Sign in to follow this  
Riaan

Archer's clock

In COLD FRONT (season 1) one of the religious pilgrims gave Archer a clock in appreciation for Archer's hospitality. (Archer had no clue as to how it works.) To me it looks suspiciously like the Suliban data disks Archer, T'Pol and Trip took from the Suliban ship in SHOCKWAVE PART I. (I haven't had time to go back and check the two episodes to see if they are alike.) I kept thinking during Part II that it would be used to help get Archer back to his time. Maybe the writers will remember it and use the clock in a future episode.

Did anyone else notice the clock and disks? Has anyone checked it out? Are they the same? Do you think the clock will be used in the future?

Interesting, I'll keep an eye out for that when I re-watch them. Wasn't there also something about a clock in DS9? Sisko built one while an alien possessed him, I wonder if there could be a connection...

I keep trying to rewatch those two episodes, but I never quite get to it. I case you watch before me, please post what you find.

OK y'all, I finally got a chance to check out Archer's clock.

As I stated in my earlier post, when I first saw the Suliban disks in Shockwave I, I thought that the clock disk (Cold Front) was similar and would be used to get Archer back to the 22nd Century in Shockwave II. When this didn't occur, it caused me to doubt my observations.

After rewatching Cold Front and Shockwave I several times here are my observations:

It appears that the disk portion in the clock is very much like the 3 disks Archer took from the Suliban ship in Shockwave I. At first I thought the clock disk was larger than the Suliban disks. That was due to the angle and close up of the shot. I carefully compared the size of the disks in relationship to his hands. I finally came to the conclusion that the clock disk and the Suliban disks are approximately the same size.

I also compared the appearance of the disks. There is a excellent close-up shot of the clock disk at the end of Cold Front with Archer in his Ready Room, holding it in his hands and looking at it . This shot was perfect for observing the detail on the disk surface. Although the shots of the Suliban disks in Shockwave I lacked strong detail and were at a farther distance than the shot of the clock, it does appear that the surfaces of the 3 Suliban disks are very similar to that of the clock.

The questions still remain:

1. What is the clock?

2. Will the crew/Archer figure out what it is?

3. Does the clock contain vital data regarding "history" (assuming it may come from the future)?

4.Will the clock be used/ needed to restore the timeline should it become altered?

5. Is this B&B's reset button?

A side note:

While rewatching Shockwave I, both Archer and Daniels commented on the destruction of San Francisco. Archer also commented that the destruction appeared to have occured long ago. Do you think that was a view of Earth's future after the attack by the Xindi, fortold by Future Guy?