Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

The Season Five That Could Have Been

One person who has received much praise from the Star Trek fan base over the last couple of years is Manny Coto. In a recent interview with David Bassom for Star Trek Magazine Coto revealed that he and his team of writers had plenty of fresh stories left in the tank for what would more than likely have covered the whole of season 5.

When talking about the penultimate two episodes ‘Demons,' and Terra Prime,' Coto stated that he thought of those two episodes as more of a season finally, he amended by saying that to him Enterprise had two series enders. He also felt that season four for him started out with the episode home, and the xenophobia and prejudice towards Dr. Phlox in that episode was somewhat of a marker for the events seen in Demons,' and ‘Terra Prime,' So to Coto's mind it is kind of ironic that the series ended at a point where the grass roots were sawn for a ‘United Federation Of Planets'.

Coto revealed that had they got a 5 th year it would have followed directly on from the events in ‘Demons,' and ‘Terra Prime'.

“If we had gotten a fifth season, it would have been about the real meat of the Federation being founded,” he revealed to the magazine. “I would have melded that to a bit of a return to the exploration theme of the show. We would have found new members to join the Federation and watched it come together in a series of episodes that would have spanned the entire season.”

Season Four saw Coto able to fulfil two things on his personal wish list with the Mirror Universe story arc, had it come off fans would have had opportunity to see Cloud City again which was first introduced in the original series episode ‘The Cloud Minders'.

“Along with the Mirror Universe episodes, that was something I really wanted to do. I hoped to do it this season, but we just ran out of episodes! It's a pity. That probably would have been the opener to Season Five. It breaks my heart.”

When asked for some reasons why he feels that Star Trek: Enterprise did not perform to well in the US ratings Coto thinks that fans may have been looking for something new from Star Trek and feels that the formula for Trek may not have changes enough for the modern Science Fiction audience.

“Star Trek has been around for 18 years in this incarnation and it's the same old [format] – we're on the Bridge, here's the captain and the same kind of crew composition and interactions. When something fresher comes along like the new Battlestar Galactica, I can see the urge to tune in and see what else is new out there.”

One trend in Hollywood of late is re-imaginings, when Coto was asked about the chances of doing a remake of the original series he answered with the following.

“There's no doubt a re-imagining of the Original series would be fun, but it would close you off to a number of possibilities, and unnecessarily so. I would argue that the best thing would be to go to the 25 th Century. I would go foreword, and leave it open ended.”

In conclusion Manny Coto is proud of the work he managed to pump out on Star Trek: Enterprise and feels both proud and honoured to have been able to fulfil his boyhood dreams of working on a Star Trek show.

“Working on Enterprise really has been a dream come true,” he declares. “When I look back now, it seems like everything led me to Star Trek. Star Trek is the show that formed me as a lover of Science Fiction. So I don't regret working on Star Trek for a moment – I would actually be very open to working on Star Trek again, if that ever became an option. I've had a blast!”

Thankfully the show was cancelled before Coto had a chance to cause any further damage.

I think Coto breathed new life into Enterprise. His episodes are among the best in the series.

Season one was bad .... season two with the Xindi killed any hope. It was going to die period after season two. So whatever good happen in season four, it was to late

I think a lot of fans just didn't "get" Enterprise. They expected to see a polished crew like what we were used to from the previous series'. Thats not what this series was about. This series was about taking first steps and making mistakes and learning from them so that eventually the polished crews of the later series could emerge.

I think a lot of fans just didn't "get" Enterprise. They expected to see a polished crew like what we were used to from the previous series'. Thats not what this series was about. This series was about taking first steps and making mistakes and learning from them so that eventually the polished crews of the later series could emerge.

Agreed.

Thankfully the show was cancelled before Coto had a chance to cause any further damage.

Here we go again.... :tribble:

look. the only reason enterprise didn't do to well was:

one:

they changed the title from enterprise to star trek enterprise. common sense would of told you to start out calling the show star trek enterprise.

two:

the screenplay for the episodes from season 1-3 were horrible. almost nothing oringinal, nothing new, and not to mention, THEY BROUGHT THE STORY OF THE BORG INTO THE SERIES WAY TOO (I'm trying to misspell a badword but can't) EARLY!!!!!!!!

three: The Xindi episodes were supposed to last 2-4 episodes and not a whole season.

four: they had to wait until the middle of season 4 to start showing fresh, new, and orginal episodes as they creators and paramount announced it was going to be cancelled.

if anything, the writers from season 1-3 should be shot or hung.

look. the only reason enterprise didn't do to well was:

one:

they changed the title from enterprise to star trek enterprise. common sense would of told you to start out calling the show star trek enterprise.

