Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

What rating would you give ST V: "The Final Frontier"?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give ST V: "The Final Frontier"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

PRODUCTION NUMBER: 005

ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE: 06.09.1989

STARDATE: 8454.1

Place:

Earth

Galaxy center

Alien:

Klingons

Romulans

Vulcans

Ship:

Enterprise-A, U.S.S.

Klingon bird-of-prey

Character:

Caithlin Dar

Captain Klaa

Captain Korrd

James T. Kirk

Leonard H. McCoy

Spock

St. John Talbot

Sybok

Vixis

Definately not one of my favorite Treks, whether it be TOS or TNG. This one and VI rate last on my list of all ten Treks.

Worst Star Trek... anything. Ever. Not even a good story, and a stupid villain. The only-ONLY thing I liked was Uhura's fan dance. Only.

i voted average, cause I liked how well it showed the Friendship of Spock, Bones and Kirk, that makes the movie enjoyable for me

This movie has so many problems I just do not know where to begin. It could be from the exageration of the size of the enterprise to the transition from one story element to the next to the story in general.

It is like when you have a dream and things in the dream just do not fit together.

This film was horrendous. Shatner should never again direct another movie! He allowed Captain Kirk to become a buffoon in this one. Hated it through and through. The only thing I can't decide is if this movie is the worst Trek movie ever or Insurrection.

I strongly agree with those who do NOT LIKE this movie. Lots of problems with Kirk's direction. In trying to be funny imo he made fun of all the characters and had them do things I don't believe they would have done.

The villain was lame, we again discover a relative of a main character whom we and the other characters have NEVER HEARD OF in 20 years?! One of my least favorite Trek movies.

I strongly agree with those who do NOT LIKE this movie. Lots of problems with Kirk's direction. In trying to be funny imo he made fun of all the characters and had them do things I don't believe they would have done.

The villain was lame, we again discover a relative of a main character whom we and the other characters have NEVER HEARD OF in 20 years?! One of my least favorite Trek movies.

IMO, on the surface this movie may have its flaws and i can understand where you are coming from. What makes this movie great imo, is the moral of this story which is exemplified when McCoy asks Kirk if he thinks God is really "out there". Kirks response is not only well written and his delivery of the line expert, but it also sums up the lesson to be learned here, namely that "God" is inside of us and that our very consciences reflect our beliefs in our own personal God. This movie also touches on the concept of accepting others differences as reflected by Nimbus 3 and the ambassadors and denizens that occupied that parched planet- although they came from different corners of the galaxy, they each had their own personal demons to contend with and that gave them a common thread , albeit it was that much easier for Sybok to manipulate them, but we all know how that turned out for everyone.

I quote from a movie review by Mark Bourne in DVD Review to better articulate my problems with this movie...

"William Shatner's vanity project from 1989 is famously, fatally, painfully bad. It's a movie memorable only for its dopey script, Shatner's flavorless directing that does little to move the futile premise along, and shoddy special effects. ... it's Star Trek as old, fat Elvis bulging out of the sequined jumpsuit.

David Warner is wasted as a human ambassador with nothing to do, "God" is a children's Sunday school cliché, and the Klingon threat feels tacked on only to provide a Spock a big scene at the end.

Star Trek devotees know that the movie trashes series continuity (for starters, no way could the Enterprise travel to the "center of the galaxy" in less than decades or centuries) and there's little point in asking about things such as that easily penetrated impenetrable Great Barrier, or the unexplained "God" on the other side of it. (Bloopers like the wonky deck numbers during the rocket-boots-up-the-elevator-shaft scene are a separate matter altogether.) Simultaneously, the movie-lover in us wonders how an action-adventure picture about a spaceship crew going to meet "the Almighty" can be so goddamn boring.

(George Murdock's "God" is a Giant Floating Head that's the spitting image of the Cowardly Lion). There are long scenes that generate no feeling of intrigue, suspense, or danger although they're plainly supposed to. And at the end of this bloodless storytelling we're left with enough loose ends to weave Shatner a new hairpiece. There's no "wow" moment we can carry with us afterward. No awe, no spectacle, no fun. ...tired.

Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are written as parodies of their comfortable-old-shoe personas, exaggerated and cartoonish, so it's impossible to know how much of these unusually lackluster performances arise inevitably from the poor material the actors received. The trio's much-vaunted camaraderie does provide a couple of pleasing moments, but the movie hits that button so often it borders on the maudlin. Their bookending campfire scenes, capped by excruciating singalongs of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," aren't touching and revealing, they're cloying and mawkish.

The visual effects bring to mind the old 1960s TV series instead of a late-1980s major motion picture.

On a level that's narcissistic rather than dramatic, Kirk is more rugged, smarter, braver, stronger, wiser, and nobler than anyone else in Final Frontier. All he lacks is Kung Fu Grip. The script is blotched time and again by characters remarking on how awesomely wonderful or formidable Captain Kirk is. In a key scene his supercilious reaction shots directed toward a babbling McCoy are insufferable.

