Sign in to follow this  

Greetings all! :rolleyes:

The X Files had Dogget replace Mulder durring the last 2 seasons joined by Reyes in the final season. The fans were devided, some hated the new agents, some loved the change.

Well, this got me to thinking... How did you all feel about Ezri Dax as a character durring the final season? Did you feel she was ment to replace Jadzia, fill in the "void" she left behind, or what? Personally, I loved the character. :ph34r:

I can't find the thread where we discussed this already, but I preferred Jadzia..I'm not really sure why, maybe because I was just used to her being around. Ezri just didn't fit IMO.

I can't find the thread where we discussed this already, but I preferred Jadzia..I'm not really sure why, maybe because I was just used to her being around. Ezri just didn't fit IMO.

I'm not asking who was better, I'm just asking what you thought of Ezri Dax as her own character. :rolleyes:

Ezri was a good character, I especially liked her complicated family situation, and some of the humer that came along with getting the Dax symbiont.

I'm not asking who was better, I'm just asking what you thought of Ezri Dax as her own character. :lol:

and I'll re-iterate for you..I never found Ezri to fit in with the rest of the cast and saw her to be an outsider..but again, that could be because I was so used to Jadzia B)

I'm not asking who was better, I'm just asking what you thought of Ezri Dax as her own character. :lol:

and I'll re-iterate for you..I never found Ezri to fit in with the rest of the cast and saw her to be an outsider..but again, that could be because I was so used to Jadzia B)

Ah, cool. B)

I've only seen six or seven episodes with Ezri, but I kinda liked her. She's no Jadzia, that's for sure. But Ezri in and of herself - yeah, sure...but not comparable to JD.

The awnser is obvious.. ehehe

I like to see that even if Jadzia and Ezri are both with the Dax simbiot, they aren't the same person.

I like both... They have both their strong and low points.

And I like to see the dilemma she got and the problems she got since she wasn't prepare to be joined at all.

I choose that nick because I like Dax character.. the possibility to have a lot of ressources from different lifetime.. And the fact that she's still alive.

I was used to Jadzia and so that tainted my view of Ezri. Just as Dr Bev being around tainted, to an extent, my view of Pulaski. The character was very interesting though in that she wasn't a prepared Trill and couldn't deal with her emotions and new knowledge very well. It ws good to see a character, for once, who WASN'T "the finest in the fleet!"

I liked Ezri, but really wish that she could have been introduced as a completely new character rather than a replacement of Jadzia. For one thing, it was too bad that she was offed like she was. And Jadzia was such a class act that it made Ezri, as likeable as I thought she was, pale so much in comparison.

Despite her having the Dax symbiot I never really thought of Ezri as a replacement for Jadzia. I loved Jadzia, probably my favourite character in DS9 and Terry Farrell played her really well but none of that stopped me from really liking Ezri. I think Nicole de Boer did a great job with the character and I enjoyed watching her scenes.

Hmm...Ezri wasn't my favorite but she Nicole DeBoer did a good job at portraying her...I think she was an ok character for being we only saw one season of her and they crammed all they could about her into a few episodes....I was never that big of a Dax fan so I never really paid much attention to either of them.

Had they replaced Kira, then I would have something to yell about...

Both Jadzia and Ezri have their moments of slump and glory. One thing special about DS9 is that its major characters get to die. It makes the show realistic. There are many shows out there where the good guys never die no matter how many times they get shot or bombed. They just won't die. That's not really realistic. DS9 was in a war era and casualties must be a part of the scene. It happened to be Jadzia. She died but I really didn't like the way she died and I won't get any arguement from Worf. The story would have been richer if she died sacrificing for someone or mission.... or some other glorious death.

One thing good about ST also is that they can still "ressurect" a dead character. Hence we have Ezri. It takes a while getting used to her but she still is a Dax and she made a great show of the struggles she faces from being recently joined. I think Ezri helped us see the struggles Trills have to face after being joined. She needed to fit in with the rest of the crew. There could certainly be a study about Trills just through Ezri's episodes.

Finally, I think its very cruel to ask me to choose between Jadzia and Ezri. They are both gorgeous and I'd love to choose Jadzia but what would Ezri think?!? I'd probably make her cry. And if I choose Ezri, Jadzia would come ofter me with a bat'leth. Its just isn't fair. I like them both.

