Sign in to follow this  
Alexander32

A NEW STAR TREK!

Is The New Trek Good, Bad or u dont know?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Is The New Trek Good, Bad or u dont know?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Ugly
    • Dont Know
    • Too Soon
    • Bring Back Enterprise
    • Nice
    • I wanna see it!!!!!!!
    • Dont like the new stuff

Hey all...................... I havent been around lately but i've got some news

A friend of mine who is part of a Star Trek fan club, has found out about a new startrek being released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :assimilated:

Now the question is, this is good? Or is it bad????

It involves world war 3, and the upcoming events in the very near future set around 2010. It also shows the first lunar and mars colonies.

Whats your opinion????

I would have to agree with the king I would need to see proof. Other than that I would not really want to see anouther preshow their has been to much with enterprise and star wars. I would like to see something around the end of voyager. IMHO

I doubt this is true. Paramount are almost certainly planning to rest the franchise for a few years, at least until Berman's contract expires.

Jumping directly from one show to the next is the mistake they made with VOY, where as soon as it ended ENT began. Big mistake IMO.

StarTrek.COM is the ONLY website I trust regarding information about Star Trek.

So far, they have said absolutely nothing about this alleged "new Star Trek" that this thread's author referred to.

If StarTrek.COM mention it, then I'll believe it.

Until they do, I won't.

I really don't know. That's my vote.

I'd like to see a new Star Trek - a good one, off course - soon. However, its probably not likely to happen soon. I hope its nothing to do with preshow stuff cos I think its too near the present. I'd rather see something way way into the future.

I would love to see a series that takes place after Voyager, it doesn't necessarily have to include Voyager though. It would be interesting to see how the Alpha Quadrant rebuilds after the costly and devastating Dominion War. Also, it would be interesting to see the Federation during their switch from military back to exploration.

Also, it would be interesting to see the Federation during their switch from military back to exploration

There are two schools of thought inside the Trek fanbase right now.

The "dovish" approach of exploration and episodes which are more like obvious morality tales.

and...

The "hawkish" approach of darker stories, including those that involve conflict. This is the approach DS9 took and it's one I support. I don't like "Roddenberry Utopianism". These episodes would also feature morality tales, but ones without happy endings and presented in a more subtle manner.

Now, this can be explored in a future Trek series precisely by showing the contrast and difference of opinion inside Starfleet and maybe the Federation as a whole as to whether their focus should be on peaceful exploration, or cautious militarism.

Edited by The King

Fascinating idea, but it wouldn't really be Star Trek would it? How could you call it Star Trek when space travel would be fifty years away? And how could it involve WWIII if it is set around 2010? WWIII ends in 2053 and I cannot see a nuclear war lasting 40 years let alone only causing 600 million deaths (seems like a relatively small figure for a war that long). The lunar and mars colonies seem a little sketchy for that time period as well.

As much as I would like to see the next Star Trek soon, I don't think this next release suggested is plausible. I don't think this idea could carry either a movie or a TV show and setting it so close to modern times could easily destroy the idea that the Star Trek universe is 'our universe'. Thus far, there are a few minor inconsistencies with our world today (i.e. no Eugenics Wars or Nomad).

So far, the only ideas I've heard for the next movie are the Romulan War (the one I'd prefer), something about the first Federation president being assassinated and then having to solve the mystery (i guess holding the Federation together with a bit of STVI, but this doesn't convey this gritty approach described by Jenderson IMO), or something about a ship under the command of Section 31 (time period unknown).

Nothing really solid but I think they're better ideas than the one being suggested.

It would be nice if its about a Romulan War post Nemesis. I'm sure something traggic can happen and war breaks out. A Gorn war would be nice too.

Doesn't sound very interesting. And how come your friend knows this when no one here does?

Yeah, and BRING BACK ENTERPRISE!!!

Edited by sea trooper

How about a Cardassian series? It could show the rebuilding of Cardassia and how their "war machine", to use the term from WWII for the Germans which the Cardassians were based on, ended abruptly. We could also be shown another side to the brutal oppressive Cardassian demeanor, one maybe like Tora Ziyal.