The captain's long-serving comrades, trained Starfleet officers all, are reduced to fatuous, weak-minded cadets who are lost without him even when vacationing in a U.S. national park. It's hard to take them seriously as grown-ups, never mind seasoned professionals. Before you can say "Scientology" they're Moonie-ized by Sybok's empty self-help platitudes, which come across as samplings from an Oprah's Book Club paperback. (At least in Wrath of Khan Chekov could blame his betrayal of Kirk on that icky earwig.)

Sybok tries to ply Kirk, Spock, and McCoy with his mental whammy-power and nebulous New Age twaddle so that they will reveal their "secret pain" and thus "free" themselves. Only Kirk has the mettle to resist the interactive psychodrama that's part of the experience. "Damn it, Bones, you're a doctor," he lectures. "You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with a wave of a magic wand. They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves! I don't want my pain taken away! I need my pain!"

In Voyage Home, we bit our lip as we watched good old Mr. Scott turned into a buffoonish comic sidekick. Now Scotty completes this character assassination when he Jar-Jars himself senseless by walking his forehead into a support beam ("I know this ship like the back of my hand" conk! Nyuk nyuk nyuk, as three prior stooges would say). Worse, this time everyone gets at least one scene that makes us feel embarrassed for them. Matronly Nichelle Nichols will never live down her "naked" fan dance. In a lost-in-the-woods scene early on, Sulu and Chekov suddenly channel Lenny and Squiggy.

Even DeForest Kelley, the only one who made it through Voyage Home with his dignity in place, gets the treatment. Starting with his neck kerchief, he looks like Don Knotts' Mr. Furley from Three's Company, and his role overplays every McCoyish tic and trope.

Fortunately, with Nick Meyer (Wrath of Khan) directing again, everyone pretty much redeemed themselves in the next movie, the last of the "old cast" features, The Undiscovered Country.

And one can make a case for Final Frontier possessing a virtue that at least two subsequent Star Trek films, IX and X, do not, thus making it not necessarily the bottom of the Trek feature film barrel. At least it tried to give audiences something thematically big and cosmically "deep" for their movie-stub dollars. It failed utterly, but ambition and intent count for something. At least Final Frontier wanted to give us that geeky splayed-fingers Vulcan salute."

Edited by trekz

One persons disappointment is anothers realization of something greater. I never put to much faith in the words of critics. I have always approached each movie with an open mind regardless of what others say. For me, The Final Frontier was a great cinematic experience and a film that i enjoy to watch. :)

One persons disappointment is anothers realization of something greater. I never put to much faith in the words of critics. I have always approached each movie with an open mind regardless of what others say. For me, The Final Frontier was a great cinematic experience and a film that i enjoy to watch. :lol:

Good for you, Ghost! :) If everyone agreed on everything, it would be a pretty boring world.

The problem with V is they tried to build on the success of IV by being funny. It didn't work for one simple reason - it was charracter-driven not situation-driven.

Star Trek IV was funny because of the situation they were in, not the characters they were. "A Piece of the Action" was the same way, although that was slightly character-driven as well. Star Trek V tried to make the characters themselves funny and it just didn't work.

I vote that it's good. What can I say, I like it.

1. Climbing El Capitan

2. Spock trying to understand the meaning of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" and the marsh "melon"

3. Melville correction speech

4. Spock holding a gun to Sybok as Kirk yells "Shoot him!!"

5. The Captain Chekov deception

6. Bones and Spock's hidden pain

7. The God scenes "What does God need with a ship?" "You don't ask the almighty for I.D."

It's definitely a like or hate movie, but I do like it

3. A lot of cute chuckling moments, but very few laugh out loud. Very disjointed, in terms of continuity, which I guess comes down to direction. The characterizations were about standard. Sybok was an ok character. That prisoner creature at the center was weak. The story overall had some good intentions, but wasn't executed as well as it could have been. Ho-hum flick altogether. I'd rank either this or TMP as my least favorite.

I can't say that it's one of my favorites.

I think that it could have been better.

But it's too late for that.

It was terrible in so many ways, I mean seriously Sybok controls people by releasing their pain?, who does he think he is? Dr. Phil? and there was one part where the klingons blasted God and he blew up like the death star, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!?! :eek: and last time I checked KLINGON DON'T SAY SORRY!

Edited by NuclearWessel

SPOCK: What do you think Captain?

KIRK: Me me me, me me me. Look at me as i say me with me, myself and I.

MCcCOY: Damn'it Jim

KIRK: MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

KIRK: MeeeEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeee, I I I I , Me mE MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEM ME

SPOCK: Not logical Captain

KIRK: ME

SPOCK: Indeed

KIRK: ME

I only saw it once, and the only things I remember about it are Kirk climbing the mountain & wearing the "Go climb a mountain" t-shirt, the campfire-marshmelons-row,row,row your boat scene, Sybok laughing, and someone asking why God would need a spaceship.

It's the only Star Trek movie I've only seen once. BTW, I voted "not very good".

Sign in to follow this