Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Elementary, My Dear Data

What rating would you give Elementary, My Dear Data?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What rating would you give Elementary, My Dear Data?

• 5. It?s great, I loved it!
    • 4. It?s good.
    • 3. It?s average.
    • 2. It?s not that good.
    • 1. I hated it.

Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season: 2

Episode #: 3

Production #: 129

Episode Name: Elementary, My Dear Data

Original Air Date: 12.05.88

Review not yet available.

Cast:

Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard

Jonathan Frakes as William Thomas Riker

Brent Spiner as Data

LeVar Burton as Geordi La Forge

Michael Dorn as Worf

Marina Sirtis as Deanna Troi

Diana Muldaur as Katherine Pulaski

Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher

Guest Cast:

Daniel Davis as Moriarty

Alan Shearman as Lestrade

Director: Robert Bowman

Written By: Brian Alan Lane

Related Items:

Victory, U.S.S.

Victory, H.M.S.

Professor James Moriarty

Excellent episode.

Superbly presented. The "London" holodeck setting was beautifully realised.

The performance of Daniel Davis as Moriarty was excellent.

I can never decide whether I like Data's "Sherlock Holmes" or Picard's "Dixon Hill" holodeck programs better. Heck I love them both.

The idea of the "Sentient Hologram" that was featured in this episode was actually the birth of the "Doctor" on ST VOY. In fact originally, it was going to be Moriarty himself who would be on VOY, but they understandably scrapped that idea and replaced it with the Holo-Doctor.

I'm glad they made the Professor a sympathetic character and not a generic "bad guy". As an educated intelligent man, naturally he would be more complex. At the end of it all, he was just a new life form that wanted to live.

Excellent.

Rating = 5

I voted this one a five (which I know seems to be a recurring theme regarding episodes featuring Data... however so many of them were just that good of episodes).

Definately enjoyed the holodeck scenes, and the story as a whole. I liked that they left the story open for Moriarty to make a reappearance (I liked Ship In A Bottle a lot too).

The mistakes are so stupid I bout turned off the television. How can a piece of paper, created by the holodeck, LEAVE the holodeck? When Data walked out of the holodeck w/ the piece of paper in hand, it should have instantly disappeared, but it didn't.

And what's the possibility of the Enterprise computer creating a personality capable of defeating data? Even if it could, it'd be more than a momentary "surge" in power as witnessed by the bridge, it'd take a lot of CPU power to create such a personality.

When the professor developed consciousness, Counselor Troi could "sense" it. How can you sense a computer generated holographic image? It's not real.

When Picard found out the Holodeck wouldn't shut down because of an override by Laforge (The computer must have given Moriarty LaForge's access level), Picard could have easily shut it down under his authority, he has master access.

Don't get me started on that episode, it completely ticked me off. heh. :laugh:

Sign in to follow this