Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Caretaker

What rating would you give "Caretaker"?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give "Caretaker"?

• 5. It's great, I loved it!
    • 4. It's good
    • 3. It's average
    • 2. It's not that good
    • 1. I hated it!

Production: 101

Season: 1 Episode: 1

DVD Disc: 1

Air Date: 01.16.1995

Stardate: 48315.6

In the late 24th century, a renegade group known as the Maquis operate outside the law to right what they see as Federation injustices. After infiltrating a Maquis cell to apprise Starfleet of the group's activities, Lieutenant Tuvok, along with the crew of a ship commanded by the Maquis captain Chakotay, disappear in an area of space known as the Badlands. Tuvok's commanding officer, Captain Janeway, leads a mission to find the Vulcan lieutenant, enlisting the aid of Starfleet prisoner Tom Paris, a former Maquis member, to guide her ship, the U.S.S. Voyager NCC-74656, through the Badlands.

Considered a traitor by most of Voyager's crew, Paris strikes up a friendship with Ensign Harry Kim, a naive young Starfleet Academy grad. Kim learns that Paris was drummed out of Starfleet after his piloting error caused the deaths of three officers. The outcast joined the ranks of the Maquis, but was soon arrested by Federation authorities.

After reaching the Badlands, Voyager encounters an inexplicable phenomenon that sends the ship hurtling to the Delta Quadrant, located 70,000 light years from home. The catapult effect kills a number of crewmembers, including the Chief Medical Officer, who is replaced by an Emergency Medical Hologram (EMH) that attends to the wounded. But the EMH has barely begun his work when the entire crew of Voyager is transported to what appears to be a pastoral farm, populated by friendly humans. But it's only an illusion; the farm is actually the interior of the Array, a huge space station, and the residents are holograms. The crew is imprisoned within a strange laboratory facility, alongside the missing Maquis.

After being subjected to a painful examination, the crews of Voyager and the Maquis vessel are returned to their respective ships, docked outside the Array. But two crewpersons are missing: Harry Kim and B'Elanna Torres, the half-Klingon, half-human engineer from the Maquis vessel. Returning to the "farm," Janeway confronts the only remaining inhabitant, an old man playing a banjo. But the man cares nothing about their dilemma and offers them no information about the missing officers.

Noting that the Array is sending energy pulses toward the fifth planet of a neighboring system, Janeway sets course in that direction. Far beneath the surface of that planet, an ailing Kim and Torres regain consciousness in a medical facility. But what they're doing there — and why — they have yet to discover.

Cast:

Kate Mulgrew as Kathryn Janeway

Robert Beltran as Chakotay

Robert Duncan McNeill as Tom Paris

Ethan Phillips as Neelix

Robert Picardo as The Doctor

Tim Russ as Tuvok

Garrett Wang as Harry Kim

Jennifer Lien as Kes

Guest Cast:

Bruce French as Ocampa Doctor

Richard Poe as Gul Evek

Josh Clark as Lt. Carey

Alicia Coppola as Lt. Stadi

Stan Ivar as Mark

Scott Jaeck as Cavit

Eric David Johnson as Daggin

Basil Langton as Banjo Man

Scott MacDonald as Rollins

Jeff McCarthy as Human Doctor

Gavan O'Herlihy as Jabin

Jennifer S. Parsons as Ocampa Nurse

Angela Paton as Aunt Adah

Keely Sims as Farmer's Daughter

David Selsburg as Toscat

Armin Shimerman as Quark

Creative Staff:

Director: Winrich Kolbe

Teleplay By: Michael Piller & Jeri Taylor

Story By: Rick Berman & Michael Piller & Jeri Taylor

Related Items:

herbal medicine

trianoline

Arias

Caldik Prime

Ocampa

Terikof Belt

Volnar Colony

Al-Batani, U.S.S.

Array, the

Intrepid-class starship

Kazon raider

shuttle, Neelix's

Voyager, U.S.S.

Kazon raider mothership

Kazon raider, small

corn on the cob

deviled eggs

deviled wood throk

tomato soup

Kazon ships

raider, Kazon

raider mothership, Kazon

shuttle, Kazon

A great beginning to a Trek series, if not one of the best! Great start for the cast and crew of the Voyager (the only problem I have is the Intrepid class ships, which IMO are an eyesore) and the Maquis conflict assimilating to the ship make great future storylines.

I gave it a 4. Actually a very good storyline. My chief beef is that they don't hide the exposition well in it. (at least with this part of it. Pts. I and II aren't separated on the rental DVD, so I'm not too sure where Pt 1 ends.) The exposition here FEELS like they're trying to inform whoever may be listening in. Beyond that, this is a very necessary episode too. If you don't see this episode first, you REALLY get left with too many questions. That's another problem I have with it. Nonetheless, a good first half of an episode.

4 - Pretty solid episode.

I would have liked to have seen a little more of the Voyager crew on DS9 before getting trapped in the Delta quadrant just for fun.

I really thought it was cool when you get to see what the Caretaker actually looks like, then it just withers away right before Janeway and Tuvok.

4. A decent enough episode and we see some more of the marquis and also found out that Chakotay crew had a spy called Tuvok. Didn't really like Neelik or the Ocampa much and the Kazon were just like any other species I have seen in the series so the caretaker was the only good episode but it was the pilot so I cut it some slack

Sign in to follow this