Sign in to follow this  
LordOfTheBorg

Walmart: Spawn Of Satan or Good Shopping?

Spawn Of Satan? Good Shopping?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Spawn Of Satan? Good Shopping?

• Spawn Of Satan
    • Good Shopping!

Wal-Mart has good stuff with great prices. Also, don't forget Sam's Club.

Again, it could be said what is claimed they do to small businesses could have a Satanic connection but I can't deny the lower prices, for saving money it's good shopping.

Seeing as the better we do in shopping, the bigger year end bonus we get, I'll say... Everyone come shop at Wal-Mart!!

I don't think they're "evil" in the religious sense of the word. In fact, Sam Walton really had a good theory - I watched his bio and he was working for another chain store (Penney's I think but not sure) and suggested they add on less of a profit margin - they'd get less profit per item but they'd sell more items and get more total profit. They ignored him and he started his own store - the rest is history. Walmart is about the only place I can afford to shop.

People opposed the super Walmart here for the same reasons AE mentioned - it would hurt other businesses. Yes, they do offer competition but should I have to pay more for everything so the Mom and Pop Shop can stay in business?

If you think about it, Wal-Mart can afford to pay the salary of the mom's and pop's from their stores when they go under if the people go work for Wal-Mart.

Good Shopping, People said the same things about Sears in the 60's. Malls in the 70's,Kmart in the 80's into mid 90's and Wal*Mart now, what Killed the Ma and pop stores were the Cities, why go there and pay a Meter to park, when you can go to a "box" store or a Mall and park for free, thats what hur the downtown areas and Ma and Pop stores

I don't like Wal-Mart.

The one near me is nearly always disorganized and needing a cleaning.

I can find better deals elsewhere.

Now where my Mother lives, Wal-Mart is the only "full service" grocery, thus it is essential to that town.

That one is always clean and never cluttered.

I prefer SuperTarget to Wal-Mart anyday.

Walmart is great, but once again I don't know what you mean by 'Spawn of Satan'.

Now this is the poll that needed an “other”, I think they are both at the same time: they are the highest from of corruption in business, they have so much size they are politically-powerful; making them “Spawn Of Satan”; but then they have a lot of stuff that is hard to find in other stores and better prices on a lot of stuff; making them “Good Shopping!”, so are we looking at it from a shopping-only point of view or an over-all point of view?

Also are we talking about super Wal-Mart’s or just Wal-Mart’s?

I agree that this poll needs other. Yes, Wal-Mart has "great shopping" as far as goods at low prices. However, what bothers me about them, as with any national company, is that they have no loyalty to a community that a long time local business has. I have seen their ads and I know that they contribute to local charities, etc. What I am talking about is the commitment of family owned businesses that have been serving an area for 50, 75, 100 years. Local businesses in general are not going to suddenly abandon an area, if their profit margin slips, I don't trust national chains to not run if their profits dip. Locally owned businesses are anchors of a community, often run by families with a long term commitment and connection to an area. A pharmacy chain considered pulling out of poor Chicago neighborhoods a couple years ago. A firestorm of criticism caused them to shelve many of their closings. which would have left many poor neighborhoods without a closeby pharmacy. This profit only attitude, along with poor compensation for many chain store employees, makes me consider the Satan category when considering Wal-Mart and other huge chain companies, who often run local stores out of business.

Edited by trekz

If you think about it, Wal-Mart can afford to pay the salary of the mom's and pop's from their stores when they go under if the people go work for Wal-Mart

I would hope that Mom & Pop make more than minimum wage running their own store. One of the biggest criticisms of Walmart is the low wage they pay their employees.

I'm not a big fan of Walmart. Every Christmas season, the local Walmart starts staying open 24 hours in the weeks before Christmas. This is great for me since I work nights. I go there about 4:00 am with my Christmas list in hand. The problem I have with Walmart is that if I'm lucky, I may find only about 2-3 items on my list in the store. I much prefer K-Mart. They almost always have everything I'm looking for.

I like K-Mart better than Wal-Mart because K-Mart is never crowded. Wal-Mart parking sucks no matter what Wal-Mart I've visited. You can never find anyone to help you and when you do, they don't know squat.

It works a lot better if you shop at wal-mart.com to compare prices and see what is available. Then go to the store and buy the item after you've already researched and made your decision at home.

Wal-Mart is not the spawn of Satan and did not kill the "Mom and Pop" store. If I were Mom and Pop I'd go to work at Wal-Mart for the wages, the benefits, and the much lower stress level of working for someone else as opposed to running your own store. Who needs or wants that headache in this day and age, really. Let Wal-Mart do the worrying and enjoy your employee discount!

I cannot stand the parking at our WalMart.. but there are some good prices and some stuff we can only buy there. Only time I really cannot stand going there, is during the holidays... though that is more the fault of the customers who think they gotta race through the store and ram people to get to stuff faster than the other patrons in there ( I have gotten minorly injured a couple times by people "needing" to hurry through.. bruised ankles one year, actually broke the skin on one of my ankes the next when they rammed me with a cart). I decided to check out all the stores when doing my holiday shopping this past year, and K-Mart here is pretty quiet nearly all year not much going on. Target, though busy, people were not really bad. But the people coming into the Wal-Mart to shop?? Many were absolutely vicious!

Other than that time, they can get pretty bad there when we have a hurricane on its way, then people just get into panic mode. But then that could be said of ANY place of business, when those storms approach (Iwork at a food store, and we are on the beach).

But outside those occasions, it really is not too bad... save for the crappy parking.

I gotta mostly agree about the bad parking, (and the holiday crowds) I've only been to one which had ample convenient parking.

So far I've only had good encounters with the sales-persons. Most notable; a sales-person worked with me for an hour tracking down a item not in their stock, she found (the last) one of what I wanted at another WM store and reserved it for me in my name for pick up at my leisure.

Our local K-Mart has been taken over by Sears; it's being transformed into a "Sears Essentials" I asked a worker if this was going to happen to all KM, the reply was yes...

Just reading the May/June 2005 Archeaology magazine.

On page 20, World Roundups, Hawaii:

First Teotihuacan, now Oahu-Wal-Mart has run into another archaeological fire storm.

Archaeologists hired by the company are being investigated by the state attorney general's office for alleged desecration of human skeletal remains found at a construction site.

Has anyone ever heard of this in conjuction with Wal-Mart and other areas of the country?

And has anyone else heard details regarding this?

Is this typical Wal-Mart behavior?

I voted Spawn of Satan, I hate Wal-mart. I do not shop there I won't even drive thru their parking lot. They promote censorship and I will not spend my money on a place that censors music or books. there are a few other reasons to, but I won't drag this out unless asked.

In my eyes ,yes, Wal-mart is evil.