I am fearful the same mistake might be made with the next Batman movie. They are calling it "The Dark Knight" and not "Batman: The Dark Knight" or something like that.

"Kor 37"

I think Coto breathed new life into Enterprise. His episodes are among the best in the series.

If that's the "best", then I fear for this franchise.

It's got nothing to do with not "getting" Enterprise.

Deep Space Nine was far less "polished" in terms of characters and it lasted seven seasons.

People can recognise bad writing when they see it on the TV screen. That's what IMO sunk Enterprise.

Lady Britannia, you didn't like the Mirror Universe episodes? I thought they were some of the best episodes of all time.

Look guys, there was a lot of problems with Enterprise. The problem with the Vulcans that made Earth from first contact to 2150's into a Earth that I would not care to be in.

Second, the ship Enterprise was way to weak. One photon torpedo could take out Enterprise.

The Xindi killed the show period. I do not mind dealing with the Klingons and the rest of the know races in the star trek universe that was around from the 1960's till the ending of DS9 and Voyager. Having the Borg in Enterprise was sad, as that broke all the rules.

What I wanted was to know the history that happen before TOS. I wanted to know about why the netral zone was made and why. I wanted to know why the federation was organized. All that I got was junk, it was not what I had dreams about.

Enterprise was not the fantasy I had a dream about.

Lady Britannia, you didn't like the Mirror Universe episodes? I thought they were some of the best episodes of all time.

They were OK. Mirror Universe episodes tend to stand out due to their novelty nature. But I thought DS9's were far superior.

maybe that's because they had one for almost each season.

Never did think of it that way, but you are right.

Will have to say the marketing of the mirror universe characters did become a boom for star trek.

I liked all the Mirror universe episodes from the series that had aired them and true might have been good if we had more background on other stuff that was shown in TOS if they had managed to get a Year 5 but overall I liked the series "Enterprise".

They were OK. Mirror Universe episodes tend to stand out due to their novelty nature. But I thought DS9's were far superior.

You mean where the Ferengi's were key players and Worf sought out a cloaking device that was shown in several earlier episodes? To me, the DS9 Mirror Universe episodes weren't that good, just a change up from the war.

Worf was terrible in the mirror universe. Just an over size Klingon, that was what Worf was in the mirror universe. In fact, the Klingons were not brave, were not smart, and they did not act like the Klingons from our side.

Was not too happy to make Ezri Tigan (mirror universe) and Leeta (mirror universe) and Kira (mirror universe) acting in a lesbian way. Was clear with both Ezri and Kira, and hinting with Leeta. Feel that gives a problem with the mirror universe. Think about it, Ezri our universe and Ezri in the mirror universe both has the same parents. If not they would not look the same in both universes. So I ask you, why does sexural preferense has to change in both universes.

Maybe it is bcause they are women, as the men in the mirror universe never look to be gay. What would it be like if Sisko and Odo were in a lip lock in the mirror universe. Or, see Odo as a gay sex toy, or, just a sex toy for both genders. Just think what Odo could change his face into, geee.

getting back on topic...

enterprise suffered mainly on the time travel episodes. granted the suilban was probably the only original alien they had on there at the time, but it got to a point that they just had to do a time travel episode every season

getting back on topic...

enterprise suffered mainly on the time travel episodes. granted the suilban was probably the only original alien they had on there at the time, but it got to a point that they just had to do a time travel episode every season

Do not see that as the problem.

true....but you've got to admit on DS9, the time trave episodes were actually amusing sometimes than plain stupid

Edited by tj_hawk

true....but you've got to admit on DS9, the time trave episodes were actually amusing sometimes than plain stupid

Why must I admit this? DS9's episodes were dark and complex. I didn't see anything "amusing" or "stupid". They did contain a certain amount of black humour, but that fit the tone of the episode and the series in general.