How about a Cardassian series? It could show the rebuilding of Cardassia and how their "war machine", to use the term from WWII for the Germans which the Cardassians were based on, ended abruptly. We could also be shown another side to the brutal oppressive Cardassian demeanor, one maybe like Tora Ziyal.

Would work best as a mini-serial/series.

Using my "Project For A New Federation Century" criteria, which is incredibly flexible, any story idea considered too slight to be made into a seven or more-season series could be explored in a mini-series format of three episodes or so.

Edited by The King

I can't see this being true. First of all they took a chance with a prequel series and it got cancelled, I've a feeling that they may go back to the safer area of a TNG or DS9 style Star Trek. I think it'll be another few years before they decide on a concept for the new series.

The Cardassian idea is quite interesting. It might be good to see the Star Trek world from the point of view of an alien species. The Trill might be interesting. Perhaps a human/Trill combination.

Would work best as a mini-serial/series.

Using my "Project For A New Federation Century" criteria, which is incredibly flexible, any story idea considered too slight to be made into a seven or more-season series could be explored in a mini-series format of three episodes or so.

329684[/snapback]

I really don't like the idea of miniseries. I don't know why, it just doesn't feel right for Star Trek. I think ideas like that should be stuck too in the novels and the series can maybe handle them in mini-arcs a la Enterprise season 4.

They have to be flexible now with Star Trek.

Simply sticking to a series format with a few arcs is too rigid.

Paramount have to give a lot of thought to Star Trek before they bring it back.

They have to be flexible now with Star Trek.

Simply sticking to a series format with a few arcs is too rigid.

Paramount have to give a lot of thought to Star Trek before they bring it back.

329865[/snapback]

Frankly, I don't care. I think mini-series are a bad idea. I hardly think it;s too rigid to stick with a series. I think it's too rigid to stick to one network.

Frankly, I don't care.

About what?

I hardly think it;s too rigid to stick with a series.

It isn't. But they need a mixture of formats.

Mini-series allow a wide array of stories to be covered. The Star Trek universe has many potential stories that CAN be explored in several chapters of a mini-serial, but they are far too slight to stretch over a series format. Now rather than simply ignoring those stories, the mini-serial format will deal with those.

Mini-series will be a bad idea if they are poorly written. Handled properly, they will be successful.

I think it's too rigid to stick to one network.

The series has to be on one network. Mini-series could be released direct to DVD.

Doesn't seem like a Star Trek series at all. I will not follow a 'Star Trek' series, that is on the basis of World War Three. That isn't what Roddenberry would want, so I will not support this move. And, well your friend at this fan club of yours is just lying. He doesnt know anything.

Frankly, I don't care.

About what?

I hardly think it;s too rigid to stick with a series.

It isn't. But they need a mixture of formats.

Mini-series allow a wide array of stories to be covered. The Star Trek universe has many potential stories that CAN be explored in several chapters of a mini-serial, but they are far too slight to stretch over a series format. Now rather than simply ignoring those stories, the mini-serial format will deal with those.

Mini-series will be a bad idea if they are poorly written. Handled properly, they will be successful.

I think it's too rigid to stick to one network.

The series has to be on one network. Mini-series could be released direct to DVD.

329882[/snapback]

The series does not have to be on one network. TNG and DS9 were syndicated in first-run meaning the series had no official network. Which also meant that the writers on those series were able to write unfettered by network demands and the results were good. Voyager and Enterprise aired on UPN which forced them to bow to their demands and their ratings suffered because they were locked into a single time slot on a marginal network

The idea of mini-series just doesn't sit right with me. I would support the idea if all these miniseries were one television series, i.e. the oft proposed Star Trek Treks. I do not like the idea of stand-alone miniseries. It seems like they will just end up being like the novels but they will be canon and I think a lot of damage could be done. They also inhibit the character-driven drama that is central to Star Trek.

I don't really think the format needs to be altered drastically. Just take 2 or 3 years off, set the next series in the 25th century on a starship (i.e. Enterprise-F) and do something similar to TNG with DS9-esque running plot lines (Still lots of the galaxy to explore). Synidicate the show in first run and stay true to established canon (all writers should be given the Encyclopedia and relevant technical manuals) and Roddenberry's vision (i.e Keep the Federation intact).

