Sign in to follow this  

Just to say I like Harry Potter and have read all the books. I guess what I am asking is do you like the movies and books and after reading all the books I have noticed that the books are getting more and more adult like the author nows that more adults are reading them now than kids what do you think?

I just love Harry Potter, and everything he stands for. My brother who was staying with us left his Harry Potter books behind when he left, and told me to read them. I scoffed, and said that I wasn't going to read kids books. But it rained one day, and I was at a loss for something to do, so I picked the first book up, and the rest is history. And now I'm a ardent Harry Potter fan, and I love the Movies. :)

Stardate:213458.9

I read the first two books and didnt really get into i that much.I also went and saw the first movie and still didnt like it.So i guess my answer is dislike.

I've read a few of the books and both movies and I hate it. can't stand the way she take standard fantasy Ideas and turns them on there heads.

I love the books, but I dispise the movies. And, (this is just my perosonal opinion) I think Harry himself is a bit of a Gary Stue...Or just that he's always good, he never gets in trouble, he's just kind of almost too perfect.

But don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy reading the books :)

I have never read the books so can't comment on that part of the Potter facination, but have seen both the movies and walked away less then impressed, just seemed to me to be another way for hollywood to take money from children with splashy effects and no real meat on the story..imo

Just heard this on the news as I opened this forum to reply. In England someone has stolen 8000 copies (A$350 000 value) of the new Harry Potter book three days before its official release.

I have read The Philosopher's Stone and found it okay but quite slow. Had to remember it was written for children so consequently I haven't tried to read the Chamber of Secrets.

First movie was good except for it was a little too long and again slow- the effects were good. The second movie I found to be more exciting and suspenseful. Loved the Gryphon staircase leading the Dumbledore's Room.

Now that I have seen the second movie I am considering trying to read the rest of the series.

My kids (classroom) have now moved onto Lemony Snickett (A Series of Unfortunate Events Series) and Emily Rodda (Deltora Series) and love them as much as Harry Potter.

Absolutely love the Harry Potter books. And perhaps that your're noticing that the stories are beginning to read more adult like is perhaps the prime audience, as well as the main characters, are growing up as well. As an adult, I find the stories to be not only highly entertaining but carry very important messages to the young about choices, truth, loyalty and faith and tell them in such a way that the young reader isn't put off by feeling like they're being lectured to. What entertainment for children can make that boast and keep them interested in reading at the same time?

I think Harry Potter is a good series of books

my niece and nephew read them over and over again.......I admit that I did not want anything to do with the books at all till all the fuss died down about them.....did not want to seem to eger to read them lol

I really enjoy Harry Potter books. I love the way all the books tie each other in, and everything is related. I love the characters, I love the storylines/plots, I love the mythology, I love the humour. And I love the way that it seems so real (the characters and their reactions and life in general) even while it is fantasy. Cant wait for Order of the Pheonix!

A new one is coming out!!!!!! WONDERFUL! its about time!!!!!

I love them. The movie (only saw the first) was ok, but i think my imagination did them better justice than Hollywood.

I can't wait til my little ones are old enough to read them or for me to read them to them.

I also like using my imagination more than hollywood's...but the movies were ok.

I ordered Pheonix, so it should be comming to my doorstep any day now :rolleyes: :ph34r:

Eh, I hate Harry Potter books and movies. It portrays witchcraft and the likes in an "OK" light, when it's nothing but evil. Sure, it's all good fun in the books and movies, but that's a false message. Witchcraft is pure evil. Now, if you're one who can differentiate between a fun story and that which is evil, go for it. However, if you read the book or see the movie and think witchcraft is innocent, which I suspect a lot do, then I have a problem with it.

I don't really see what it has to do with witchcraft. It's just a good story, and it's fantasy. How does it promote witchcraft??

My dad and I picked up two copy's of the Order of the Pheonix a little after midnight last night! *does a little happy dance*

Although, it's been so long since I read the last one, I may have to re-read the whole series! :rolleyes:

Eh, I hate Harry Potter books and movies.  It portrays witchcraft and the likes in an "OK" light, when it's nothing but evil.  Sure, it's all good fun in the books and movies, but that's a false message.  Witchcraft is pure evil.  Now, if you're one who can differentiate between a fun story and that which is evil, go for it.  However, if you read the book or see the movie and think witchcraft is innocent, which I suspect a lot do, then I have a problem with it.

In my opinion It's just another classic tale of Good overcoming Evil. This always gets the publics interest. Add the next vital ingredient.....the Meek (Harry, complete with glasses) overcoming the Strong using special powers. Joe Public identifies with this as he/she feels powerless to control what he/she sees as injustices in the world. 'If only we had some super powers, we could put things right'. No wonder super heroes such as Superman, Batman, Spiderman etc are so popular.

