Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Who is the all-time best James Bond?

Who is the all-time best James Bond?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the all-time best James Bond?

• Sean Connery
    • George Lazenby
    • Roger Moore
    • Timothy Dalton
    • Pierce Brosnan

Seeing as there is a disscussion about Sean Connery already on here, I thought it might be interesting to see who most people prefer in the Bond role.

Personally I think Connery is the best, those films have an epic quality and are closer to the original books (well at least the earlier ones).

I nulled mine.

I haven't seen all of them  :huh:  :ph34r:

Which ones have you seen so far?

:rolleyes:

Actually, come to think of it...I don't think I've seen a whole one! I may have to put this summer to use by watching them...

I nulled mine.

Actually, come to think of it...I don't think I've seen a whole one! I may have to put this summer to use by watching them...

Well my personal opinion is that From Russia With Love is the best, but as it was the second one made it might not do any harm to have a look at Dr No as well.

When you see the older films you will see how bad the new ones are. :dude:

I nulled mine.

Well my personal opinion is that From Russia With Love is the best, but as it was the second one made it might not do any harm to have a look at Dr No as well.

When you see the older films you will see how bad the new ones are. :dude:

I'm planning on watching them in order, starting with the first one :bow:

Sean Connery rocks as James Bond!!!! he's the best with Pierce Bronson coming in a close second.Roger Moore was ok but not great and Timothy Dalton just plain sucked.

Sean Connery of course, Pierce Bronson second.

I watched " Die Another Day " last night and it was a bit far fetched, but sheer entertainment none the less. :rolleyes:

SIR SEAN CONNERY

hes the best. i absolutely love Goldfinger. i am an even bigger fan of James Bond than Star Trek!

Sean Connery captures the Ian Fleming Bond perfectly, but its kind of unfair to compare them, since they all play him differently:

Sean Connery: cool and suave

George Lazenby: emotional

Roger Moore: comical

Timothy Dalton: extremely serious

Peirce Brosnan: all of the above.

Sean Connery of course, Pierce Bronson second.

I watched " Die Another Day " last night and it was a bit far fetched, but sheer entertainment none the less. 

Lollypop, im glad you said that. James Bond has never really been about believability. its pure entertainment. most people expect them to be serious these days, but if they have larger-than-life villains, thats the whole point of James Bond! yay!

(and if you think its far-fetched because of the cloak on the Aston Martin, thats actually in development right now. they have plasma screens on the hull of the vehicle that display what tiny cameras see, not the car. its really amazing. the american army is developing it for their vehicles. it is really sensitive to damage though, so its not very effective yet. :rolleyes: i love technology! its so cool!)

I nulled - I still haven't seen them all.

Hey, I got promoted! I didn't know 2500 was a landmark! YAY

Sean Connery rocks as James Bond!!!! he's the best with Pierce Bronson coming in a close second.Roger Moore was ok but not great and Timothy Dalton just plain sucked.

If you think Timothy Dalton sucked then you haven't seen George Lazenby. :lol:

If you think Timothy Dalton sucked then you haven't seen George Lazenby. :lol:

are you serious? i love timothy dalton! he did so much for the series. moore was constantly making the movies more slapstick and stupid with crappy, corny jokes and then comes dalton. ahhh! sweet relief. seriousness returns to the movies. daltons 2 movies are in my top favorites.

and lazenby...sure he followed connery and everybody compares him, but do not compare. each actor plays bond differently and you must acknowledge that. lazenby was emotional. he brought the series back to ian fleming basics. connery's later movies were getting to far from fleming style bond. too many gadgets. bond was becoming invincible. lazenby straightened the series up (well...at least for one movie). few gadgets -- pure bond skill. bond became real again. he got married in on her majesty's secret service, and a few moments later, his wife gets shot in the head. james bond is truly hurt for the first time in the series. and in my opinion, the only time in the series. OHMSS is one of the best bond films out there. it breaks the mold. it is amazing and lazenby should have done diamonds are forever as well. (connery sucked in that one)

Hey I'm not knocking the film ' On her majesty's secret service " I thought it was one of the best films in my opinion. I just thought George Lazenby was a bit wooden

Hey I'm not knocking the film ' On her majesty's secret service " I thought it was one of the best films in my opinion. It just thought George Lazenby was a bit wooden

oh dont worry. i know that. i wasnt bashing your opinion or anything. i hope you didnt think that.

i was just stating at how different our opinions are. i just found it crazy that the exact people that you hate are the people that are really good imo. thats all.

