Sign in to follow this  
Madame Butterfly

3rd tremor for California in a week.

Moderate Quake Shakes Southern California

YUCAIPA, Calif. (June 16) - A moderate earthquake shook most of Southern California Thursday, but there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries. The 1:53 p.m. quake had a preliminary magnitude of 5.3 and was centered three miles northeast of Yucaipa in San Bernardino County east of Los Angeles, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

Preliminary magnitude of the quake centered in San Bernardino County Thursday.

Magnitude of the quake that hit 90 miles off Northern California Wednesday.

Magnitude of the quake that shook the Anza area of Riverside County Sunday.

Source: AP

Shaking was reported from Los Angeles to San Diego and in counties to the east.

"We just had a few items falling, that's all," said Andrea Cabrera, an employee at the Walgreens drug store in Yucaipa. "The customers were just stunned, and they just stood there."

It was the third significant quake to affect California since Sunday when a magnitude-5.2 quake shook the Anza area of Riverside County. A 7.0 quake struck Tuesday night 90 miles off Northern California.

Earthquake scientists did not immediately know which fault the temblor occurred on.

U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Susan Hough in Pasadena said she believed the quake was most likely triggered by Sunday's quake near Anza, 20 miles south of Palms Springs.

"The shaking from the Anza earthquake sort of juggled the fault in this other area that probably caused this earthquake to happen," Hough said.

Several witnesses noted that the quake wasn't strong at the outset but grew quickly.

"It kind of started out weak, kind of had that wavy motion. I had stuff fall off of my desk and off the wall," said Steve Jaronski, an employee of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.

The Los Angeles Fire Department received no immediate reports of any significant damage, said spokesman Brian Humphrey.

"It was a good little shake but nothing fell off the walls or anything," said John Sharp, 80, a volunteer at the Yucaipa Chamber of Commerce. "I've been thrown before. I've been through a few of them."

The windows began shaking at the Pizza Chalet in Yucaipa and "everything started moving," said employee Josh Fred, 17.

Through the window, he said he saw people running out of a furniture store and a Big Lots store.

"We have video games and they started to move around. I held on to them so they didn't fall," he said.

Dishes and supplies "started shaking real loud," he said.

There was a couple in the restaurant when the quake and several aftershocks hit, but they didn't leave and when the shaking stopped, they resumed eating their pepperoni pizza, Fred said.

Channon Kelly, 31, was eating her lunch in downtown Los Angeles when the quake hit.

"I almost jumped out of my seat," Kelly said. "I'm starting to get freaked out. We've had so many in the last week, the one Sunday and then in Northern California. I could hear the windows rattling and feel it all at the same time."

Nelson Amador was more blase, guessing the strength of the quake while on a cigarette break from his job as cook at the Courtyard Cafe in Los Angeles. "This one didn't bother me. I'm used to it," Amador said. "Anyway, I'm from Honduras, we worry more about hurricanes than earthquakes."

06/16/05 17:08 EDT

Actually, the USGS has upgraded the northern California quake to 7.2. It was a very cool earthquake as those things go. :huh:

I'm going to California on vacation in August. I hope it doesn't float off into the Pacific until afterwards.... :huh:

I didn't feel any one of the three. We heard of Tuesday's quake and resulting tsunami warning on the radio while coming home from an awards ceremony at Jems School & being on very low ground and alarmingly near the coast at the time caused us to have some tense moments of terror until we got back onto the higher ground of our neighborhood.

This gives new meaning to the question, "What's shakin' in California?"

I have only been in a couple quakes. Last one was years ago in Las Vegas. We were in the old MGM Grand. My friend and I thought we felt something and looked at each other, but no one in the place paid any attention - they just kept gambling! We read about it in the paper the next day.

Edited by trekz

There was another one, magnitude 6.6, off the coast of northern California last night at 11:21 PM PDT. It felt just about like the first one, just slightly less intense. I'm amazed at the length of these quakes, they seem to go on for half a minute or so as opposed to a quick, sudden motion.

KOR your not gonna be able to go its gonna fal into the ocean in the next monh and be the next atlantis, any Forum Members living in Cali right now Run Run RUN Run to Vegas or somewhere, and Kor join me in Aug down in Florida

Florida sounds good to me!!!!!!!!!!

331691[/snapback]

It is hurricane season - in addition, the humidity has been in the high 90's and the heat index was over 100 this week. It storms regularly (biiiiig lightning, biiiig thunder :lol: ) and all the flooded ditches and marshes drive out the snakes (and the gators) and more importantly helps breed MOSQUITOS

Sheesh!.....Maybe I'll just stay home on vacation........WHERE ITS SAFE!!!

I love Lighting, and anywho I got 2 free 4-day passes to Disney World

about te CA issue, we should invest into Real Estate in Vegas, Soon it will be ocean front property LOL

*gasp* ! could it be?! is this the begining of it all? is the whol west coast going to sink into the oceans depths?! hey it wouldnt be so bad though, the ocean line would come up closer to me ^.^

A 5th earthquake struck Calif yesterday, I hope all these minor quakes are relieving pressure and pushing back the Big One