DO NOT LET JMS TAKE OVER. Apparently, his idea is to 're-imagine' the Original Series, which would be absolutlely terrible.

Honestly, no matter what drives everyone else to their own opinions, I like Star Trek in every form. There isn't one single episode or movie I don't like and I'll stand by Star Trek wherever the producers take it.

Edited by Eratosthenes

Click For Spoiler
The series does not have to be on one network. TNG and DS9 were syndicated in first-run meaning the series had no official network. Which also meant that the writers on those series were able to write unfettered by network demands and the results were good.

The results were good because good writers were employed. That's the key point. There are many shows on television which are on major networks like NBC, ABC, CBS and so forth which are well written. First run syndication is certainly an option for a new Star Trek show which will arrive in a few years.

Voyager and Enterprise aired on UPN which forced them to bow to their demands and their ratings suffered because they were locked into a single time slot on a marginal network

VOY and ENT suffered because the good writers from TNG and especially DS9 were missing. If you take people like that out of the scenario, then inevitably, the quality will drop and the ratings will slide. Ironically, being on UPN probably saved those two shows. If they were on CBS for example, VOY would have struggled terribly and ENT would have been history after the second or third season. But I do agree that UPN is not adequate for Star Trek.

You could have the best show in the world, but if it's on a crappy network that people hate and fewer can access, then what's the point?

The idea of mini-series just doesn't sit right with me. I would support the idea if all these miniseries were one television series, i.e. the oft proposed Star Trek Treks. I do not like the idea of stand-alone miniseries. It seems like they will just end up being like the novels but they will be canon and I think a lot of damage could be done. They also inhibit the character-driven drama that is central to Star Trek.

Character development can be done relatively quickly if you write the story effectively. A mini-serial of around six to eight chapters would be ample time to develop the characters (which would generally already be known to some degree by Star Trek fans) and it's enough time to develop a coherant storyline, especially if they deal with some aspect of the Star Trek universe already known.

I don't really think the format needs to be altered drastically. Just take 2 or 3 years off, set the next series in the 25th century on a starship (i.e. Enterprise-F) and do something similar to TNG with DS9-esque running plot lines (Still lots of the galaxy to explore).

I agree with all of this.

Synidicate the show in first run and stay true to established canon (all writers should be given the Encyclopedia and relevant technical manuals) and Roddenberry's vision (i.e Keep the Federation intact).

I agree with the syndication idea. I'm less in agreement over the canon issue. Handing the writers encyclopedia's is fine so they are aware of existing Trek events and continuity, but the technical manual aspect is unnecessary. When writing Trek teleplays, usually technical details are left to people like Sternbach, Okuda or Shankar to deal with. Generally I favour a move away from technobabble-based episodes.

I don't think they need to stick too greatly to Roddenberry's Vision in anything more that the show will be set in space aboard a starship. Other than that, anything is fair game, and obviously I would not be opposed to a Fall Of The Federation thread running through a new Star Trek show. For the main reason that I don't like the Roddenberry Utopian vision that some fans may.

DO NOT LET JMS TAKE OVER. Apparently, his idea is to 're-imagine' the Original Series, which would be absolutlely terrible.

Agreed. He can certainly come up with a few ideas here and there, but as for full creative control and a TOS re-boot? No way.

Personally, I still think he has a grudge against Paramount over his Babylon 5 conspiracy theory.

I'm looking forward to some mini-series... especially those directly released to DVD. I think that would certainly be good.

I really hope there's gonna be some form of documentary based in the ST world. Like I've mentioned before in another thread.... Here are some titles that I think would be intersting:

1. A day in the Life of a Romulan Starship

2. The Ancient art of Bat'leth fighting.

And here's one I saw on someone's banner and I find it very nice. I can't remember whose it is:

Klingon Eye for the Human Guy.

And we continue:

3. Evolution of Starship Building.

4. Effective Raktajina Cultivation.

5. Wine and Dine - Romulan Ale

6. The Blue Chef (Adapted from the Naked Chef. This would show about Bolian or Andorian cooking).

7. Deltan Sutra (something like Karma Sutra.... this should be rated 18 years old and above).

Looks guys, there are countless more titles that can be used for a documentary. I'd love to see them on Discovery channel or National Geographic. lol