(come to think of it, the only bond i dislike is moore. too slapstick for my taste. hes still good though. there are no james bonds that i hate.)

I was never able to enjoy anyone other then Sean Connery

Yes, Sean Connery is by far the best. I used to like Roger Moore but he does not touch Sean Connery. As for the rest, they are not even close.

Sean Connery was the best. But I like all of them to some extent. I've enjoyed the Pierce Brosnan movies the least, but that's not really his doing.

Timothy Dalton gets slammed a lot, but I thought he was great. I really wish he could have stayed on for more. Too bad Licence to Kill was a stinker.

I really liked Roger Moore in his first two. I liked his ability to do humor, and his screen presence. His movies took a serious dive into corniness right after that, though. Too bad.

George Lazenby was great, too. In fact, his movie was my favorite Bond movie. Sometimes it's tied with From Russia With Love, others it's my absolute fave. For never having acted before, I thought he did a great job. He also reminded me of the Bond in the OHMSS novel.

Timothy Dalton gets slammed a lot, but I thought he was great.  I really wish he could have stayed on for more.  Too bad Licence to Kill was a stinker.

I really liked Roger Moore in his first two.  I liked his ability to do humor, and his screen presence.  His movies took a serious dive into corniness right after that, though.  Too bad. 

George Lazenby was great, too.

agreed. Dalton was quite good. i did hate Lisense To Kill the first few times i watched it, but i kept watching it for some reason, and now i love it. i geuss it just grows on you.

also, i agree with Roger Moore being good in Live And Let Die and The Man With The Golden Gun, but he also was great in The Spy Who Loved Me.

but The Man With The Golden Gun did have its corny moments (ex. the stupid noise when Bond drove over the spiral-bridge thingy, sgt. pepper, etc. ugh B) what was with those?)

(dont even get me started with Moonraker. lol)

And yes, Lazenby was good. he really captured the Ian Fleming James Bond. its too bad everyone hates him. :)

Hey I'm not knocking the film ' On her majesty's secret service " I thought it was one of the best films in my opinion. I just thought George Lazenby was a bit wooden

I actually consider Lazenby to be my second favourite Bond and think that he needed at least another film to really get into the part. But OHMSS has to be one of Bonds best films.

Here is my list of favourite Bonds:

1. Sean Connery

2. George Lazenby

3. Roger Moore

4. Pierce Bronson

5. Timothy Dalton (Tried to get to the Bond presented in the books, but totally missed the point as he had no charisma. In fact I think early Connery is closer to Flemming's Bond).

And this is my list of top eight Bond films:

1. From Russia with Love

2. Doctor No

3. Goldfinger

4. You Only Live Twice

5. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service

6. Thunderball

7. Live And Let Die

8. The Man With The Golden Gun

Sean Connery was the best.  But I like all of them to some extent.  I've enjoyed the Pierce Brosnan movies the least, but that's not really his doing.

The few criticisms that I have about the Brosnan films are:

1. Too much political correctness. This is meant to be a BOND film yet the Bond Girls are getting too much action, it is fine if a female character has an actual role in the development of the plot but in this case it feels a bit forced.

2. Too many gadgets. We need less of these and more charactisation for the Bond character.

3. Where is the John Barry musical score? Bond is NOT Bond without him.

4. Bond is not brutal enough to be an MI6 agent and the odd hand to hand fight we do see is 'over directed' i.e. too many close ups and cutting to different shots which serves to diminish the action.

5. No plot arc as Connery had.

6. Connery is not in it.

1. Too much political correctness. This is meant to be a BOND film yet the Bond Girls are getting too much action, it is fine if a female character has an actual role in the development of the plot but in this case it feels a bit forced.