I loved that episode when Garak was having his claustrophobia problem and stupid little Ezri was so inneffectual at helping him ... he really had some great hateful lines to spout at that annoying little twit. I liked that episode until the end when things all worked out for the new darling of DS9.

I guess y'all can tell how I felt about Ezri ... I found her trite and irritating the entire season. And to have her posted on DS9 with Jadzia Dax's recently widowed husband and all of Jadzia's friends went against everything we had learned of the Trill society up to that point.

TPTB were trying to "replace" Terry Farrell in the most insulting way possible because they were ticked off at Farrell for leaving the show. IMO it just plain did not work.

I don't know if anybody here reads "Star Trek" novels, but it might interest some of you to know that "Deep Space Nine" has been carried forward, in the books, from the final episode of the series. I mention that because Ezri Dax continues as a main character in those works, and she undergoes what I think are some interesting changes. We also get to know her better (even as she gets to know herself and her symbiont better).

Edited by David R. George III

I don't know if anybody here reads "Star Trek" novels, but it might interest some of you to know that "Deep Space Nine" has been carried forward, in the books, from the final episode of the series.  I mention that because Ezri Dax continues as a main characters in those works, and she undergoes what I think are some interesting changes.  We also get to know her better (even as she gets to know herself and her symbiont better).

263081[/snapback]

All right ... an amendment to my dislike of Ezri Dax. Those Deep Space Nine novels that take up where the series left off are AWESOME. That being said, I do like Ezri Dax in the novels. Her character goes through some very interesting changes and the relationship between Ezri and Bashir develops nicely.

The books are wonderful. It was the introduction of Ezri Dax onto the television show that was incredibly forced and didn't work for me.

To everyone who loved DS9 and misses it like crazy .... READ THOSE RELAUNCH BOOKS. Avatar, Mission Gamma and that last book called Unity all work together to bring DS9 back to life. You guys may really enjoy the return of Ro Laren. The interaction between Ro and Kira .... well you can imagine and you'll just have to read it.

By the way, in the interests of full disclosure, I have to say that I actually have written two of the dozen or so "Deep Space Nine" novels that take place after the last episode of the series. Still, I read the other works because I'm a big fan of the continuing storyline.

I liked Ezri because of the fact that she new that she was an outsider, and the she (as Dax) had to work to regain her place she had formerly enjoyed as Jadzia, and at the same time had to deal for her own personal problems (as Ezri) and learn to get over them. She had a heavy load on her shoulders, and for the most part she dealt with it rather well. Despite the occasional confusion having a new symbiont brought her.

"Hi, mom. It's me... Kurzon."

I hated her.

They didn't need a new character at that late stage in the show.

They should have used the screentime for the other characters who were far more interesting.

The addition of Ezri Dax was the only criticism I have of the otherwise brilliant DS9.

I hated her.

They didn't need a new character at that late stage in the show.

They should have used the screentime for the other characters who were far more interesting.

The addition of Ezri Dax was the only criticism I have of the otherwise brilliant DS9.

269771[/snapback]

Once again, you really are the King. :flowers:

I puzzyfoot around with everyone else out here trying not hurt anyone's feelings, but you just tell it like it is, your majesty.

I hated Ezri, too. Why not just have Jadzia reassigned somewhere and let her call in every once in a while? It was just one more season and you are right ... they had many other main characters I would rather have spent time with rather than having Ezri shoved down our throats at every turn.

Edited by gul_nodrog

I'm glad to see some people not afrad to speak their minds, and that's the point right?

But look at it this way... We weren't getting a new character. We were getting half of one.

I liked Ezri, I thought the character really grew over the course of season 7. I also thought there were some great stories written around her.

Worf having to struggle with Jadzia being dead yet Ezri having all of her memories, the Worf/Ezri "romance" that almost was and then the Julian/Ezri romance that did happen was great.

I wish we had a couple more seasons for her character to grow more and for us to get more comfortable with her.

If they had a few more seasons, Ezri may have been tolerable.

The only problem IMO is that as a Counselor, she wasn't very interesting.

Like Troi. Honestly, I hated her character.

Counselors should only be used as recurring characters, not regulars.

:biggrin:

I've always liked Ezri Dax, always felt the character was very enjoyable and Nicole deBoer portrayed her very well.