The powers used in Harry Potter may be 'wizardry', but are they any stranger than the powers used by our other heroes....flying through the sky...spinning webs.....turning invisible etc etc ?. As a child I 'knew' that such powers were fictional, and I believe the children of today take the same view with Harry Potter. In a nutshell, I think it's all harmless.

I picked up the Order of the Pheonix yesterday in the store and was tempted to look at the end to see which major character dies. wut75.gif

As long as it's not Hermione - these stories have too few female (good) characters already.

I picked up the Order of the Pheonix yesterday in the store and was tempted to look at the end to see which major character dies. wut75.gif

As long as it's not Hermione - these stories have too few female (good) characters already.

Can you believe it, they put it in todays newspaper. :rolleyes:

Eh, I hate Harry Potter books and movies.  It portrays witchcraft and the likes in an "OK" light, when it's nothing but evil.  Sure, it's all good fun in the books and movies, but that's a false message.  Witchcraft is pure evil.  Now, if you're one who can differentiate between a fun story and that which is evil, go for it.  However, if you read the book or see the movie and think witchcraft is innocent, which I suspect a lot do, then I have a problem with it.

In my opinion It's just another classic tale of Good overcoming Evil. This always gets the publics interest. Add the next vital ingredient.....the Meek (Harry, complete with glasses) overcoming the Strong using special powers. Joe Public identifies with this as he/she feels powerless to control what he/she sees as injustices in the world. 'If only we had some super powers, we could put things right'. No wonder super heroes such as Superman, Batman, Spiderman etc are so popular.

The powers used in Harry Potter may be 'wizardry', but are they any stranger than the powers used by our other heroes....flying through the sky...spinning webs.....turning invisible etc etc ?. As a child I 'knew' that such powers were fictional, and I believe the children of today take the same view with Harry Potter. In a nutshell, I think it's all harmless.

All vallid points, but with Superman, he's an alien. Siderman's a mutant, Batman's a millionaire out to take the laws into his own hands, and so forth...

With Harry Potter, sure, he's a good kid overcoming evil in an adventurous story. In that aspect, I think it's an excellent idea. If he'd just used fancy magic or something, that'd be fine. However, we have witches, wizards, spells, hexs, and so forth. Sure, it seems "nice and good", but in real life, it is a tool of evil. The story is not what I have a problem with. It's the fact that witchcraft is portrayed as a good thing in the film when the hero uses it to fight the bad guy and so forth. I'm not demanding anyone to agree with me that it's an "evil story", I'm just trying to help you understand my view point. :rolleyes:

All vallid points, but with Superman, he's an alien. Siderman's a mutant, Batman's a millionaire out to take the laws into his own hands, and so forth...

With Harry Potter, sure, he's a good kid overcoming evil in an adventurous story. In that aspect, I think it's an excellent idea. If he'd just used fancy magic or something, that'd be fine. However, we have witches, wizards, spells, hexs, and so forth. Sure, it seems "nice and good", but in real life, it is a tool of evil. The story is not what I have a problem with. It's the fact that witchcraft is portrayed as a good thing in the film when the hero uses it to fight the bad guy and so forth. I'm not demanding anyone to agree with me that it's an "evil story", I'm just trying to help you understand my view point. B)

Well, that helps. I still don't agree, but I do understand, now. :lol:

I have never read the books or hadn't thought of the movies because they were kids books. However, when all the ruckus about banning the books from schools started I got curious and rented the first movie. It was pretty good for a kid's movie.

It seems like I read books about magic when I was a child and I knew the difference.

I have never read the books or hadn't thought of the movies because they were kids books.  However, when all the ruckus about banning the books from schools started I got curious and rented the first movie.  It was pretty good for a kid's movie.

It seems like I read books about magic when I was a child and I knew the difference.

I don't think the book should be banned. "Freedom of Speech" :lol: I just think it should be optional and that there should be a disclaimer that "witchcraft" is involved in a mild manner, so the parents know what their kids are reading. B)

I have never read the books or hadn't thought of the movies because they were kids books.  However, when all the ruckus about banning the books from schools started I got curious and rented the first movie.  It was pretty good for a kid's movie.

I don't think the book should be banned. "Freedom of Speech" :lol: I just think it should be optional and that there should be a disclaimer that "witchcraft" is involved in a mild manner, so the parents know what their kids are reading. B)

I can't understand wanting to ban the books myself ... " What are they frightened of " ?

This made me laugh when it was on the news

Potter lookalikes cause problems in politics

Get this: Dobby the house-elf could be taken to court because some people think he looks like the Russian president. They are angry because they think the filmmakers deliberately modelled Dobby on the face of Russia's boss, Vladimir Putin. A Russian newspaper has even reported lawyers are preparing a legal case against the special effects people who created Dobby. But so far there's not been an official comment on the matter from the President.

150x113_trailer_filme2.jpgputin.jpg