mine THANK YOU James Doohan for all that you gave us you kindness and wisdom you will always be in my heart as Deforest too they will not beforgoten.

Brian

Ah man, this is terrible! I never thought I'd live to see this. Well, Scotty, it's your turn to be beamed up :roflmao:

It is indeed a sad day for trekkies and trekkers alike. May he rest in peace.

I heard about Doohan's passing away when I woke up this morning.

I'm not sure what I can say or add that hasn't already been expressed here.

I'm just really depressed right now.

My thoughts and prayers go out to James "Jimmy" Doohan's family.

I add my condolences to his family and friends. Now he is at peace after a time of illness. He was one of my favorite characters. Perhaps he's having a "wee dram" of his favorite with DeForest Kelly. James Doohan will be missed and he will be remembered! He will always be "a miracle worker!"

Edited by trekz

I met Jimmy Doohan many times over the years at cons. He was always a very nice and gracious man to the fans (unless your name was Shatner). Even though this has been expected for quite some time, he shall be sorely missed.

Just read about it on the MSN webpage sad to hear he passed away was a very good versatile Canadian Actor best known as Mr. Scott("Scotty")on the classic Trek Series and 6 movies a cameo in Generations-(TNG -"Relics")and various other projets he did over the years my condolences to the Friends and Family who lost him and Trekkers/Trekkies will also miss him R.I.P James Doohan.

:yahoo::roflmao:

Edited by LoveMalePecs1

A very sad day for Star Trek fans. He was a truly great man. My condolences to his family. :roflmao:

it is very sad, my condolencses (sp) go to his family in their time of grief.

That's very sad news, not unexpected but no less sad. Not only was he a very good actor but he was also a World War II fighter pilot for the Canadian air force.

"A can nae change the laws of physics." Scotty in The Naked Time, stardate 1704.3, Episode 7

None of us can, Jimmy. :yahoo:

But when our thoughts turn to you we'll be 'lit up like a Christmas tree on the 4th of July!' :roflmao:

Rest in peace...

Thats really sad to hear my thoughts are with his

family.

Rest In Peace James Doohan.

*captain there be whales here*

Edited by Odo

"Synthetic scotch, synthetic commanders."

:crybaby: He will live in the hearts of trekkies until the end of time. :roflmao:

I think I'll make a tribut video now...

Edited by Eratosthenes

A fighter for freedom and an actor will all have loved over the years... to you James Doohan... I thank you and you did always hold things together(Generations).

"Aye captain!"