2. Too many gadgets. We need less of these and more charactisation for the Bond character.

3. Where is the John Barry musical score? Bond is NOT Bond without him.

4. Bond is not brutal enough to be an MI6 agent and the odd hand to hand fight we do see is 'over directed' i.e. too many close ups and cutting to different shots which serves to diminish the action.

5. No plot arc as Connery had.

6. Connery is not in it.

well put TransporterMalfunction.

My thoughts on those points:

1. Even though we are living in the age of political correctness, it is still a BOND film, as TransporterMalfunction stated. Bond girls have never had the main action roles, and this is hurting Bond's reputation as a bigot. That's his character, and when we see Halle Berry upstaging him in everything he does (even landing her own Jink movie), it totally defeats the James Bond character that Ian Fleming made.

2. Waaay to many gadgets. I like in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, For Your Eyes Only, and The Living Daylights when the gadgets were minimal. Bond had to rely on his skill, not on his gadgets. Bond isn't Bond without a few gadgets, but Bronsnan's movies do take them over board.

3. I actually quite enjoy the David Arnold scores. In Tomorrow Never Dies and The World Is Not Enough, they strayed a bit from the Bond sound, but Die Another Day's score really sounded John Barry-ish with a bit of techno-riffs added in. There were even some retr0-sounding parts to the score, which reminded me of John Barry's amazing score for A View To A Kill. (Don't even get me started on Eric Serra's dreadful Goldeneye score. Ugh. Lol)

4. I hadn't noticed that. But I will defenitely look out for it next time I watch a Bronsnan Bond.

5. There wasn't really that much of a plot arc in Connery's movies. Only Ernst Stavro Blofeld. Maybe they should bring him back for one more Bond flick. The only other plot arc I remember from Connery's movies is Sylvia Trench. (Bond met her in Dr. No and she is the only Bond girl to appear in another film, From Russia With Love.). But, yes, more plot arcs would be nice. Most Bond films don't flow with each other, and to have them connected would be nice. (BUT NO CLIFFHANGERS PLEASE!!!)

6. There is a rumour that Sean Connery may come back and play Bond's old mentor, or somebody to that nature. It is a wild rumour, but it would be pretty darn cool if it were true.

6. There is a rumour that Sean Connery may come back and play Bond's old mentor, or somebody to that nature. It is a wild rumour, but it would be pretty darn cool if it were true.

Talking about Sean, did anyone else notice how he looked older in Diamonds are Forever than he did in Never say Never?

On the gadget front, I do like the odd gadget but it has to be realistic like the suitcase in From Russia with Love. Saying that, the jet pack in Thunderball was a bit over the top. :laugh:

I do seem to be finding quite a few faults with the Bronson Bond even though I do like him on the whole, but another point is that Pierce is getting a bit old for the part. To me Bond should be in his 30s and not dodging explosions in his 50s.

What we need is someone like Connery who can be brash, brutish and suave all at the same time.

Talking about Sean, did anyone else notice how he looked older in Diamonds are Forever than he did in Never say Never?

On the gadget front, I do like the odd gadget but it has to be realistic like the suitcase in From Russia with Love. Saying that, the jet pack in Thunderball was a bit over the top.  :laugh:

not only that, but Sean Connery's weight noticeably changes throughout the movie. lol. i think all we can say about Diamonds Are Forever is "what a stinker of a movie!!!" lol

and i agree with realistic gadgets, BUT

the jetpack in thunderball actually works and flies in real life. for the movie, they got a stuntman to fly it, and then green-screened the close-ups of Sean. the only problem was that the stuntman had to do it quickly or he might burn his legs from the heat if he took to long to fly it! lol.

AND

the cloaking technology used in Die Another Day is actually being developed by the US Army right now.

Seeing as there is a disscussion about Sean Connery already on here, I thought it might be interesting to see who most people prefer in the Bond role.

Personally I think Connery is the best, those films have an epic quality and are closer to the original books (well at least the earlier ones).

Sean Connery is by far the best of the bonds :angry: