Sign in to follow this  
Angela

Are your details online?

A new company based online called zabasearch.com has collected all personal data, including where you live, your telephone no etc. and is putting this information into a FREE searchable database. And it is legal.

Are you on this site.?

How do you feel about this.

I searched my last name and got my cousin, his address and his telephone no, I could then if I desired to have paid done a full background check.

Not actually on that site, but the site immediately also permitted a web search and I was the very first person with my name that the web search selected.

I had forgotten that a lot of what I do leaves a record on the web.

I think that such sites are inevitable. Most such info is part of the public record.

You can do a similar search on whitepages which is basically all phone book information (which is public record) in a searchable online site. I have no idea what source this zabasearch used but I would think the phone book sites are more reliable because they are more current.

As far as paying to do a background search - they legally only have access to what is already public record - I know from work experience that to do certain searches you have to have signed authorization (not that some people don't break the law).

That's only slightly disturbing... :blink:

I was on there, but luckily I was last on the list and it wasn't the name I normally go by.

I agree; this is probably a phonebook/mailing address database. They even have my street address spelled the same incorrect way as junk-mailers do.

I was there as well. But the information is very old. It has my address listed as the one I had when I was married which was 4 years ago. I was surprised at how many people are out there in the US that have my exact first and last name.. :blink:

I'm not on there at all.

I'm going to go back and see if anyone in my family is listed.

This is too funny. It does not have either the currect age or address for my sister. Since I just moved, all my info is wrong too. My birthday is not on file.

The place I got I where I was told of this data base had a woman who was unlisted, including address, to keep away an abusive stalker ex-husband. She had paid not to be in the address book or phoine book. Others also were there, who had also paid to not be listed in anyway. This does raise some security issues does it not?

I just found the address of a cousin of mine that I haven't seen or spoken to since I was a child!

Lately I've been thinking about her and her family,especially her mother...my aunt.I hope my aunt's still alive,there are a lot of questions I need answered about my dad,and her and my dad's parents.

This is great,I'm going to write her tonight and send her my e-mail addy. :)

My address and phone number there are six years old. I guess that protects me some (my phone # is in my maternal gfather's name - good luck trying to reach me if you didn't know him!), but my parents live there. I looked up some friends from college, but still couldn't find the one I'm looking for. I guess I'll keep looking....

Our info is absent but that's no surprise; we [try to] avoid things which lead to our personal info being listed at places like that, like not using banks or having credit cards etc and under no circumstances do we ever use our info to receive anything for "free". The hidden cost of getting free things is a loss of privacy by personal info being "sold" to whoever will pay for it.

Anytime you are required to give out your info, look for a check a box which denies permission to use the info for anything other than why you are providing it in the first place, if no such box exists; don't do it.

Only part of my stuff is there. Same for my mom. My sister does not appear under her married name, and there seems to be a bunch of people with my brother's name. My dad's info is there too. Found my dance teachers, the owners & store managers from where I work, several coworkers, classmates..... this is kinda on the eerie side here :laugh::eekout:

I had a bright idea to try and see if it had my best friend's info(since he went back home in March, and I have not yet heard from him)... but unfortunately both his first and last name seems to be really, really common. *sigh* :P oh, well. *gets stamps ready so I can send him a snail mail, I have his current address... was hoping for a phone number on that site. Also notice that it seems to only search people in the US... and since he is not here anymore, that rules that out.*

Edited by Yillara_Soong